• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snow Bird

Master
    45 years ago today National Guard Troops fired on college students. Still think the Mil won't fire on Americans. Granted it didn't come from the top but students were fired on and killed.

And no I don't have the story for you to go to but it was on MSN. Just Google it.

MAXman

Master
    I once had a American history professor describe the incident as one group of draft dodgers shooting another group of draft dodgers. The man was in the marine corps stationed in some rice paddy in the rvn.

*not my sentiments, just somehing I heard*

Snow Bird

Master
    There was a time when going into the National Guard did for the most part keep you at home and out of the war so there might be some truth to it. I don't know what years that changed Saw a poster on the front of a Humve overseas that said ONE WEEKEND A MONTH MY ASS

That was in one of our latest wars

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    Ya snowbird, I know during the gulf war in 91 it's was just about all of the national gaurd and reserve force out joining in the fun.
    I personally worked with the minnisota national gaurd(they were truck drivers but shockingly efficient, proficient and professional to this marine) as well as a unit from Arizona in Afghanistan. I don't know which wars they participate in and which they sit out, it's possible that since Vietnam wasn't an official *war* (just a expensive decade long cluster fuck in the jungle) a lot of governors decided to keep their gaurd at home. Don't know. Wasn't around then.

Idoono

Master
    I believe the army was large enough at that time so the guard did not need to be called up (think draft). And yes, I remember that day.

Idoono

JGH

Expert
    I read about it in the Stars and Stripes. You miss a lot when you're in a jungle half way around the world.

Garpo

Master
    45 years ago today National Guard Troops fired on college students. Still think the Mil won't fire on Americans?

I saw that when I was 27 and I fear that I will see it once more (on a larger scale) before I leave for the happy hunting ground.

Top Bottom