• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, like I need another gun as my wife says, I got 2 big safes full. Well I bought a Aero .308 stripped lower and assembled it with all Aero parts. Now I'm looking at uppers. I want something good at about 300 - 400 yards. What is everyone thoughts on Bear Creek? I been looking at assembling a Aero upper but based on the reviews for BCA upper in 20'' at half the cost, I been looking hard at them. Any input is appreciated.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions, but for the money I like PSA. I got this PSA as separate complete upper and lower in 2019 and just got around to firing it this week. First time out I was getting groups of just over 1" at 100 yards using my handloads that were worked up for another rifle. Mine is Gen 2, but now there is a Gen3 (I don't know what the differences are). I've owned some BCA products but not in the .308 platform.
    PA-10.jpg

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions, but for the money I like PSA. I got this PSA as separate complete upper and lower in 2019 and just got around to firing it this week. First time out I was getting groups of just over 1" at 100 yards using my handloads that were worked up for another rifle. Mine is Gen 2, but now there is a Gen3 (I don't know what the differences are). I've owned some BCA products but not in the .308 platform.
    View attachment 184739
    I like PSA, own many products from them but I have a M5 Aero lower and read that sometimes you have to shave their upper to close the gap and make the fit. BCA reviews say they were a perfect fit.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    That's certainly a big consideration. I have read that there can be some compatibility issues with the various AR10 platforms but I forgot to mention it in my post. My only negative experience with BCA was trying to get a .50 Beowulf to function properly.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When it comes to the big frame AR’s it’s a good idea to stick with one manufacturer as mush as possible.

Parts are relatively cheap now as compared to other times.

A rifle will last a lifetime and in the end, is a few hundred dollars really significant? I think not.

A Ballistic Advantage 16” barrel will certainly accommodate your needs. I have four 16” M5 builds, two with the bead-blasted SS barrel and two with the nitride govt. profile barrel.

SLR rail and SLR adjustable gas block and you shouldn’t have any function issues at all.

You will have a really nice large frame AR capable of 700-800 yards easily. Fairly compact considering, and not too heavy.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When it comes to the big frame AR’s it’s a good idea to stick with one manufacturer as mush as possible.

Parts are relatively cheap now as compared to other times.

A rifle will last a lifetime and in the end, is a few hundred dollars really significant? I think not.

A Ballistic Advantage 16” barrel will certainly accommodate your needs. I have four 16” M5 builds, two with the bead-blasted SS barrel and two with the nitride govt. profile barrel.

SLR rail and SLR adjustable gas block and you shouldn’t have any function issues at all.

You will have a really nice large frame AR capable of 700-800 yards easily. Fairly compact considering, and not too heavy.
    Thanks for the advice! I thought about weight as well. I'm not set on a 20'' barrel, just had better luck in the past reaching out there with that extra 4'', at least that what she says lol. Like you said, money is not that big of a factor but when I read these reviews on this BCA upper, it' hard not to give it a second look. https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/30...twist-rifle-15-split-rail-rc-nrail-upper.html and it's more than half of the Aero upper in similar specs. In the reviews everyone who has a Aero M5 says it is a nice snug fit. Anyone got one of the right side charging handles? I got one I built in 45 ACP and really like it, just not sure in a big caliber like this.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm sure you are aware of this, but not all AR 10's are created equal like their smaller brothers. Just make sure that the upper you buy is compatible with your lower.
    Unfortunately, all AR 10 Bbl's are made with the "monkey see monkey do" 1-10 mentality but that's another story.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I'm sure you are aware of this, but not all AR 10's are created equal like their smaller brothers. Just make sure that the upper you buy is compatible with your lower.
    Unfortunately, all AR 10 Bbl's are made with the "monkey see monkey do" 1-10 mentality but that's another story.
    years ago I did an 80% lower in 308...didnt realize it wasn't all "Milspec" and was having nothing but issues. Ended up giving up on that one and got a Patriot Ordinance Factory 308 and haven't looked back.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    BCA is great on a budget. They also guarantee sum moa in anything 16"+.
    Expect to finish out at 12lbs+ with a decent scope in a 20"BBL. Their fluted stainless BBLs are easy on the eyes and have been very accurate for me in their price group. 6" groups @ 800 yds with hand loads from a few of my knowledgeable customers.
    Gas systems have had to be tuned on just about all to function properly. 27 sold this year & all needed to be tuned. YMMV, but I doubt it.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, I decided to go with the Aero upper. I went stainless fluted in 18''. This is the one I bought;

https://www.wingtactical.com/firear...stainless-steel-m5e1-complete-upper-assembly/
    I added The Nickel Boron BCG;

https://www.wingtactical.com/firear...ns-nib-x-nickel-boron-308-bolt-carrier-group/

I got so much money tied up in that Bergara scope I decided to give this a try with the Amazon reward points I got built up.

Amazon product ASIN B09BK5Y8JS
    I've heard good things about Primary Arms optics. My build is now bought, just waiting on all the parts.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yep, I decided to go with the Aero upper. I went stainless fluted in 18''. This is the one I bought;

https://www.wingtactical.com/firear...stainless-steel-m5e1-complete-upper-assembly/
    I added The Nickel Boron BCG;

https://www.wingtactical.com/firear...ns-nib-x-nickel-boron-308-bolt-carrier-group/

I got so much money tied up in that Bergara scope I decided to give this a try with the Amazon reward points I got built up.

Amazon product ASIN B09BK5Y8JS
    I've heard good things about Primary Arms optics. My build is now bought, just waiting on all the parts.
    Pa makes great stuff. I like the reticles they offer. They make adjusting on the fly really easy

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

I could shave another pound off of that real quick :) give it the old school chopper treatment and just start taking parts off, like that muzzle brake, the ejection port cover, skeletonize that pistol grip and mag well, any part of that handguard that extends past the gas block, etc. Get that down to 5.5 pound 308 AR10

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, the build is complete. Back problems set me back. I got about $1,700 in it as it sits. Well, not that much because I cash rewards points in on Amazon for the scope, Bipod, strap, and torrent. By the way, I love the torrent VS led sled. So much lighter and easy to use.

Attachments

• 20221001_090138.jpg
      20221001_090138.jpg
      509.4 KB · Views: 56
    • 20221001_090151.jpg
      20221001_090151.jpg
      378.3 KB · Views: 51
    Top Bottom