• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I purchased a swinging steel target from academy for shooting a 22lr handgun and a 22lr rifle...4 small targets on bottom and 1 on top to reset. My question is should I be worried about ricochet? All I have been able to find is hv hollow points and normally I'd put some safety glasses on and test it out but my wife and children will be coming with me so I feel like I should reach out for some information because I take their safety seriously.
    If you have real experience, please chime in and let me know if this is a bad idea. We can shoot at paper no problem but I figure hearing and seeing the targets will be more enjoyable. I have 3 pairs of safety glasses but I can grab a couple more otw to range.
    Am I overreacting by worrying about it? I would think they wouldn't sell the target if it was dangerous but it says not to use HYPER velocity. That's not the same as high velocity correct? And I plan on angling it down toward the ground and theres no pitting cus I just bought it today
    Flow

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Swinging targets with 22s has been fine with me at around 25yds, maybe 20. The splatter may fall onto the roof but I've yet to have any come back on me.
    *same Academy swinging targets*
    Of course ear and eye pro is a must.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My opinion is - -> if the steel stays square to the bullets trajectory the bullet will shatter. However some 22LR bullets are not "sinker lead". They are somewhat harder.
    I have never had a bullet bounce back at me,but have heard them ricochet .... somewhere. (??) --- SAWMAN

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Didn't realize it was going to be raining this morning. Oh well maybe it was meant not to be

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve had one set up at 50 yards for several years now , with no problem. I think mine came from Cabela’s but they are likely the same thing. I believe the swinging pendulum absorbs most of the energy if the point of impact is on the round target disk.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW: I would consider what the target mfr say, knowing it's probably been lawyer proofed. Here's one used for their entire selection of targets:

WE WANT YOU TO BE SAFE!

When using steel targets safe shooting distances are as follows: Handguns — 15 yards or greater; Rifles — 100 yards or greater. Steel targets should never be shot with a 50 BMG or steel core bullets. Any bullet with steel in jacket could dimple AR500 when shot at close range. If bullet projectile is magnetic it contains steel. BB, pellet and airsoft guns should not be used. They will bounce back.

Superior Ideas, Inc. assumes no responsibility or liability whatsoever for the use or misuse of targets. You are agreeing to these terms as a buyer.

Link is: https://sitargets.com/product-category/22lr-rimfire-ar500-steel-targets/

I've gotten rifle fired 22LR splatter @15(?) yards that had to be pulled out of bare skin (half in, half out), Lesson Learned. No back splatter from 22LR rifle or handgun @ 20+ but that could be luck and I wouldn't recommend risk prone actions to others. Is the 100 yards overly cautious for a 22LR from a Rifle, I think so. Only takes one sliver in the wrong place for a real bad experience.

skipperbrown

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Everyone in the shooting area should have eye and ear protection. I think safety is greatly enhanced if the target swings when hit. Years ago I shot smallbore rifle silhouette and some clubs were using railroad rail as a platform for the steel targets when they got started in the game. At 40m, if the shooter missed the chicken and hit the rail just right, the bullet would come right back to the firing line at enough velocity to cause a painful bruise. Clubs quickly dropped railroad rail as a suitable platform. I never experienced a bullet return on a struck metal target that moved, but the closest target was 40m.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was told of an occurrence at ERGC of the jacket from a .22 rebounding with some force. I would avoid the jacketed .22 hypervelocity ammo for steel plate shooting. I have put 1,000's of HV plated bullets on steel w/o any issues.

PINELOG

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have shot all types of ammo at my steel with no problems . However I do hang mine at about a 20 to 30 degree downward angle .

makats

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Are there any places in the FL panhandle area where you can set-up steel targets to shoot at with 22lr outside of shooting ranges on public land? I've heard that it should be okay to shoot anywhere where hunting is permitted and when 22lr is allowed to collect game, just wanted to see if somebody is actually doing it, or is it better to stick to the designated range?

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I had a (3) different sized steel spinner target that said it was for any rimfire... apparently that did not include .17 hmr! My .17 HMR drilled clean holes completely through the steel spinners at 25 yds like they went through wet cardboard! :( So just a word of caution if using .17 HMR!:oops:

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are there any places in the FL panhandle area where you can set-up steel targets to shoot at with 22lr outside of shooting ranges on public land? I've heard that it should be okay to shoot anywhere where hunting is permitted and when 22lr is allowed to collect game, just wanted to see if somebody is actually doing it, or is it better to stick to the designated range?
    Pigfarm in robertsdale is where I had intended on setting mine up. I've seen people setup steel on the long range area but theres pistol berms you can rimfire at

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a (3) different sized steel spinner target that said it was for any rimfire... apparently that did not include .17 hmr! My .17 HMR drilled clean holes completely through the steel spinners at 25 yds like they went through wet cardboard! :( So just a word of caution if using .17 HMR!:oops:
    Velocity counts and the .17 is a lot faster than any 22LR. You want AR500 steel I would say 3/8" thick.

2,650 ft/s

. 17 HMR
    Bullet mass/typeVelocityEnergy
    17 gr. (1.1 g)2,650 ft/s (810 m/s)245 ft⋅lbf (332 J)
    20 gr. (1.3 g)2,350 ft/s (720 m/s)250 ft⋅lbf (340 J)

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A little bunny trail here, but if ruger would set up the 57 pistol in that caliber, I would interested. It would shoot through body armor.

Top Bottom