• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I am finally about to be ready for some first time reloading for my 300 blackout and wanted to make sure I have it all right and ready to go. I have everything needed except the primers and powder. I just received my press kit and everything need to load a bullet. I have the brass cleaned and prepared and now need my last two components. I can’t wait to get those first loads put together I just thought I would make a post and see what exactly which primers and powders everyone likes for there loads. Also has anyone found that one (powder,primer,bullet) combo that has been a game changer out of there gun? I would love to get a big debate going as to who thinks they have found the best 300 blackout bullet combo. Also should you buy your 300 blackout brass all ready to go or start out with .223 brass and make your own? If anyone has done this please let me know because I have been debating whether or not to go this route. Thanks ahead of time for everyone who joins in this hopefully fun and informative discussion.

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have 2 5gallon buckets full of 223 brass so I cut and make my own 300bo brass. As far as best bullet/powder. I’ve had good luck with 110gr Barnes over H110. 147/150 over cfe black. And 208 over H110. Obviously all for different uses. I also had great accuracy with 125sst and H110, but they weren’t worth a damn on game (probably to slow out of my 8.5” sbr to expand) that’s why I switched to the 110 Barnes

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    I use 14.5 grains of lil gun pushing a 165 gr hornady interlock for hunting. my son and i have taken many deer and pigs with that and they haven't went more than a few feet if any. I may be wrong on the load data so don't use it unless I go look at my log book which i will if someone wants.
    I use around 9 grains of imr 4227 pushing a 200 gr lead cast bullet that I powder coat for plinking. At around .05 cents a round you can't go wrong with that. Same warning about data applies as above
    300 b/o is by far one of my favorite calibers. I just wish ammo was easier to find

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have the NEF Handi Rifle AAC edition (limited run) that will do darn near as good with a few mods.
    If shooters and hunters can deal with the lower vels of a .308" projectile the 300BLK is a fun gun and within range (about 275yds) a great hunter. ---- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 20160512_103251.jpg
      20160512_103251.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 115
    • IMG_20130824_092430_353.jpg
      IMG_20130824_092430_353.jpg
      633.8 KB · Views: 114
    • IMG_20130824_073154_444.jpg
      IMG_20130824_073154_444.jpg
      572 KB · Views: 120

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Loads can be divided between subsonic and supersonic and what ever else you decide to load. It can depend on your barrel length, gas port size and I am sure other things that I know nothing about.
    Me. I have 110 barnes copper and similar lead bullets for normal super sonic loads.

I also have some 190 grainers meant for subsonic loads, but I will load them to say 1200-1300 fps is possible. I do not have a silencer. My intended is try and reduce muzzle blast with such loads. It could end up gong subsonic with them.

Today and yesterday I have been cleaning and arranging some order so I can eventually start reloading. I have some purchased some 300 bo cases and a full 5 gallon bullet of 5.56. I have more cases than powder and primers in that five gallon bucket. I have also purchased what is needed to cut down those cases.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    For "normal" use, I use H110 for supersonic and AA1680 for 220gr subsonic (in AR type guns). WW296 is said to be the same as H110, but I found that 296 gave a bit more velocity and a decrease in accuracy over H110 using the same charge weights, so I use H110. The decrease in accuracy was unacceptable to me. I suppose one could work up 296 loads for accuracy.

I use Wolf/TULA KVB223M primers in AR type guns and CCI 400 in single shot and bolt action guns. I use the KVB223M primers cause I have about 30,000 of them left. They are a hard primer for AR type guns and are no longer imported. They will cause failures to fire in bolt action and single shot guns, so I use CCI 400's for them. If I didn't have lots of KVB223M's, I'd use CCI 400's for all my Blackouts. I tried BR4 bench rest primers, but 400's gave better accuracy for me.

For hunting deer, hogs, and coyotes, I found the Barnes 110gr black tips to be the best in accuracy, penetration and damage. Expensive, I suppose, but I bought lots of them on sale and as "pulls". I found no difference between pulled ones and in the box bought ones. I use the Barnes load of 20.0gr H110, 2.25" oal, CCI 400, and a mild crimp (CCI 400 so I can use them in my bolt action rifles which love them also). I have one bbl that prefers 20.1gr H110 instead with KVB223M's, so I have 2 batches of them loaded up (appropriately labeled boxes so I don't mix them up). Other than the Barnes (Barnes recommends a crimp for them), I do not crimp my Blackout loads...never found a need to crimp them.

2nd best hunting bullet for me is the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip. They don't expand as well on coyotes, do great on deer, and penetrate about 2" less on boar hogs over 150 lb than the 110 gr Barnes. I bought plenty of them cheap as seconds from Nosler. I am sure there are other fine Blackout hunting bullets...just never did try them...just stuck with what worked for me.

I don't shoot much subsonic through AR's, but when I do, I use Sierra 220gr Match Kings. Bought thousands of them as pulls. Mainly I use them killing trapped hogs by shooting them in the brain or if I want to demo subsonic suppressed to anyone.

I used to make my own brass, and still keep split neck .223 cases in case I want to do more, but a few years ago I found I could buy already formed Blackout brass from a variety of small businesses making them from .223 for not much, saving me the effort. Haven't bought formed Blackout brass in years now.

For years I've kept bore wear records on a variety of Blackout bbls to see what type of steel and bore treatment lasted longer. So, I did/do a lot of plinking with the Blackout. For that I've been shooting pulled 115 and 125 gr hollow points, pulled M80 147 gr ball bullets, and 124 gr pulled 7.62x39 fmj bullets, all bought cheaply. Yes, the 7.62x39 are a little bigger in diameter, but I've found no increased bore wear or functioning problems.

In my first paragraph I used the word "normal". Let's visit the realm of outside normal. I and friends have bought about 50-60 thousand pulled M160 108 gr frangible bullets, left over from WWII. They are made of compressed lead dust and bakelite plastic, designed for training to break apart on hitting metal. Very easy on the bore, about like cast bullets would be. Some Blackouts love them and some don't. I shoot lots of them with small charges of Bullseye (one friend uses AA#2) at subsonic velocities (they will not function an AR). Others are shot with H110 and do function the AR's (I believe one friend functions his AR with surplus WC820...I've not tried that combo). I shoot them subsonic suppressed on armadillos; if shot in an AR, I use the AR as a manually operated rifle.

And, FWIW, I've killed with the Blackout, 29 deer, 42 hogs, 20 armadillos, and 4 coyotes. I've not kept any records of trapped hogs killed (that was killing and not hunting). I've fired in excess of 20,000 rounds of Blackout.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Daezee thanks for the information. I carefully looked up loads for H-110 and 296. There is significant difference of perhaps 5% or so relative to pressure developed for the same loads. Right off hand I do not remember which was the fastest.
    I appreciate the information of the 220's since I have some of those.

About you having killed so many things with the 300. It is more a testimony of your marksmanship and course your rifles and loads have something to do with that.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I appreciate everyone who has posted here, you have given me a lot of info that will help greatly in setting up my 300 blackout gun and reloading area for hunting season coming up. I can’t wait to actually shoot my own loads for the first time. Also to get my 300 dialed in just right to get on those deer quick and take them clean. Thanks again everyone, it’s great to at least talk about guns since it’s so hard to get out there and shoot them.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I appreciate everyone who has posted here, you have given me a lot of info that will help greatly in setting up my 300 blackout gun and reloading area for hunting season coming up. I can’t wait to actually shoot my own loads for the first time. Also to get my 300 dialed in just right to get on those deer quick and take them clean. Thanks again everyone, it’s great to at least talk about guns since it’s so hard to get out there and shoot them.
    DZ is the GOD when it comes to 300bo. Take his word as gospel. If you don't already have a chronograph, get one. They're about $75ish on amazon for the cheaper ones. I'm making due with one of them since my good one broke. It will tell you a lot about your expected loads from the load info vs what your barrel actually does. Try to pick a day without wind to test as well.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    DZ is the GOD when it comes to 300bo. Take his word as gospel. If you don't already have a chronograph, get one. They're about $75ish on amazon for the cheaper ones. I'm making due with one of them since my good one broke. It will tell you a lot about your expected loads from the load info vs what your barrel actually does. Try to pick a day without wind to test as well.

Thanks, I will add that to my list of needed items for the range and reloading bag.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks, I will add that to my list of needed items for the range and reloading bag.
    Aside from grouping and looking for keyholes, the chrono will tell you how well your loads are performing. You can dial it up for max velocity for hunting loads and dial it back for plinking rounds. It's a crucial piece of equipment when you're making ladder loads and test loads.

Top Bottom