• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drop Zone

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking at getting a .17 HMR and was wanting some inputs from the experts on them from the forum. Thanks

snpmorgan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Really love my German made weatherby. Also have a savage .17hmr over 20ga. Sweetest squirrel gun ever

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've got the Marlin 17V HMR, Bolt action, with the heavy bull barrel. I appropriately named it the "AT&T". 'Cause it'll "Reach out and Touch" whatever the crosshairs are on. Head shots on squirrels at 100+yds at nuttin' with this rifle. Got a VX2 3x9x40 Leupold on it. Gotta have good glass, or you'll be spinning your wheels.
    Oh and might I add, it doesn't have as much "long range" accuracy if using either the hollow-points or the FMJ rounds, as it is with the Hornady V-Max. The V-Max round is truely remarkable for it's accuracy. And there is Zero droppage intrajectory @ 100yds.
    I'm sure someone is going jump in and say the v-max isn't any good and something else is just as good or better. So, before you do, I am talking about "My rifle", not yours.

As far as other name brands and not so name brand, I can't say about them. I've no complaints on my Marlin.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Back in Idaho we have a quad zillion ground squirrels. I prefer the long shots. went through a bunch of stock .22LR Some better then others. .22Mag accuracy was worst then an average 22LR. I borrowed a .17HMR form the Father-in Law. Flat and accurate with the right round BUT SPENDY TO FEED. Hen you spend about 5 hours Squirreling you go through a lot of rounds. If your going after something like badger, rock-chuck where you get a few dozen shots and your done; fine. but squirreling in dense populations will put you in the poor house. In my opinion, the best bone stock .22LR is the bolt action Marlin 880SQ (Squirrel) I paid $169 a long time ago. Mounted and old Weaver 10X (fine cross hair), This loooong scope looks scary on a .22! If you can do your part, that gun will drop small ground squirrels a 135 yards (range finder) all day long. I would put 6=7 hundred rounds down range a day. Only cleaned it after the season was over! Used Fed 550 pack from WallyWorld. In a nut shell this gun was orig designed as a single shot for comp use. Sales were slow and the market small. Marlin had a big investment in the barrels and receivers so they modified the receiver to accept a factory 7 shot mag (10s are avail) and made a thinner but still quality stock, I don't know if they still make this model or what changes have been do over the years. but is is a great gun. People who have them normally don't sell them. I think there was an ad on FGT for one last week for $350! Read up on the 880SQ. Might be just what you need.
    WR

Top Bottom