• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DONE DEAL!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't do much distance shooting, but sure do enjoy the 22lr. Just bought a walther G22 the other day. Look forward to shooting it!
    I just bought a Glock 44 w the threaded barrel kit as well. I've also owned a few other 22lr pistols to include 22 conversions for my 1911 an AR. Most call it "plinking" but actually a 22 in the right configuration is on top for survival.
    Lightweight, no sound or flash hmmmm?
    Don't do much distance shooting, but sure do enjoy the 22lr. Just bought a walther G22 the other day. Look forward to shooting it!

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I just bought a Glock 44 w the threaded barrel kit as well. I've also owned a few other 22lr pistols to include 22 conversions for my 1911 an AR. Most call it "plinking" but actually a 22 in the right configuration is on top for survival.
    Lightweight, no sound or flash hmmmm?
    I've heard that a 22lr is a poachers best friend because its quiet. That's "survival" too, of a different sort. Then I saw an unabashed poacher at a yard sale in Holt, selling his rifle: a 22 caliber pellet rifle, scoped, with a Sony Handycam with night vision clamped onto the scope body and wrapped around in line with the scope picture to provide night vision. I was like "damn, that's one expensive backstrap"

DONE DEAL!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    According to the ballistic calculator I use it's 37 inches
    I had a BDC on my CZ with it zeroed .5" high at 100 yds. I only needed to raise it to the next dot to be within 1-2" of target with 32gr at 200.
    At longer distances I selected 36-40gr which I zeroed at 1" high at 100 yds and used my BDC accordingly. I hit the metal gong at 300 yards using the lowest BDC dot set 6" above my target. That was about a 4' drop if looking through the bore.
    Just experimental with no real application but I was able to hit the target with ease w the help of a friend and his range scope. First splash was within 2' with just a guess and high heat mirage issues so it took 8 shots to zero in on a 10" gong at 300. I remember picking up a slug that mushed out pretty good. Surprised me that it retained the energy.
    Bore length and rifling design play the biggest part in bolt action 22lr. Best to get out and shoot because there's no substitute for time behind the trigger and it's fun to piss off the larger caliber guys.

DONE DEAL!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've heard that a 22lr is a poachers best friend because its quiet. That's "survival" too, of a different sort. Then I saw an unabashed poacher at a yard sale in Holt, selling his rifle: a 22 caliber pellet rifle, scoped, with a Sony Handycam with night vision clamped onto the scope body and wrapped around in line with the scope picture to provide night vision. I was like "damn, that's one expensive backstrap"
    I'm sure I could take game when needed and not scare off much if I miss.
    I've met some hog guys that use 22lr but they also carried 357 or bigger side arms

DONE DEAL!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve only stretched my Remington 513T Matchmaster out to the back berm at the ERGC range on clay’s.
    Lotsa fun dropping’em in like a mortar with iron sights!
    View attachment 128156

A bit of a challenge for my eyes and bad habits.

For the berm clays, gotta get 55 clicks up elevation on the Lyman sight from 25yd setting I usually keep it on.

25yds is a fun challenge too with a 69 year old target rifle.

Cover hole with a dime is DAMN good for me.
    View attachment 128157

Carry on .22 shooters!!
    And that's how it's done folks!

mac the knife

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Here is some good information.

.22 Long Rifle

The .22 Long Rifle or simply .22 LR (metric designation: 5.6×15mmR) is a long-established variety of .22 caliber rimfire ammunition originating from the United States. It is used in a wide range of rifles, pistols, revolvers, smoothbore shotguns, and submachine guns.

.22 Long Rifle (.22 LR)
    .22 LR.jpg
    .22 Long Rifle – subsonic hollow point (left), standard velocity (center), hyper-velocity hollow point (right)
    Type
    Rimfire cartridge
    Place of origin
    United States
    Production history
    Designer
    Union Metallic Cartridge Company
    Designed
    Specifications
    Parent case
    .22 Long[1]
    Case type
    Rimmed, straight[1]
    Bullet diameter
    0.223 in (5.7 mm) - 0.2255 in (5.73 mm)[1]
    Land diameter
    0.212 in (5.4 mm)
    Neck diameter
    .226 in (5.7 mm)[1]
    Base diameter
    .226 in (5.7 mm)[1]
    Rim diameter
    .278 in (7.1 mm)[1]
    Rim thickness
    .043 in (1.1 mm)[1]
    Case length
    .613 in (15.6 mm)[1]
    Overall length
    1.000 in (25.4 mm)[1]
    Rifling twist
    1:16"[1]
    Primer type
    Rimfire[1]
    Ballistic performance
    Bullet mass/type Velocity Energy
    40 gr (2.6 g) solid[2] 1,200 ft/s (370 m/s) 131 ft⋅lbf (178 J)
    38 gr (2.5 g) copper-plated HP[2] 1,260 ft/s (380 m/s) 134 ft⋅lbf (182 J)
    32 gr (2.1 g) copper-plated HP[2] 1,430 ft/s (440 m/s) 141 ft⋅lbf (191 J)
    31 gr (2.0 g) copper-plated RN[3] 1,750 ft/s (530 m/s) 204 ft⋅lbf (277 J)
    30 gr (1.9 g) copper-plated HP[3] 1,640 ft/s (500 m/s) 191 ft⋅lbf (259 J)
    Test barrel length: 18.5 in (470 mm)
    Source(s): [2][3]
    In terms of units sold it is by far the most common ammunition in the world today. Common uses include hunting and shooting sports. The .22 Long Rifle is effective at short ranges and has little recoil making it ideal for training.

Two .22 LR rounds compared to a .45 ACP cartridge
    The .22 LR is effective to 150 yd (140 m), though practical ranges tend to be less. After 150 yd, the ballistics of the round are such that it will be difficult to compensate for the large "drop". The relatively short effective range, low report, and light recoil have made it a favorite for use as a target-practice cartridge. The accuracy of the cartridge is good, but not exceptional; various cartridges are capable of the same or better accuracy. A contributing factor in rifles is the transition of even a high-velocity cartridge projectile from supersonic to subsonic within 100 yd (91 m). As the bullet slows, the shock wave caused by supersonic travel overtakes the bullet and can disrupt its flight path, causing minor but measurable inaccuracies.

When zeroed for 100 yards (91 m), the arc-trajectory of the standard high-velocity .22 LR with a 40 gr (2.6 g) bullet has a 2.7-inch (69 mm) rise at 50 yards (46 m), and a 10.8-inch (27 cm) drop at 150 yards (140 m).[10] A .22 LR rifle needs to be zeroed for 75 yards (69 m) to avoid overshooting small animals like squirrels at intermediate distances.[10]

As a hunting cartridge, rimfires are mainly used to kill small game up to the size of coyotes.[11] Although proper shot placement can kill larger animals such as deer or hog,[12] it is not recommended because its low power may not guarantee a humane kill.[13] In 2013, an elephant was killed by multiple shots from a .22 LR rifle.[14]

Because a .22 LR bullet is less powerful than larger cartridges, its danger to humans is often underestimated. In fact, a .22 LR bullet is easily capable of killing or injuring humans. Even after flying 400 yards (370 m), a .22 bullet is still traveling at about 500 ft/s (150 m/s). Ricochets are more common in .22 LR[15] projectiles than for more powerful cartridges as the combination of unjacketed lead and moderate velocities allows the projectile to deflect – not penetrate or disintegrate – when hitting hard objects at a glancing angle. A .22 LR bullet can ricochet off the surface of water at a low angle of aim. Severe injury may result to a person or object in the line of fire on the opposite shore, several hundred yards away.[16] A .22 LR bullet is capable of traveling 2,000 yards (1,800 m), which is more than 1 mile (1.6 km).[17]

Rimfire bullets are generally either plain lead with a wax coating (for standard-velocity loads) or plated with copper or gilding metal (for high-velocity or hyper-velocity loads). The thin copper layer on plated bullet functions as a lubricant reducing friction between the bullet and the barrel, thus reducing barrel wear. Plating also prevents oxidation of the lead bullet. Lead tends to oxidize if stored for long periods. On a plain lead bullet, oxide on the bullet's surface can increase its diameter enough to either prevent insertion of the cartridge into the chamber, or – with high velocity rounds – cause dangerously high pressures in the barrel, potentially rupturing the cartridge case and injuring the shooter; for that reason, standard and subsonic cartridges usually use a wax lubricant on lead bullets.

DONE DEAL!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is some good information.

.22 Long Rifle

The .22 Long Rifle or simply .22 LR (metric designation: 5.6×15mmR) is a long-established variety of .22 caliber rimfire ammunition originating from the United States. It is used in a wide range of rifles, pistols, revolvers, smoothbore shotguns, and submachine guns.

.22 Long Rifle (.22 LR)
    .22 LR.jpg
    .22 Long Rifle – subsonic hollow point (left), standard velocity (center), hyper-velocity hollow point (right)
    Type
    Rimfire cartridge
    Place of origin
    United States
    Production history
    Designer
    Union Metallic Cartridge Company
    Designed
    Specifications
    Parent case
    .22 Long[1]
    Case type
    Rimmed, straight[1]
    Bullet diameter
    0.223 in (5.7 mm) - 0.2255 in (5.73 mm)[1]
    Land diameter
    0.212 in (5.4 mm)
    Neck diameter
    .226 in (5.7 mm)[1]
    Base diameter
    .226 in (5.7 mm)[1]
    Rim diameter
    .278 in (7.1 mm)[1]
    Rim thickness
    .043 in (1.1 mm)[1]
    Case length
    .613 in (15.6 mm)[1]
    Overall length
    1.000 in (25.4 mm)[1]
    Rifling twist
    1:16"[1]
    Primer type
    Rimfire[1]
    Ballistic performance
    Bullet mass/type Velocity Energy
    40 gr (2.6 g) solid[2] 1,200 ft/s (370 m/s) 131 ft⋅lbf (178 J)
    38 gr (2.5 g) copper-plated HP[2] 1,260 ft/s (380 m/s) 134 ft⋅lbf (182 J)
    32 gr (2.1 g) copper-plated HP[2] 1,430 ft/s (440 m/s) 141 ft⋅lbf (191 J)
    31 gr (2.0 g) copper-plated RN[3] 1,750 ft/s (530 m/s) 204 ft⋅lbf (277 J)
    30 gr (1.9 g) copper-plated HP[3] 1,640 ft/s (500 m/s) 191 ft⋅lbf (259 J)
    Test barrel length: 18.5 in (470 mm)
    Source(s): [2][3]
    In terms of units sold it is by far the most common ammunition in the world today. Common uses include hunting and shooting sports. The .22 Long Rifle is effective at short ranges and has little recoil making it ideal for training.

Two .22 LR rounds compared to a .45 ACP cartridge
    The .22 LR is effective to 150 yd (140 m), though practical ranges tend to be less. After 150 yd, the ballistics of the round are such that it will be difficult to compensate for the large "drop". The relatively short effective range, low report, and light recoil have made it a favorite for use as a target-practice cartridge. The accuracy of the cartridge is good, but not exceptional; various cartridges are capable of the same or better accuracy. A contributing factor in rifles is the transition of even a high-velocity cartridge projectile from supersonic to subsonic within 100 yd (91 m). As the bullet slows, the shock wave caused by supersonic travel overtakes the bullet and can disrupt its flight path, causing minor but measurable inaccuracies.

When zeroed for 100 yards (91 m), the arc-trajectory of the standard high-velocity .22 LR with a 40 gr (2.6 g) bullet has a 2.7-inch (69 mm) rise at 50 yards (46 m), and a 10.8-inch (27 cm) drop at 150 yards (140 m).[10] A .22 LR rifle needs to be zeroed for 75 yards (69 m) to avoid overshooting small animals like squirrels at intermediate distances.[10]

As a hunting cartridge, rimfires are mainly used to kill small game up to the size of coyotes.[11] Although proper shot placement can kill larger animals such as deer or hog,[12] it is not recommended because its low power may not guarantee a humane kill.[13] In 2013, an elephant was killed by multiple shots from a .22 LR rifle.[14]

Because a .22 LR bullet is less powerful than larger cartridges, its danger to humans is often underestimated. In fact, a .22 LR bullet is easily capable of killing or injuring humans. Even after flying 400 yards (370 m), a .22 bullet is still traveling at about 500 ft/s (150 m/s). Ricochets are more common in .22 LR[15] projectiles than for more powerful cartridges as the combination of unjacketed lead and moderate velocities allows the projectile to deflect – not penetrate or disintegrate – when hitting hard objects at a glancing angle. A .22 LR bullet can ricochet off the surface of water at a low angle of aim. Severe injury may result to a person or object in the line of fire on the opposite shore, several hundred yards away.[16] A .22 LR bullet is capable of traveling 2,000 yards (1,800 m), which is more than 1 mile (1.6 km).[17]

Rimfire bullets are generally either plain lead with a wax coating (for standard-velocity loads) or plated with copper or gilding metal (for high-velocity or hyper-velocity loads). The thin copper layer on plated bullet functions as a lubricant reducing friction between the bullet and the barrel, thus reducing barrel wear. Plating also prevents oxidation of the lead bullet. Lead tends to oxidize if stored for long periods. On a plain lead bullet, oxide on the bullet's surface can increase its diameter enough to either prevent insertion of the cartridge into the chamber, or – with high velocity rounds – cause dangerously high pressures in the barrel, potentially rupturing the cartridge case and injuring the shooter; for that reason, standard and subsonic cartridges usually use a wax lubricant on lead bullets.
    1902 Coal War, yes the government sent in troops on American soil and skirmishes did happen. The 22lr went head to head against military gunner positions.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good read, just to much for my brain to handle all i can handle is what ammo and what I have got to do to make it hit where i want it to.
    JJ!
    I got you a box of Norma to try out in your Ruger PR.
    C0B0F6AE-82B6-4378-856C-41AD7170B565.jpeg

See ya in a couple weeks when I get back home!

DONE DEAL!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    According to my hokey nikon app. 50yd 0, 54.38 inch drop at 200. With the cci sv. Can that be right?? Don't know barrel lenght on the app or bolt,auto.
    Sub Velocity rds are quirky because of leas power. They die easy because of the barrel being to short to maximize powder burn or too long and you'll have drag issues after max Q.
    Aguilla 60 SSS bypass this with inertia.
    Once moving, it keeps on trucking.
    All of them though will have significant drop but 54.38" @ 50yds seems way off the charts to me.

DONE DEAL!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So today, I ordered a 6.5 x 24 x 42 scope to see what I'm aiming at. I like to focus on the stamp marks on a shotgun shell at 200 yrds :)
    I hope I've still got it

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    My long distance 22LR shooting experience is 12 oz coke cans at 200 yds. with a Ruger MKII pistol, off hand and iron sights. Shooting CCI mini mags of course. It's really not that difficult and a lot of fun!!!!

DONE DEAL!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My long distance 22LR shooting experience is 12 oz coke cans at 200 yds. with a Ruger MKII pistol, off hand and iron sights. Shooting CCI mini mags of course. It's really not that difficult and a lot of fun!!!!
    My friend with his XP 100 at 500 would warm up with his Benchmark at 200 on clays.
    It is fun.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    My best kill shot to date, with a 22 LR:

I was fishing in a pond, catching a few bass, with salamanders I dug up from under rotten logs in the woods. Had just reeled in a 4 lb. bass when I heard something walking in the dry leaves. I looked across the pond only to see a big ol'e fat doe feeding on acorns about 65 yards away. I put the bass back and reached for my Nylon 66 propped on the pine tree next to me. It was loaded with Rem. thunderbolts and I new it was a heart shot or nothing, because her head was down. Knowing I had only one chance, I took careful aim with the iron sights and squeezed the trigger. At the sound of the shot she raised her head and started to slowly walk off. I waited a few minutes and went to where she was standing at the shot. She had walked about ten yards and collapsed dead with no sounds what so ever. The bullet centered one rib on entrance, clipped the top of the heart and centered one rib as it exited the opposite side. She made for some mighty fine table fixin's

DONE DEAL!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've seen a sow hog taken with a 22 and had the sh!t scared out of me when her pod came running in to help.
    She only spun in place and let out a quick squeal.
    We were hired to shoot raccoons that were eating on deer feeders and my friend thought WTH then took the shot.
    I had a Contender so you know my sh!t was weak , I brought a Ruger 10/22 the next time.
    55lbs dressed and tasty.
    I know big animals can be taken with a 22 because some sh!tbag shot and killed a neighbor's horse.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Sub Velocity rds are quirky because of leas power. They die easy because of the barrel being to short to maximize powder burn or too long and you'll have drag issues after max Q.
    Aguilla 60 SSS bypass this with inertia.
    Once moving, it keeps on trucking.
    All of them though will have significant drop but 54.38" @ 50yds seems way off the charts to me.
    Ya, I'm gonna $hitcan that nikon app. Fyi it was 54 inches at 200 yards with 50 yard zero.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Looking for my 22LR lovers out there.
    Don't get me wrong, I was that guy with the 338 Win Mag, 45-70, 308 @ 1000 + yds...once but I've always enjoyed putting a 22lr rd into the open end of a spent 12 ga at 200 yds with my CZ.
    I currently have a virgin Christensen Arms Ranger that hasn't sold so why not put a few rds through her and see what she does. I would have to get a much better scope first though
    Why 22lr you ask? Because it hurt me to spend $100 in ammo for three hours of fun ten years ago so can you imagine now with the cost of ammo?
    I say bring on the 22lr and still have money for food
    Shout out to other rim fire tac drivers.
    how did the 45-70 @ 1000 yards go?

Top Bottom