• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ended up with a ruger ranch rifle in 350 legend and want to shoot subsonic pistol bullets in it. Does any one have a load or two that they would share ? I’m open to anything that has worked for you personally.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Can't help you with actual experience's , on the Hodgdon loading site it "looks" like the bore would lends itseld to 9MM [.355 - .356] Dia. bullets and not .357 .358 bullets. Depending on the Wt. bullet you want to shoot, i would suggest you see if their is any data for using Trail Boss, and try the Cast Boolits forum.

Reactions: FLT

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Just double checked my notes, and I can't immediately find data on when I shot 3 copper plated hollow base wadcutters with Bullseye powder what powder charge I used. The goal was subsonic, light load. It was just 3 shots to get at or below 1000fps. If it were me, I'd try a shot with 5gr Bullseye to start and chronograph it and then go +/- until velocity is met and then shoot for groups. Maybe if I feel energetic tomorrow, I'll try again. I do remember I abondoned the goal, as I quickly went to pistol bullets at 2000+ fps for plinking and blowing cans to pieces when my order of 158 and 180gr jacketed bullets arrived. Maybe the velocities were erratic with that relatively large case capacity for a light load pistol bullet.

Reactions: FLT

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I appreciate your efforts to help, Thanks

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Are there any "dedicated" rifle bullets made yet . . as in 300BLK ??
    Are the few factory loads that exist .355" or .357/.358" ??
    Been tempted to buy a complete upper but still a little apprehensive. --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    None that I’ve found, I intend to shoot hornady XTP 180 grain hollow points they are .357. Lots of experts on the internet think the rifle will disintegrate if you use a bullet that’s bigger than .355 , you and I know that’s bullshit. I want a bullet that expands at subsonic velocity thats relatively inexpensive. That’s my main reason for getting a 350 legend. I’m pretty well satisfied with the 300BLK except for cost of heavy expanding bullets . The Lehighs that I like are more than a dollar a piece and I can get a hundred of the hornady XTPs for around twenty bucks.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It has been my expierance the the Hornady line of XTP bullets hold together at the absolute FASTEST vels that you can drive them. Even at some of the speeds produced by some of the strongest action longer bbls of the carbines.
    I do not have any first hand expierance with the bullet that you mentioned in your above. But I do with the .429",.452",and the .500".
    The Hornady XTP line is a great tuff bullet. However I am not sure that they would perform adaquately on game animals at subsonic vels.
    What does Hornady say. ?? --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I read some where that they would expand all the way down to 750 FPS , but I can not find it now . The following is from hornady .

508B2790-8BC3-4CDB-ADC4-7551E39C77CD.png
    ADFF5DEE-4031-4827-91B2-E0AD0A86DA0D.png
    458B95E2-7B3E-44C9-A16B-3853DEEE6FBA.png

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Kinda strange right there. Winchester sez their 350Legend bullets ARE .355".
    SO I guess it is like Bruce sez . . . you just gotta expierament and figure out which diameter bullet your gun likes.
    For marketing reasons the people that came up with the chambering did not want to have it associated with anything pistol. But yet,it went in that direction anyway. It stalled out somewhere between somewhat above pistol vels using pistol vel bullets . . AND . . the 358Win and others that are "REAL" rifles.
    And the marketing "gurus" had to push it forward in th AR actions also. So here we are with a "in between" gun. With a "kinda" pistol chambering. One that shoots a 9mm or 38Spec,or 357Mag bullet. Ones that are short and fat with a B.C. of doodelie squat but yet is advertised to shoot flatter and hit harder than WHAT . . . surely NOT the 30-30Win bullets in single shots.
    My guess is that this chambering,in a AR action at least,will never come up to it's marketing hype. And reloading for a streight walled case in a AR has always been a little bit hit and miss. Ones that used the brass OAL as a headspace guage. Then throw the bullet length,profile,and method of crimp into the equasion. Then the fact that in some cases it will have to be stripped from a mag and violently slammed into a AR chamber. AND - -> subs working a AR is another minor detail to overcome.
    Good luck with all that. But in a bolt gun . . ?? . . yeah,that just might be doable. Especially at sub or just above sub vels. Fun gun ?? Do what is needed gun ?? Maybe. . . ?? --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can’t argue with any of that. My primary use , maybe my only use will be subsonic pistol bullets that expand. I’ve got several 300BLKs , a ruger ranch , a CZ 527 , a Remington 700sps , a Colt 6920 with a 16 inch FN barrel in it and a 12 inch pistol with a FN barrel . The CZ and the ruger ranch have never had a super sonic round fired in them. If hornady would sell the 190 grain subsonic expanding bullet that they load in their factor ammunition as a component, I wouldn’t be playing around with the 350 legend. On the plus side the ruger ranch has a standard 556 bolt face and uses AR magazines . They are pretty easy to screw a different barrel into, so there a lots of possibilities if the legend doesn’t work out like I think it will. Thanks for your input , I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Saw these rounds at Wally World on Blue Angel yesterday. Didn't investigate it, but they had a couple options
    Are there any "dedicated" rifle bullets made yet . . as in 300BLK ??
    Are the few factory loads that exist .355" or .357/.358" ??
    Been tempted to buy a complete upper but still a little apprehensive. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom