• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was in the garage going through some goodies and found a krinks ak receiver. I've heard these are basically just paperweights and weren't built great. It does appear to have the "extra" hole drilled in it for no reason. Also it's out of square but I've just about fixed that. It isn't heat treated so if I use it it will have to be treated. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I do this at home?

Thanks in advance.

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not a builder but if it were me I would ship it to a professional to have it heat treated. Someone that does this for a living, and there are more than a few, can square it and treat it so it sets correctly. From what I've seen it isn't very expensive.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it really has the 3rd hole....then you should really consider chopping it up. I'd say weld up,the hole quick...but that can be hard to accomplish to a legal standards.
    I'm slowly putting together the tools to build up some parts kits.....its little bit of an investment. Unless you have 4 or more kits to build....it's probably not worth it.
    Unless you want to build an ak NOW....then you would be better off waiting a couple months until NoDak Spud gets caught up and buy a receiver from them. It will come finished...with the center support, rails, and heat treated....for a little over $100.
    Even if you could fix your receiver, weld in rails,center support, and heat treated....then you would still have a no name receiver with no serial number.
    One last problem with having just a receiver....parts kits have gone through the roof....may actually cheaper to buy a working gun.
    Sorry to be negative....just trying to be helpful.
    Good luck!
    Edit: sorry....assumed it was just an 80% ....if its a finished receiver...but has an unpopular maker..plus has other issues....you would still be better off with a NoDak receiver....they are considered the best to date.

Last edited:

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry, shuld have clarified. The "extra" hole is nothing illegal or meant for a fa. It is literally an extra mystery hole in the front of the receiver that serves zero purpose. It has the rails spotted in and if ready to be heat treated. It is a numbered legal receiver, just trying to determine if it is worth my time to build. I will have to look into sending it of, just kinda hoping I could heat treat it myself for the satisfaction of doing it.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gottcha. Glad it wasn't the infamous hole. If you find someone that does heat treating at a reasonable rate, Id love to get that info from you. From what Ive found....you need a pretty nice computer controlled/gas purged kiln to do the treating correctly....anything less is not reliable.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a Krinks AK... thing about fell apart if you looked at it wrong, not only was it not heat treated properly, but it was also out of spec... so even with proper treating it standard parts wouldn't fit it, it was too long, the dust cover didn't reach the rear of the gun.

Top Bottom