• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I read an article about an Iraqi rifle calle the Tabuk in 7.62x39 23 inch barrell says they used it a a DMR (designated marksman rifle) got me thinking if a RPK could work in the same way just throw a scope on it idk what are your thoughts?

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The RPK is better as a squad light machine gun/ sustained fire weapon. The Tabuk is a lighter version of the Rommy PSL54 and honestly the Tabuk is every bit as effective and accurate as a good SKS, possibly with a hair more accuracy. The RPK was not built for precision work. While you could scope it and get a better sight picture beyond 150 meters, you will not achieve better accuracy other than the bullets will land a little closer to where your crosshairs are.

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Allow me to clarify my statement as to the use of the RPK either in 7.62 or 5.45 as a designated marksman's rifle.

The role of a DMR, particularly by Com-bloc militaries, is to provide more accurate AND more effective/lethal aimed fire at ranges beyond what the AK variants are capable of. Not a one off home-made premium barreled milled action job firing only the finest reloads for ultimate accuracy, just an arsenal built RPK designed to lay down sustained short to medium range fire as an LMG. My personal experience with the RPK (in 7.62x39) was that iron sights allowed me to hit a ten inch gong about 80% of the time at 100yrds, about 50% at 200 and reasonably close to harass someone at 300. With a sidemount 4x POSP I could do 100% at 100, about 80% at 200, and occasionally at 300. At 400 this round has dropped between 40 to 50 inches as packs the punch of a .45ACP+P at the muzzle which is okay if you want to wound someone if you can actually connect as the typical MOA of these rifles is between 2.5 and 4. Therefore, even scoped you will likely only hit near where your aiming like maybe a foot either side once you get out to the beginning of DMR ranges.
    Conversely, weapons such as the SVD, NDM and PSL were purpose built as DMR rifles meant to more accurately engage targets beyond 300 and 400 meters. The commies know this which is why they haven't bothered with a DMR type rifle in an intermediate cartridge since making some accurized SVT40s.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you can find one, a decently built AES-10 with a long flash hider would make a decent tabuk clone. I think the tabuk was more of a way to bridge the gap between the ak and the svd. I had one and am still kicking my self for getting rid of it. I found that putting the bipod further back on the barrel helped with accuracy but I think an RPK is probably my favorite gun to shoot especially with a drum mag and when ammo was still dirt cheap. It's not a sniper rifle but its a lot more accurate than people give it credit for.

Top Bottom