• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kubasaki

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It has been two weeks since I have been able to sneak in a hunt. My father and uncle have been hunting the last week with five of the days resulting with one or two bucks, no wall hangers but enough to drive you crazy. They saw deer every day. With my work schedule and house obligations I have been screwed most of 2021, for the better but screwed. The weather is sucking, there is this intermittent rain/drizzle going on. Of all the days the wife granted me this afternoon on short notice because the in-laws just made it in. I left the house around 1500. Anytime is better than no time I was telling myself. 1.5 hours of driving one way for 1 hour of hunting is still worth it sometimes.

My dad and uncle have spent the whole day in the woods both in blinds. I took the only spot left open on this property, a tripod with a blind zip tied on top of it. It looks down one lane only. Not the most exciting spot but it has produced some good deer over the years.

I climbed into the tripod with my 270 at 1630 and the drizzle turns back into rain. I was watching the squirrels and birds not caring about the rain enjoying the fading afternoon. I was questioning myself on if I wasted my drive over and if I forgot my flashlight in the truck, which I did. It was about 15 minutes of daylight left when the rain decided to stopped. The wind calmed and the birds settled down. Moments we live for. I was looking for disappeared squirrels when I see horns on the right far side of the lane. He is about 100yards away and I could see his horns are wider than his ears, he is at least an eight point I was thinking. I picked up my rifle. He stuck his head in and out 3-4 times but his body never left the cover. I wasn’t sure if he was going to try and cross before dark. I was whispering “Commit Fool, Commit You F***er”. He is hesitant but he takes a step into the lane, he’s going for it and as soon as his front shoulders cleared the edge I squeeze the trigger. I have this smoke cloud for a second and when it cleared no deer in the lane. Was it the humidity or I don’t know what but I felt like I just shot a musket. I shot two deer last year with this rifle and they fell like a bag of shit. Did I miss? There is no body in the lane. I was now questioning did I bump my scope at some point.

I climbed down and go over to where I shot him. Night is working itself in and I am now using my cell phone for a light source because I forgot my flashlight in the truck. The ground is wet and the phone light sucks. I was able to see pink bubbly tissue in the lane and I knew It was decent shot. I felt relieved. My father came and joined me and we tracked his body. The first 50 yards were specks to small areas of blood but the last 30-40 yards looked like you let loose with a pail of red paint. He went about 80-90 yards. It was dark dark by the time we got him dragged out. It took a while to get him but it was awesome!!!!!!

I have a picture of him on a trail cam earlier in year.
    He’s a 10 point, I’m doing a European mount

F9F34F75-738A-4211-9388-4E622091E423.jpeg
    645D2AD6-2C11-4A4D-BC09-8EF77EDC564F.jpeg

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice late season buck! Congrats!!! Glad he probably bred up some does!

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Congrats on the buck, I get many pics of bucks that I never see while hunting, always nice to have the opportunity to drop one that you have a trail cam pic of.

Top Bottom