• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccc

Master
    Never been into the latest round of the month club.

Last edited:

.22 cents

Master

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Never been in the heavy-for-caliber club.

To my way of thinking, the .224 caliber tops out about 62 grains. I can't wrap my head around 70+gr projectiles.

Time to step up to the 243/6mm.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Never been in the heavy-for-caliber club.

To my way of thinking, the .224 caliber tops out about 62 grains. I can't wrap my head around 70+gr projectiles.

Time to step up to the 243/6mm.

Certainly there's a trade off for speed as bullet weight goes up. With that said, I've always looked at the .223/5.56 being a 500-600 yard performer max (I know, people shoot it at greater distances)... thus if doing for 400-600 yard shots with even the slightest of wind, the heavies help compensate to some degree.

My buddy recently acquired the Vandal and it won't shoot the 80gr ELD-X better than 1.5-2.0 MOA, he was very disappointed until he tried the 80gr ELD-Match, he said it was a lot better BUT did not say what "a lot" was... of course for that kind of money it should shoot both well IMO.

As with many of these new cartridges from Hornady, the ammo is super expensive, brass to roll your own is hard, if not impossible to get, thus makes shooting these rounds kind of a rich man's game... all for a few hundred FPS that a target or animal won't really appreciate.

The fastest chrony read my buddy got was 3014 FPS, but that's from the 18" barreled rifle so there's still some room for more speed... but how much?

I'm getting just over 2700 FPS from my 18" Mk12 builds with 77gr OTM (,223)... I'm less than 300 FPS behind his numbers... not really that bad IMO considering. Of course the 80gr X and Match are better when looking at the BC.

I'm awaiting the release of 22 ARC brass, that's the one I'd like for am AR platform.

rossi

Master

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Certainly there's a trade off for speed as bullet weight goes up. With that said, I've always looked at the .223/5.56 being a 500-600 yard performer max (I know, people shoot it at greater distances)... thus if doing for 400-600 yard shots with even the slightest of wind, the heavies help compensate to some degree.

My buddy recently acquired the Vandal and it won't shoot the 80gr ELD-X better than 1.5-2.0 MOA, he was very disappointed until he tried the 80gr ELD-Match, he said it was a lot better BUT did not say what "a lot" was... of course for that kind of money it should shoot both well IMO.

As with many of these new cartridges from Hornady, the ammo is super expensive, brass to roll your own is hard, if not impossible to get, thus makes shooting these rounds kind of a rich man's game... all for a few hundred FPS that a target or animal won't really appreciate.

The fastest chrony read my buddy got was 3014 FPS, but that's from the 18" barreled rifle so there's still some room for more speed... but how much?

I'm getting just over 2700 FPS from my 18" Mk12 builds with 77gr OTM (,223)... I'm less than 300 FPS behind his numbers... not really that bad IMO considering. Of course the 80gr X and Match are better when looking at the BC.

I'm awaiting the release of 22 ARC brass, that's the one I'd like for am AR platform.
    I think it is great that Hornady is putting so much support in these cartridges, because that's what is needed.

Furthermore, I grew up and cut my teeth shooting short range benchrest (NBRSA), so to me, all this long range stuff is interesting, but a lot of ballistic masturbation is going on too. Gotta learn to load, read the wind, and shoot.
    Just buying an off-the shelf stick because it's chambered in the latest whizz bang round does not make a marksman or reloader. And a lot of the gunsmiths I used back in the day have passed on. That's the true loss.

I will also add that component quality and availability has come a long, long way. I can recall when we thought Lapua brass was a holy grail brass.

ccc

Master
    Manufacturers know that the new upcoming man bun fad boys wearing the skinny jeans are on the edge of their seats for the latest and greatest “I got the newest caliber”, “You are soooooo behind the times”. Meanwhile old timers are filling freezers with dead animals using the same calibers for 50 years.

Signed 1971 Browning BAR 30.06 stacking bodies!!!!!!

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    If I were starting out today in the shooting sports and was a new hunter, then the 6.5CM does make some sense.

But there is nothing the 6.5CM can do that there is not already something out that does the same thing (think primarily hunting), and deer and paper don’t know the difference.
    I think it’s best feature is off the shelf baked in quality. It doesn’t take much tuning to get a 6.5 to shoot well. It’s just that well balanced a cartridge. To that end, it deserves credit.
    But I’m not a new hunter or reloader nor am I about to start all over again.

Top Bottom