• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drc2777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thinking of buying another shotgun soon, more than likely a pump action, and I've seen that 20 gauge is less likely to over penetrate versus 12 gauge; is it worth for the sake of safety to invest into a 20 gauge, or would a 12 gauge be fine as is?

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Shot size is more important then gauge. Rather than 00 buck, use number 4 for less penetration. IMHO

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Don't over think it , and get away from u-tube. Having had to use one, I learn a lot. . Your not deer hunting. Just think about what you want to accomplish, If in you house, look at what distance you will be ,most house,s rooms are about 12 ft. and a hallways will be about 20 ft. Now get your some 1/2 in plywood and some difference loads of 2 3/4 loads of bird shot , you can get other wall materials you want to. And go on a learning. Now remember your not going to combat. deer hunting , shooting up cars just HD. and don't want to shoot the neighbors, they want want to help you., if you don;t shoot up they house. Just my 5 cents

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Go to a range and set up a target at 30 feet (10 yards is further than virtually anyone would be shooting at someone inside their home) and repeat at maybe 10-15 feet. Use what you have now and an assortment of smaller shot--even down to 7s and up to 4s or 2s (regular shot not buckshot), if you can find them. At that range, you don't get a huge spread on most guns. You don't want to get hit with any of that in either 12 or 20 gauge. The damage at that range will be devastating. If you'd prefer even less recoil, get the 20 gauge. May want to look at the Federal 3rd degree shells too--turkey blend with mix of 5, 6, and TSS 7s. Kinda pricey, but I imagine they'd work nicely for the job.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Thinking of buying another shotgun soon, more than likely a pump action, and I've seen that 20 gauge is less likely to over penetrate versus 12 gauge; is it worth for the sake of safety to invest into a 20 gauge, or would a 12 gauge be fine as is?
    I'd hate to get hit by any caliber... at least with 20 you're not getting floored by recoil too

Last edited:

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    At short range, the difference on the receiving end is negligible.
    I worked several homicides when I was a Detective where a shotgun was used. On the slab at the autopsy, you really can't see any appreciable difference at typical inside the house ranges between 12 ga and 20 ga. FWIW, most average people can work a 20 ga pump much faster than a 12 ga pump. Just my .02 worth!

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    some 1/2 in plywood and some difference loads
    If you live alone don't be afraid to open up the end of your barrel. You'll hit the whole sheet of plywood in less than 20 feet. Can't miss. It's a show stopper. Oh, one more thing... doorways are convenient kill zones, but make sure you have all wood doors, no steel doors, or else you very well could have shot come back towards you

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^ How can you argue with a dude with a beard like that! ^

Plus, he demonstrates that birdshot is way more than adequate for inside the home. Tell me you'd like to get shot with that even in .410.

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No disagreement from me with using either. I will say what keeps me coming back to 12 is the vast plethora of defense specific loads for it compared to 20. The police have used 12 long enough that ammo manufacturers make it easy to follow their lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom