• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Let me start by saying that I'm not as familiar with the 1911 platform as other types of guns and need help with the slide stop. I have to admit that I have only taken apart and cleaned the 1911 2-3 times. The last time I took it apart was a few weeks ago after a range trip, cleaned it but never assembled it. This past weekend, I figured I should clean it again and put it back together. Now, I have cleaned it but when I try to put the slide stop in, it passes the plunger and inserts into the recessed notch on the slide, but it does not want to move forward. It seems like the slide stop is in the way of the slide, but it looks like it is in there? Am I missing something? I have looked at all the internet videos and I think that I am doing everything right, but I wanted to see if any of your 1911 gurus on this forum have some info for me to try.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    As far as I can tell, it is in the hole. I tested it by putting the slide stop in the hole while letting it drop perpendicular to the slide. Then I push the slide back and try to move the barrel and it does not budge. If it wasn't correctly inserted into the barrel linkage, I would be able to move the barrel. Logically I believe that is correct.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    BTW, I want to give a big shout-out to "fla kid" for taking some time out of his day to try and help me out with a phone call. Nice guy and very knowledgeable about 1911.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Was it the barrel linkage? Did you get it reassembled?

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Not reassembled yet. I'm thinking it's the slide stop itself. With the slide off and the slide stop inserted into the hole, the stop does not sit fully flush to the frame? I'm questioning it because this is the only 1911 I have worked on...
    68411862999__E583AEBE-4F1C-464C-9F15-C38F4BABD72F.HEIC.jpg

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Could be warped but to me it appears the plunger pin at the rear of the slide stop is not seated. It can sometimes be a little difficult to seat.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I appreciate it Oneshot. I will try to catch up with you later this week. I got a new slide stop on the way, just in case. If it's not that, then I will have spare parts...lol

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Just to follow up...I got the new Slide Stop in and it went in like a champ. I will probably inspect the old slide stop with the new one and figure out what is the issue. We are all goo now.

Top Bottom