• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Master
    I've been contemplating the 6.8 and just stumbled across this 'deal' and I'm intrigued. I like this setup a lot, the 300 seems like it has longer range capabilities than the 6.8. Can one of the experts please give me the pros and cons of the 300AAC compared to 6.8? Thanks-Clayjunky

Olympic Arms K16SST 300BO 16 inch Stainless Quad Rail- $742

http://grabagun.com/olympic-arms-inc-arms-k16sst-300bo-16-ss-qd-rl.html

MrFish

Expert
    I'm interested in this too. I know that you can't hunt with .300 BO suppressed, so that does take away some of the appeal of that round. It's designed to be suppressed and that is the way I would want it. You would probably spend more to get a .30 cal suppressor than you would on the build. Just my thinking and why I might be leaning towards 6.8.

Clay

Master
    I didn't know that, thanks for the help. I'm a purist, want the hogs to hear the bang .....Thanks for the info.

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Might I also add that this is the proverbial Glock vs XD debate. There is one on evry forum...literally..

Mullet Hunter

Master
    I have a 300blk and really like it, as far as performance I have no clue. My next build I might try the 6.8, but who knows...

Clay

Master
    You should look at a 7.62X39 upper, should work fine here:second::wave::yo::lol::focus:

I have a scoped SKS and tons of SP ammo if I want to shoot that caliber, may just end up using it for hogs yet... Thx for the advice

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Have you looked into .50 beowolf,or if you want a more versitle round being offered in an array of loads look into .458 socom. Both are excellent choices for a hog gun.Honestly I would probably still go with the 6.8 for cost purposes,your reach to game is further,and will give anything around here a dirt nap.Also nice to not have to order ammo.

Clay

Master
    Have you looked into .50 beowolf,or if you want a more versitle round being offered in an array of loads look into .458 socom. Both are excellent choices for a hog gun.Honestly I would probably still go with the 6.8 for cost purposes,your reach to game is further,and will give anything around here a dirt nap.Also nice to not have to order ammo.

Hey Matt-Thanks for the input, this missed my eye-sorry for the late response. I'm more of the budget-minded road, cheaper ammo, cheaper parts, ease of accessibility,the 3 kids to feed road. I've handled a Beowolf before, never shot it, just a little overkill and pricey for me, unless elephants attack in the zombie apocalypse, then I'm screwed.... Ya got a 6.8 for sale by chance?

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Unfortunately no,only my personal one,would be more than glad to help with a build though,got all the lower stuff here just have to work out the upper situation wich should be no problem.I personally build like you stated above when for myself,I get a gun together cheap,then upgrade as necc.from there.I always use a new BCG with every build though,that is going to be the heart of your build as far as price and preformance.This is esp. true with the less common rounds like 6.8.BCG's are hard to come by at a decent price or any price for that matter. That is assuming you dont want a 350.00 nickle boron or use a mix matched bcg,meaning a used 5.56 carrier with a new 6.8 bolt.I would go neither of those routs. The BCG should ware together,you ask for problems when you start swapping parts..I would never spend 350.00 on one either,esp. for a hunting rifle you probably will shoot under 50 times a year when hunting. Get a new one just under 200.00 new and it will last a lifetime for hunting purposes. I always start 6.8 buids there,all other parts are a breeze once this is accomplished...The key is to shop around daily,pick up extras of everything but the bcg when you find deals because you will fall in love with the platform and end up building another for sure,if you need help I am just a pm away!I can def.shoot you in the dirrection of great deals..

SAWMAN

Master
    Coming in kinda late on this one but.....puhleeeeeeze don't let anyone talk you into a 300BO over a 6.8SPC II. As I tell people,I would never own a 6.8 in anything but the AR platform. I would never own the 300BO in anything but a single shot T/C. There are quite a few reasons why but versatility is foremost.

While we are at this "junction" .....ever looked into a 7.62X39 in the AR platform. Not recommending it over a 6.8 but would surely have one over a 300BO. There are several "problems" that come to mind with the 7.62X39 also. Let me know if you starting getting serious about this chambering in any platform except a dirt clod busting gun(AK,SKS). --- SAWMAN

Clay

Master
    Saw- I'm sorta kicking myself for not buying Frank's Ruger Mini 30! I just saw one for $680 @ Kentucky Gun Co and was thinking, why not? I have an SKS, but in an AR or other platform would be great. Ammo is much less $$ and that's appealing. So talking to me, what would you do in this caliber? Thanks Buddy!

SAWMAN

Master
    How much would you give for a Mini-30 like Franks with tons of ammo and tons of mags and Accu Strut installed and sighted in. WITH a Leupold 2-7X33 set in Ruger low rings ??

Awhile back I was looking at the Olympic Arms site and they had a AR chambered in 7.62X39 with a heavy 16" bbl threaded for a brake,flash hider,or can(I suppose). Didn't seem to be much money. How they shoot,I have no idea. BUT....I'd really like to find out. The 7.62X39 is 'bout the same as a 6.8SPF out to 250-300yds or so. Tons cheaper to shoot also unless you use some of the CorBon,Double Tap,etc,etc,stuff at almost $2.00 per shot.(YIKES !!)

I have friends with bolt guns chambered in 7.62X39. They are super accurate. I'm talkin' 1/2MOA out at 200yds.....I know,I've shot 'em. --- SAWMAN

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    I'm interested in this too. I know that you can't hunt with .300 BO suppressed, so that does take away some of the appeal of that round. It's designed to be suppressed and that is the way I would want it. You would probably spend more to get a .30 cal suppressor than you would on the build. Just my thinking and why I might be leaning towards 6.8.

the beauty of the 300BO is the option of going suppressed subsonic or the option to go supersonic with the power of an AK or 30.30 and a flatter trajectory past 200 Yards is a big plus for me. I am also impressed that it achieves this with only a 9" barrel if desired so the utility of the options was very appealing to me.
    I have a 16" rifle in 300BO and a Pistol with an 8 .3 " barrel and the both shot MOA.
    If you are not going to suppress then by all means go with the 6.8 because it does have better performance .
    If I need more power than the 300BO supersonic rounds then I just grab my LR308AP4
    just got my pistol dialed in at 100 yards with the 220 gr sierra match king hpbt subsonic ammo.
    it can deliver a serious thumping without making hardly a sound
    this is a buck [ not in florida] shot with Remington subsonic 220 grn ammo

300blkdeer1.jpg
    300blkdeer7.jpg
    300 Blackout Pistol.jpg

Attachments

• 300blkdeer1.jpg
      300blkdeer1.jpg
      185.3 KB · Views: 146
    • 300blkdeer7.jpg
      300blkdeer7.jpg
      110.3 KB · Views: 154
    • 300 Blackout Pistol.jpg
      300 Blackout Pistol.jpg
      299.2 KB · Views: 145

SAWMAN

Master
    Mike's has a 6.8 Mini on the shelf. $869 IIRC (OUCH !!) Then... you would most certinly have to get the chamber reamed to SPC II demensions. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom