• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've been looking at building an AR-platform PCC and stumbled across some threads about the rimless .357. Use either necked up 5.56 cases or Starline makes a virgin 5.56 case that hasn't been necked down and has a blank head-stamp, all you gotta do is trim to length. Has anyone here ever experimented with such? I've got plenty of stuff for reloading .357 (dies, projectiles of various types, even some of those illusive primers) and was wondering if anyone here has experience and if so, what that experience was? With the .357 rimless, it's the same load data for .357 magnum, only difference is the case. Granted, the brass might vary some charges based on case capacity, but should be pretty close.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe you could start with a .350 legend and cut it down to the length that you want.
    The big thing would be magazines for the shorter round
    1610168768512.png

Obsolete .35 caliber Winchester cartridges
    1610168922342.png

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a maximum barrel from mad dog weapons and 500 starline cases that I am tempted to sell. I have so much going on i feel like i will never get around to messing with it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That would seem to be 'bout the same as .30 cal carbine. Or a Mech Tech upper on a Glock 357Sig lower.
    But . . . a project is a project. Go for it.
    INTERESTING !! --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That would seem to be 'bout the same as .30 cal carbine. Or a Mech Tech upper on a Glock 357Sig lower.
    But . . . a project is a project. Go for it.
    INTERESTING !! --- SAWMAN
    The 30 us car was the original personal defense cartridge and very good one, but yet other than the US carbine models, only a few other firearms were chambered for it. dimension wise too big and also powerful for typical auto loading pistols and still requires some sort of locked breach, if only delayed blow back in a shoulder arm.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And the 30 carbine guns would have been looked at more favorably by the guys that carried then If a better bullet was loaded in them. I have shot the 110gr ball stuff through telephone poles,but it is hard to find the point of exit.
    With the RIGHT bullet,the little carbines are a great hog gun in thick cover. GREAT !! --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And the 30 carbine guns would have been looked at more favorably by the guys that carried then If a better bullet was loaded in them. I have shot the 110gr ball stuff through telephone poles,but it is hard to find the point of exit.
    With the RIGHT bullet,the little carbines are a great hog gun in thick cover. GREAT !! --- SAWMAN
    Prior to the 90's the M1 carbine was used by deer hunters that used dogs. the ammo was commercial soft point.
    Relative to just making a small hole, that is good enough for the ordnance people. Regardless of the stories, from what I understand the FMJ projectile is a better killer than many believe. Penetration is very important in combat if someone is behind cover, you fire into that cover do not care if the hit is a humane sporting shot. Audie Murphy did ok with one and with just about any other military weapon he encountered in the battle field.
    I recently read that the US Army had recovered his favorite rifle, which was an M1 carbine. The M1 carbine was shorter and much lighter than the infantry's standard issue M1 Garand. The carbine was usually carried by troops who had limited space available (e.g. tankers) or who had to carry other things (e.g. radiomen, paratroopers). For example, my father was a radioman and he carried an M1 carbine. In Murphy's case, he carried many different weapons, but appeared to prefer the M1 carbine. The story of its recovery is a testament to the power of modern database technology. The key to recovering the rifle was an interview with Murphy that provided a key piece of information – the serial number of the rifle.
    https://www.mathscinotes.com/2017/12/audie-murphys-rifle-and-the-power-of-databases/

1610197822547.png

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I don't know that I'll ever get around to building it. I've built several ARs in the past but always struggled with getting the gas right when doing a pure virgin build, so will probably go with a complete upper if I can find one. There are a few out there. Thinking the .357 rimless AR which is a .357 Magnum that uses a .223 case trimmed down. Starline offers their .223 Basic Brass
    which makes that a lot easier. And from what I've found, it will work in standard p-mags but does better in those for .300 blackout unless you file off the little tabs at the top of the magazine. Granted, I have zero experience in this chambering or any other outside of .223/5.56 in building an AR, so take the feeding out of standard magazines with a grain of salt. Not everything you read on the internet is very accurate. I've always liked the .357 magnum as a defensive round and the idea of it going through a 16 inch barrel makes me smile. I'm sure there are better options out there, including the .357 Maximum. I just want to make sure I get something that is compatible with my reloading equipment and components without having to get more. The .357 rimless magnum runs the same OAL as the .357 magnum, only difference in reloading is the shell-holder, so if I'm setting up to reload, I don't have to adjust my dies or get a new set just for that cartridge.

Jeniva

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been looking at building an AR-platform PCC and stumbled across some threads about the rimless .357. Use either necked up 5.56 cases or Starline makes a virgin 5.56 case that hasn't been necked down and has a blank head-stamp, all you gotta do is trim to length. Has anyone here ever experimented with such? I've got plenty of stuff for reloading .357 (dies, projectiles of various types, even some of those illusive primers) and was wondering if anyone here has experience and if so, what that experience was? With the .357 rimless, it's the same load data for .357 magnum, only difference is the case. Granted, the brass might vary some charges based on case capacity, but should be pretty close.
    Is .367 is the largest mm that you can put in an AR?

Top Bottom