• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One thing nice about the 300 blackout is that for reloading is if you have brass it will take all sorts of 30 cal projectiles. A 110 grain carbine hollow point would be nice in such a caliber with a full load. Might even work with .32 ACP 71 grain .312 diameter bullets.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    One thing nice about the 300 blackout is that for reloading is if you have brass it will take all sorts of 30 cal projectiles. A 110 grain carbine hollow point would be nice in such a caliber with a full load. Might even work with .32 ACP 71 grain .312 diameter bullets.

I'm gonna be sending a bunch of 150gn FMJBT down the 10.5" tube and see what kinda numbers I can come up with. I'm gonna have a ton of these projectiles and figured they'd work great in my 30-06, 300bo, and 30-30 so long as I shoot them 2 at a time in it with it's tube mag.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm gonna be sending a bunch of 150gn FMJBT down the 10.5" tube and see what kinda numbers I can come up with. I'm gonna have a ton of these projectiles and figured they'd work great in my 30-06, 300bo, and 30-30 so long as I shoot them 2 at a time in it with it's tube mag.

For the 30-30, I wonder if you could cut the tip off making it a flat point. The only danger might be blowing the lead core out leaving the jacket stuck in the bore.
    Ever consider in the 30-30 loading the bullets backwards. Have to see if they would feed and chamber.

Last edited:

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    For the 30-30, I wonder if you could cut the tip off making it a flat point. The only danger might be blowing the lead core out leaving the jacket stuck in the bore.
    Ever consider in the 30-30 loading the bullets backwards. Have to see if they would feed and chamber.

I'd think they would keyhole if I loaded them backwards. I'll probably just keep these for the 300bo and 30-06 and find me some SP FN. Hell, 500 projectiles would probably last me a lifetime for the 30-30. I just want the option to reload for it in SHTF situations. It's a great bush gun for stalking through our thick ass wooded areas.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd think they would keyhole if I loaded them backwards. I'll probably just keep these for the 300bo and 30-06 and find me some SP FN. Hell, 500 projectiles would probably last me a lifetime for the 30-30. I just want the option to reload for it in SHTF situations. It's a great bush gun for stalking through our thick ass wooded areas.

Pressure could be a concern. Keyholing, I have not done it, just so you know it is an old african hunter trick to reverse round nose soft point bullets for the lower pressure old tyme big game cartridges when one runs out of solids and there was no way to obtain other ammunition. (This was in a book. 'Hunter' 1952 by J A Hunter. )
    Fact is bullets with little wt in the front is not so stable. A concern is the pressure because the powder capacity is reduced. When I get some time I may try it out. With round nose I know it is ok, with a pointed bullet I am not sure.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Powder Valley has W W 150 FN/RN [30-30] about 26.00(+-)/100. Also put in a request on Cast Boolits for sellers of FN bullets.
    http://https://oregontrailbullets.com/xcart/laser-cast

Thanks Wayne. I'm kinda iffy about loading cast bullets into anything. I'm too inexperienced. I'll stick to jacketed or plated for now. I fear I might load one too slow and lead my barrels. I don't own a chronograph just yet so I'm relying on accuracy instead of speed to determine my loads.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Wayne. I'm kinda iffy about loading cast bullets into anything. I'm too inexperienced. I'll stick to jacketed or plated for now. I fear I might load one too slow and lead my barrels. I don't own a chronograph just yet so I'm relying on accuracy instead of speed to determine my loads.

Until I know more I am going to hold back for the AR15 on loading plated and cast bullets. I am concerned about the gas port and gas tube getting clog. It may not be a concern, but I until I know more I will not do it. Especially in pistol length gas ports/tubes.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And I would be more concerned about the lube than the lead.
    NOT for any of my gas operated guns. Tempted to try hardcast out of my Desert Eagle but never did. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And I would be more concerned about the lube than the lead.
    NOT for any of my gas operated guns. Tempted to try hardcast out of my Desert Eagle but never did. --- SAWMAN

For a garand I would not worry about it. Everything is quite easy to access and a G3 type of gun has no gas port to worry about.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    FrommerStop, I suggest you join the Cast Boolits.com forum and do a search regarding cast in 223 AR and a 308 AR as well.Then you can ask questions of people that shoot cast in all forms of weapons, and there aren't nearly as many EX Perts** as there are on most forums. Lube didn't seam to be a problem then they started powder coating their 60 to 75 gn .225 bullets and started thumping their chests about getting 2800+ fps. At that point I chimed in and asked if they could hit anything smaller that a Gal. milk jug. at 25 FT.?? They ignored that, I guess they were happy letting gravity help them hit the ground.
    I used to run 50 or so of my cast with lube through my M1A with no problems, just normal powder on the gas system.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FrommerStop, I suggest you join the Cast Boolits.com forum and do a search regarding cast in 223 AR and a 308 AR as well.Then you can ask questions of people that shoot cast in all forms of weapons, and there aren't nearly as many EX Perts** as there are on most forums. Lube didn't seam to be a problem then they started powder coating their 60 to 75 gn .225 bullets and started thumping their chests about getting 2800+ fps. At that point I chimed in and asked if they could hit anything smaller that a Gal. milk jug. at 25 FT.?? They ignored that, I guess they were happy letting gravity help them hit the ground.
    I used to run 50 or so of my cast with lube through my M1A with no problems, just normal powder on the gas system.

I am a member there and when i get am ready to do some casting I will log in go first through the stickies. i also need to go to other forums that are dedicated to the AR in 300 blackout for plated, coated, and bare cast bullets.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I am a member there and when i get am ready to do some casting I will log in go first through the stickies. i also need to go to other forums that are dedicated to the AR in 300 blackout for plated, coated, and bare cast bullets.

Yes please do some research on the 300bo pistol length so I can pick your brain and not have to do all the reading. HaHa Got an order in on some 150gn 30-06 pulls that I couldn't pass up so I'm gonna be sending a ton of it through my 10.5" barrel and see what happens.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes please do some research on the 300bo pistol length so I can pick your brain and not have to do all the reading. HaHa Got an order in on some 150gn 30-06 pulls that I couldn't pass up so I'm gonna be sending a ton of it through my 10.5" barrel and see what happens.

So happens I have a 10.5 upper in the 300 Blkout chambering also. Right now I am setting up another also with a shorter barrel and so my future does have reloading in it. MY direction in loading will be a little different than most.

While I will not be using a supressor, I do want effective loads that do not have extreme blast. I have a similar upper in 7.62x39 that is blast relative to the report out of a 7.5 inch barrel. The 300 black out uses less power and maybe I find some combination that is not so noisy. It may also just be a pipe dream. So much to learn.

Last edited:

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So happens I have a 10.5 upper in the 300 Blkout chambering also. Right now I am setting up another also with a shorter barrel and so my future does have reloading in it. MY direction in loading will be a little different than most.

While I will not be using a supressor, I do want effective loads that do not have extreme blast. I have a similar upper in 7.62x39 that is blast relative to the report out of a 7.5 inch barrel. The 300 black out uses less power and maybe I find some combination that is not so noisy. It may also just be a pipe dream. So much to learn.

I'll give ya some 150gn projectiles if you wanna play with them and report back. LMK and I'll drop them off to ya.

Top Bottom