• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryanclay24

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello all! I'm new here. I (mainly the wife) just inherited my wife's great grandfather's Sako. He bought it new in the 1950's and it was chambered in .17 Javelina. There were no markings on the barrel so this has been a journey already just trying to figure out which ".17 Wildcat" this gun shot. Now that I know it is the Javelina, I would like to buy the necessary equipment to reload. I will just now be getting into reloading as well, so I don't know EXACTLY what all is needed. I do have 56 spent casings and lots of the old hollow point 25gr bullets. I have those because my wife's grandfather was going down this same path many years ago before he passed. I just got the gun from her father. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101244296?pid=652252 here are the dies. You will need a rockchucker press along with powder and primers. I would start with reading the Lyman Reloading Handbook. If you plan on shooting this rifle it may be easier to set that barrel back and rechamber to a more common case. This depends on what shape those 56 cases are in.

Ryanclay24

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101244296?pid=652252 here are the dies. You will need a rockchucker press along with powder and primers. I would start with reading the Lyman Reloading Handbook. If you plan on shooting this rifle it may be easier to set that barrel back and rechamber to a more common case. This depends on what shape those 56 cases are in.
    Thank you! I have searched and searched! I do have an old press that JJ is helping me out with. I ordered the Ackley book V2, but it isn't in there. I was told it is in V1 so I am trying to get my hands on that. I will check out the Lyman book as well. Unfortunately, this is a family rifle that my wife said " I would rather it never be shot again than be changed from where Grandpa Buster had it" so a more common round isn't an option. Some of the cartridges have cracked necks, some can be used again. I don't have an accurate count right now.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The javelin is slightly smaller than the 17 Mark IV, it should be ok to use data for it in the javelin. I have some data for the javelin but it’s up at the river house , I’ll get it when I go up there Saturday and post it for you . The O'brien Rifle Company made a few of these rifles in 17 javelin. I had a friend that shot one of them for a good many years.

Ryanclay24

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    seems to be a lot of info on google, reloading, origins,everything
    There is a lot of “basic” information, from what I was able to find. I even found a website that told you the reload recipe, but you had to subscribe to actually view it. I did order the dies that someone else found, which did not come up in multiple .17 Javelina die set searches. I was more interested in personal experiences than Google at this point. I appreciate the reply!

Top Bottom