• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    (Note: some of the descriptions are for the benefit of Chaps and Sawman...they will understand and would have asked anyway.)

Went out last night for a quick look at the SW peanut field. Only 9 deer in the peanuts. Walked to the SE field...nothing. (Chaps, thank you for mowing down the weeds...as Sawman would say, much mo' betta.) Walking past the SW field back to my truck, out of the blue there are now hogs! Draw a line from SE corner to the NW corner of the SW field, and the hogs were about 75 yd from the SE corner on that line.

Long stalk. Had to walk further west before turning into the field. By the time I was getting to how close I wanted, the group had split into 2 groups about 20-25 or so yards apart. Including little ones, 21 total. I wanted a sow. Going back and forth between the 2 groups was the largest hog. From the belly profile I figured a boar, but why were the 2 groups allowing an adult boar to get right in the middle of each group? Also the "boar" would root and then stand still and look around in different directions, whereas the other hogs did more rooting and hardly any looking around.

OK, so I'm going for a sow in the left group and trying to get closer. All of a sudden the "boar" in the middle of going to the left group stops, snorts, and stares at me (how the heck could it know I was there?). It then starts walking towards me. I am zoned in on that hog, so I don't know what the others were doing in response to the snort. OK, forget a sow, shoot the boar that wants to figure out what I am...maybe it saw the white of my skin below my shorts and above my boots or the glow of the thermal's screen hanging around my neck. Just as I shoot, it raises its head way up (to sniff the air?), and the bullet goes through the mouth/jaw and into the body instead of hitting it in the head, and it squeals. They run east, it runs east but slower, and I put 3 more into the body, and it drops. Turns out to be a large pregnant sow. Big ears on this one. It also still had peanuts in its mouth. See how worn down and rounded that exposed tooth is. I tried to give an idea of the hog's size by having 4' of tape measure out. Lead sow or maybe an older sow? I had stalked so that the hogs in the left group were in a safe position to shoot. The right group I would not have shot at. The sow conveniently had walked to the left enough and was safe to shoot. The cattle to the south were all way to the right by the farm buildings, so that was good.

FLIR RS32 thermal, 16" 300 Blackout, Nosler 125 gr BT, Ark30 suppressor (often, as I did last night, one can hear the sound of bullets hitting the hog; likewise the sound of a bullet not hitting a hog).

67A89C81-986B-486B-941E-C8A709D14FEC.jpeg

Since I'd taken the effort to get my Mule there to drag her, I decided to drive around the edges of the north fields (this is primarily for Chaps and Sawman).

Rooting: East edge of SW field. West edge of the brush going towards the oaks that goes between NE and SE fields. LOTS of rooting east edge of the brush going towards the oaks that goes between NE and SE field (here a photo gives an idea of part of that rooting).
    38C70C4A-A2CB-43B6-9C65-A71DBCE7E3D2.jpeg

Rooting east edge of the oaks. Rooting east edge of SE field starting a few yards south of the big oak and going ALL THE WAY to the very SE corner of the SE field. That SE rooting was so much and so big that coming back I had to drive in the cotton between rows, as it was just too rough in my Mule. All rooting mentioned was fresh. Dozens of deer in NW field.

So, last night after killing the sow, I did not stop and look at 3F. Got a call from Keith spraying his north peanut field this morning...hogs were there last night in the area of the NE corner. Peanuts have now grown enough for hogs to start rooting them up, as they had already in the SW field last night.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I hand dragged her a couple of feet at a time until I got out of the north south rows of peanuts so as to not mess them up when dragging with the Mule.

Just trying to keep farmers happy with us. Sawman, I have you penciled in for 2100-2200, July 15th. Either SE corner of peanut field north of barn or top of berm or east west road north fields or the shoot house. If the shoot house, give me 2 hours notice to put out corn, peas, expired ham and prunes.

Note that I said you are penciled in...can erase if you want another time and date that is not already taken.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    ;)They are expired....

Chaps

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good report Bruce! Yeah Sawman we need to get out there soon..Bruce gonna kill whole sounder singlehandedly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom