• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Not counting optic, what would be the optimal build for a .22LR benchrest or NRL22 rifle on a budget? There's a lot of options, but it seems like the CZ457 is the best accuracy out the box outside of maybe a Vudu or Volquartzen. I'd very much like to build a 10/22 Summit rifle, but DAMN they expensive. My son wants to get into the Benchrest .22 competitions, thinks he's a damned sniper with his little Savage, and while it's surprisingly accurate, it's not accurate enough to be competitive.

LeeB

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not counting optic, what would be the optimal build for a .22LR benchrest or NRL22 rifle on a budget? There's a lot of options, but it seems like the CZ457 is the best accuracy out the box outside of maybe a Vudu or Volquartzen. I'd very much like to build a 10/22 Summit rifle, but DAMN they expensive. My son wants to get into the Benchrest .22 competitions, thinks he's a damned sniper with his little Savage, and while it's surprisingly accurate, it's not accurate enough to be competitive.
    A CZ457 with a scope at least 36X would be a great place to start. Could also add a Timney drop in trigger. You will also need front and rear rests. A bag is fine for the rear but either a bipod or mechanical front is best. First thing is to buy high quality ammo. Midas+, Eley, RWS R50 or something in that range. Probably get a setup for $1000 to $1500.

NRL22 will require slightly different equipment.

Beached

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Serious about competing most of the top dogs use Anshutz I have a cz457 that will shoot 1/2 in five shot groups on calm day with wolf match ammo. Off the bench

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    On a budget, the CZ 457 is a very good place to start. You can upgrade the rifle as you go. There are several good options for chassis'. Lilja makes barrels that will definitely up the accuracy level, if needed. Also several aftermarket triggers available if you can't work on the factory trigger.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    He's a teenager, and as much as I hope he sticks with something. Mostly, I just want to get him the basics to be competitive in the monthly benchrest competition at my local gun club. I have an Arken SH4 6-24x50 to put on it already, it's not a Nightforce but it tracks perfectly, is pretty clear, and handled .308 like a champ without losing zero. If he doesn't keep with it, maybe I will start. Not looking to go balls deep into competition or spend enough money to buy a used car, but to be at least somewhat competitive on a local small-scale level.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    This is why the CZ 457 is a good start. You can add to it as you go or leave it like it is..........and have fun while doing it!!!

The Arken scope you have will be a good start.

CZ 457 Varmint
    CZ 457 Pro-Varmint
    CZ 457 At-One
    CZ 457 Varmint MTR

Last edited:

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    This is why the CZ 457 is a good start. You can add to it as you go or leave it like it is..........and have fun while doing it!!!

The Arken scope you have will be a good start.

CZ 457 Varmint
    CZ 457 Pro-Varmint
    CZ 457 At-One
    CZ 457 Varmint MTR
    Yeah, I've got a couple of the Arken scopes, they've been great. The tracking is super precise. There are better out there, but not better for the price. Only complaint I've had with them has been the weight. The 457 is definitely the way I was leaning. Any benefit over a longer barrel? Seems that .22lr doesn't have enough powder to make a 24"barrel increase velocity over an 18"

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    A CZ457 with a scope at least 36X would be a great place to start. Could also add a Timney drop in trigger. You will also need front and rear rests. A bag is fine for the rear but either a bipod or mechanical front is best. First thing is to buy high quality ammo. Midas+, Eley, RWS R50 or something in that range. Probably get a setup for $1000 to $1500.

NRL22 will require slightly different equipment.

I agree with LeeB. I’ll piggy back a little, I think a decent setup would be more towards the $1500 point IMHO. Some of us here have been down this path. I had a CZ 452 years ago and shot great like all CZ’s for the most part after you find what ammo it likes. I can say that I’ve had several Remington 40X HB (CMP purchased Milsurp rifles) and all have shot outstanding. I usually use Jewell triggers for them. Ones I have are 700 pattern so triggers, stocks, scope bases, chassis’s can be used. In addition, Winchester 52’s are super accurate as well. Downside stocks, triggers (Kenyon, Canjar), optics (Lyman Super targetspots, Unertl etc) can be a challenge as you are limited. These 2 options are great, but will cost you for the rifle alone anywhere from $1-1.5K for rifle alone. You can find deals time to time as well if you look.

I just recently jumped into a build that I posted like a month ago (Vudoo three 60, MDT, NF optic). This build was not cheap, but I have had the itch to do a newer rifle with a chassis. I’ve probably shot around 300 rds with a variety of match ammo/lots. Best 10rd group at 50yds was around .2 with center-x; in which most Vudoo rifles are tested with Lapua ammo. I’m still needing to test about a couple dozen more ammo types/lots. So far I’m am happy with it as I knew what I was getting into doing research on Vudoo rifles, but my Winchester 52C w/ Unertl programmer 20X and Remington 40X HB w/ Lyman Super Targetspot 30X can shoot just as well and is way cheaper and not as picky with good ammo

I think the 457 would be a great starting point w/ trigger and variety of good ammo. Might want to look at Bergara’s as well. If your son is a decent shooter he could get away with a good bipod and rear bag. Maybe later if he gets into this fun game a real good mechanical front rest w/ joystick would be great to have (SEB, Farley etc)

If your prior LE/Mil you can get discounts from NF, Vortex, leupold etc ranging from 25-40% off MSRP. Just be sure to get a scope with a lower parallax like 25 or lower. This would help save you some $$$

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Yeah, I've got a couple of the Arken scopes, they've been great. The tracking is super precise. There are better out there, but not better for the price. Only complaint I've had with them has been the weight. The 457 is definitely the way I was leaning. Any benefit over a longer barrel? Seems that .22lr doesn't have enough powder to make a 24"barrel increase velocity over an 18"
    Increase in velocity isn't what you're looking for in a longer barrel. Theory says a longer barrel will slow the bullet some, therefore stabilizing the velocity........giving smaller Extreme Spreads in velocity.

16 to 21 inch barrels will give similar velocities, at about 22 inches velocity will start to slow. This isn't absolute as some barrels are different.

Higher velocity ammo is not what you want for the 22 LR benchrest game.......I would recommend staying below 1100 fps....Standard/Subsonic ammo is a better choice.

Most important thing above gear is come shoot and have fun. The rest will work itself out.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Seems like there was a Christian arms one somewhere on here?
    I'm not in a position to buy right now anyway. Wife and I are just trying to figure out his big christmas gift this year. When my other kids were 17, they both got guns. Son got a 6.5 creedmore hunting rifle, daughter got a .357 revolver for plinking, he's more into target shooting than hunting, and he prefers rifle to pistol.

bluesvet

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not counting optic, what would be the optimal build for a .22LR benchrest or NRL22 rifle on a budget? There's a lot of options, but it seems like the CZ457 is the best accuracy out the box outside of maybe a Vudu or Volquartzen. I'd very much like to build a 10/22 Summit rifle, but DAMN they expensive. My son wants to get into the Benchrest .22 competitions, thinks he's a damned sniper with his little Savage, and while it's surprisingly accurate, it's not accurate enough to be competitive. Jevaughn, I am not a competition shooter or an expert. Most of my shooting is at 100yds. I have a savage fv-sr, a Christensen ranger, and a Volquartsen m-22. The ranger and Volquartsen, I think are overpriced. The lowly savage 22 will most of the time outshoot both of them with a more variety of ammunition. People are almost embarrassed to say they shoot a savage, but based on grouping, and not esthetics, your son will be right in the thick of it. Search to you find the right ammo.

F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Buy once, cry once. I started ARA competition for the fun. Well coming in last all the time ended the fun. I got a CZ Pro, luckily I moved scopes around a put a Leupold Varmint scope one it. As for ammo, I have not got the into top tier Eley or Lapua yet. Getting the good stuff upfront saves you money.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Buy once, cry once. I started ARA competition for the fun. Well coming in last all the time ended the fun. I got a CZ Pro, luckily I moved scopes around a put a Leupold Varmint scope one it. As for ammo, I have not got the into top tier Eley or Lapua yet. Getting the good stuff upfront saves you money.
    yeah, we've decided on a CZ457 Varmint for the rifle, might slap it in a better stock, but that will come later down the road.

Top Bottom