• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Austin01WS6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm thinking about getting a m1A socom and was just curious if any one had one and how do you like it. I'm mainly just going to be using this for plinking and it just seems like a good dependable rifle.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I don't own a Springfield M1A (I own a LRB M14SA), but friend does. He certainly enjoys it. However, to the people on either side of him as he shoots, the muzzle blast from the short bbl and muzzle brake makes it not enjoyable.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    It's my favorite rifle. Gotta love a short handy rifle that still has some serious range, but can also bash a zombie's skull in a pinch. I'm also one of the few that actually likes muzzle blast, but it's really not so bad. I like the night sights, and the trigger is actually pretty good. It'll do anything you could possibly ever ask a rifle to do. Buy one!
    numeha8e.jpg

aserudyp.jpg

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like Dazee said, the muzzle blast is huge, I liked mine, then I put it in a new chassis and now I like it more. If you're thinking about the socom II, be aware that the cluster rail occupies a bolt hole that the commonly used side mount scope rails use... So if you want the socom II, I would get the full length top rail version to maximize optics mounting options.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I also have the 18" scout, much less blast, better ballistics, easier to change muzzle device and mount optics, but it doesn't look as bad ass.

If you like the cluster rail and black stock, I have them sitting around with no home :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      179.2 KB · Views: 240
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      161.3 KB · Views: 234
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      201.5 KB · Views: 247

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You may want to look at a short M1 - garand in 308 , just order a barrel to build an other one, should be in next week. If you want to come and try out some short 308 just call I think I have one of most any thing you would want to try. Just my 100 cents jj
    Ping ////// reloading.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Here's another thing, most of us have many more guns than we actually need, and that's all good, but really, when it comes down to it, all you really "need" is a 1911, and M1A and a 12 gauge. So yes, buy a SOCOM.

Austin01WS6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I thought when I started this hobby about 4 years ago it wouldn't be as expensive as the car hobby. Now 4 years into it I keep buying more and more with no end in site. Ian shut this board down because it's like crack, and I keep coming back to find something new. Also, to me Ian, Dan, and JJ are the major dealers of this addiction.

Back on topic I was looking at the socom 16 due to the weight instead of the socom II. Do you guys not mind the extra weight of the rails? I want something that is pretty lightweight for cqc but also something that can reach on out there a fair distance.

JJ, I greatly appreciate the offer and might have to take you up on that sometime this week if that's okay.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mine is actually marked SOCOM 16 because it was one of the first built by Springfield with the Vltor rail, before the "II" moniker was applied.
    The rail is heavy though, but the cool factor outweighs the weight. Kinda like you forgive Kate Upton for having a little extra fat up top. It's kinda what makes it what it is.

However, the non-railed 16 is usually a bit cheaper. I don't actually use the rails, but I love them. If you're not a picatinny rail whore like most of us are, save your money. But if you think you'll wish you had the cool rails down the line, just go for it. Actually, while we're being rational at the moment, I agree with Ian, the scout is a better all around rifle.
    For me though, the rails are too cool.
    An analogy: The scout is the pretty and cute girl next door type. The socom 16 is the hot girl at school, and the socom II is Kate Upton. Take your pick, at the end of the day, it all feels the same and does pretty much the same thing, some are just more expensive than others and have a little more to grab on to here and there.

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have owned several M1A's, SOCOM(16"), Norinco, S.A.'s Loaded, Standard,and now have settled on a S.A.'s Scout version(18").I will own a S.A. "Match"(22") next. Great guns. Buy one and get a trigger job done if nothing else. The best bang for your buck is going to be a "Loaded" version. If you want better accuracy the "match" version is a thicker stock and its a "bedded action"by the factory,more upgrades, but heavier. If you are really serious , get the "Supermatch",its even heavier and it costs more $$ and you don't want to be dragging that through the woods,plus if you scratch it your gonna hate yourself. the wood versions are my favorite but I do own several stocks. or even better, get 2.Just talking about those guns gives me a chubby....I wonder if "Buds" is open today, maybe I will buy my "Match" today... Dammit , why did I get on this thread!

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I love GunBroker, if you're patient and shop smart (which I'm usually not, and usually don't) you can find some incredible deals.

Austin01WS6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I wanted to say thanks for all the input, but after doing some research and a lot of reading I'm going to go with a fnh scar. My new question now would be does anyone have the HANDL defense lower that accepts the magpul mags, and how do you like the lower?

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, had one, wouldn't work with the geissele trigger and sent it back, definitely a deal breaker for me.

The safety location is slightly out of spec, the geissele bound up on it making for a 12 plus pound trigger pull, it also bound up on the inside of the receiver.

Handl wanted me to send the trigger and both lowers in for an install, no thanks, I didn't want the trigger or safety modified to work with their part.

In the end I got a handful of scar mags and called it a day, fantastic gun to shoot, and as much as I like my M1As, I like the scar better.

Top Bottom