• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'll be around ATL for a while, with access to more guns than we have around Pensacola, so I'd like to get a pistol in my hands and have it shipped to GunDr for transfer.
    I'd like a 3 inch barrel carry pistol that I can throw on OWB for short trips when I don't feel like putting my usual carry rig. It must have a 3 inch barrel, since I can conceal that OWB under a tshirt. My only real caveat is that it must be a 45.
    The obvious choice is an XDS, but I really hate the trigger. I had one a while ago and couldn't stand it, so I sold it for $450. What it did have going for it was reliability and I really liked the sights, they were just like the ones on my XTac.

So, for a good trigger, I look for 1911s, but my usual go-to makers don't make a 3" gun at all, so I have to see it in person since I'm not very familiar with the models from makers who do.
    Here's what I've found so far:

Colt defender LW: Short grip, ugly color, squishy thumb safety. Nice grips, and as a Colt, it'll retain its value.
    Kimber ultras and ultra plus: My kimbers were very reliable, but the finish on them was pathetic. I particularly like the plus versions since I can hold them properly and use my collection of 47D's I'm them. Not too hot on the used market should I decide to sell it.
    Sig Ultra Nitron: well fitted, good looking, short grip, don't like the extractor, sig is new to the 1911 game, and have had some misses, but apparently these have some new amazing kind of spring that makes them reliable. Decent price.
    Springfield Micro: short grip, good looking even with the 2 tone finish, good CS from what I understand.
    Para Expert Carry: Fantastic price, full 47D compatible grip, para no longer does their crappy para-kote finish, seems well fitted. Para seems to be putting out good stuff lately, since they moved and hired Travis.
    At half the price of the springers, and 2/3 of the Sig, this is the way I'm leaning.

Anyone have experience with these or other comparable guns? 3" 1911s are hit or miss in reliability due to the springs and speed of the slide, but I would really like to find a good one and not have to go to the dark side of the plastic fantastic type guns with their staple gun triggers. (Not that there's anything wrong with them, they're just not for me) Any help or opinions, new suggestions or input is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    This is what I'm thinking, as can be seen, the gun rides quite high compared to the belt, easily concealed under a tshirt and I wouldn't have to halfway take my pants off to gear up just to run quick trip. But then again, if the gun can't be trusted, it's kinda pointless.
    pave6azy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom