Target Sports

Asking prices on ammo not being met. Assumed Market Value not being paid.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't mean to threadjack, but can someone tell me - WHY .22LR gets hit so HARD when crap like this happens?

Ok...sure. Having 'something' is better than having nothing, but .22LR?! Yes, I understand it's potential (the Regan assassination attempt for example) to an extent, but I also understand its failure rate.

I've got a Ruger 10/22 that can chew just about everything you feed it. BUT - there are still quite a number of rounds in a "value pack" that simply fail to function.... Not the kind of reliability I want when IT hits the fan.
    Just sayin'
    Cant reload .22?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just clean the inside of the rim. Push out the firing pin dent. Mix some ground glass with lead styphnate rimfire priming compound and put in a nano drop. Spin case 10K rpm till it dries. Add you favorite powder and then heavy crimp the 5.5 bullet in place. Lube bullet externally.

And your ready to go.

The round is really hard to manufacture. Materials have cont through the roof driving costs up 10 years ago. Now the scare makes it scarce!. If manufacturing costs continue to soar it may just price itself out of favor.

Last edited:

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you really really must shoot something under 1400fps..get a pellet gun ( evil grin)

Captken

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The gunshows this past weekend should have slowed much of the panic buys. Being Georgia Arms had a butt load of ammo, it looked like anyone that needed it got it at a reasonable price. Saw a lot of canned heat walking out the door. Had a guy locally that had 9 boxes of Federal 9mm that was offered at $18 a box and agreeded to take $16 if I took all 9. With money in hand to buy, the guy at first couldn't find time to meet, then just disappeared. So I went to the gunshow and bought what I needed and he can pound sand now. He still has his ad's running.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I just took a trip to Missouri for a buddy's retirement. I hit a couple reloading stores along the way (I used to live there a few years ago). Their stock and prices were a sight for sore eyes. I didn't "clean house" but I managed to pick up some components I'm was low on. So until the local stores get more, or I find more stores I can throttle back on the amount of shooting I do....

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can tell you, that based on the ads that I have listed, and this past weekend's gun show in robertsdale, that the demand has not lessened on .22, .380, and 9MM. I know the ammo will come back, but all of these people that are rushing out and buying guns still can't find anything to feed them.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been seeing more in ammo in Mobile as well. I was against the rationing at Academy at first but it seems to be working. The bullets last much longer & fewer people seem to be stalking the stores. I think its not worth the drive to get 1 box of 5.56. so resellers are passing.

I will say that as much grief as a lot of people give big box stores they are really the only stores that kept getting ammo & guns in. They also were not jacking up prices. There was a store in mobile selling cheap summit reloads of 5.56 for $1 a round if I was going to pay that much I could buy hornady V Max.

I would not mind a $200 to $300 increase in a gun but double is ridiculous. If all these guys online would sell there ARs for 300 over purchase (At least the cheap brands) I bet alot more would be sold by now. When I see a windham Ar priced for 1500, or wolf ammo for .80 I just laugh.

I am only buying bulk 9mm when I find it at Acadmy & if I find some 5.56 for .45 to .50 a round I will get some. Luckly I have enough to last a good while.

For me Academy has been the best & I will support them even more after all this settles down.

Walmarts in mobile have not been worth a crap for ammo (had some yesterday) but I am sure if I really wanted a AR I could have gotten one from there. I do not need another.

Last edited:

Robbie2883

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yeah....i'm a little disappointed that people on this very forum are offering standard stripped lowers for $300 a pop. it'll all blow over, just like 4 years ago.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yeah....i'm a little disappointed that people on this very forum are offering standard stripped lowers for $300 a pop. it'll all blow over, just like 4 years ago.

In this market, it would be a poor business decision to sell items for less than the going rate, this has been argued and gone over several times... It's not like people NEED these things, they are wants. It will calm down and some of these items will be available again... depending on legislation some might not. You can't blame the vendors for increased prices, supplies are scarce, blame the consumers who are so desperate that they are paying the inflated prices.

Robbie2883

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    while i don't exactly agree, you're not wrong. it's the nature of capitalism for sure. supply and demand. i'm just glad to see a few shops out there that refuse to conform to the price gouging and still offer product at the same price they always have.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    My thoughts on it are this - I've got a lot of extra ammo that I bought when things were good. So, I thought ahead and tied up my money to make sure I had enough if I want to go shooting.
    I would be willing to part with some of it for the right price because I have enough to last till things calm down.
    I don't care if I sell any or not. Why would I sell it at the old price when I won't be able to buy any more for a while ?
    The people that didn't plan can still have ammo available but will pay a premium since they didn't tie up any of their money for months stocking this stuff.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As much as I do not like the price increases you are correct. There is no way I would sell my Ar for retail.

I still think some peoples margins are ridiculous which is why their guns have not sold. Seems the best way to take advantage would be to have several guns and sell them for cheaper compared to those that have one gun & try to sell it for double.

Ammo & guns are in deferent classes IMO no laws are going to be passed on ammo. Seems the ammo shortages are really just based on fear & those trying to make a profit of it. I was not into shooting as much during the last shortage & all I needed was hunting ammo. Hence I was not really affected. It has been interesting to watch the scrambling.

In this market, it would be a poor business decision to sell items for less than the going rate, this has been argued and gone over several times... It's not like people NEED these things, they are wants. It will calm down and some of these items will be available again... depending on legislation some might not. You can't blame the vendors for increased prices, supplies are scarce, blame the consumers who are so desperate that they are paying the inflated prices.

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As much as I do not like the price increases you are correct. There is no way I would sell my Ar for retail.

I still think some peoples margin are ridiculous which why their guns have not sold. Seems the best way to take advantage would be to have several guns and sell them for cheaper compared those that have one gun try to sell it for double.

It all comes down to the fact that everything is worth what someone is willing to pay. Some of us were well prepared for this and have been shooting and collecting guns and ammo for years and years, and some folks are just now joining the fray. Those who are just now joining the fray are driving the prices up and making things scarce.

Just my thoughts on the current conditions.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I guess the deal on ammo is that people need it if they want to shoot the over-priced gun they just bought. I agree that it makes no sense that the shelves are bare but we went thru the same thing a few years ago. If you can't get ammo, your new gun is just an expensive paper weight.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Prices wouldn't be where they are if people weren't paying those prices. Some sellers are shooting for the moon and aren't moving anything. The market has slowed in the past week or so but there's still plenty of demand.

When the demand plummets after whatever legislation is or isn't passed your NFA lowers will be back to $44 at JoeBob's, Spikes will be back to $115 and you'll be able to get ammo at Walmart again. Whether this happens in two months or ten months is anybody's guess.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think people are finally running out of money. I made one purchase as an impulse buy during this mess. I bought a G17. I bought it for the fact that I did not own a higher capacity handgun. It's the only type gun I did not have in the safe. I had everything else covered. So I bought one. But I didn't pay anything over what I would have paid outside of the panic either.

I just wish the panic would stop so I can take the family shooting again. We clow through about 400 rounds of handgun ammo and about 400-500 rounds of rifle ammo at the range as a family. Not an easy thing to do when the prices are crazy if you can find them. I made the mistake of getting my wife into shooting last year. Now she's the one asking when are we going shooting again.:wacko:

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wish it would get back to normal soon. I need 5,000 bullets to load for 40. Really dont want to start casting them but if this keeps up I will have to. Everything else I am good. Kidw sure shoot a lot of ammo. Worst part is I dont have any kids down here. Load and go back home to have fun.

RJ

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wish it would get back to normal soon. I need 5,000 bullets to load for 40. Really dont want to start casting them but if this keeps up I will have to. Everything else I am good. Kidw sure shoot a lot of ammo. Worst part is I dont have any kids down here. Load and go back home to have fun.

RJ

Check out: http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=9&secondary=11

They are 5 to 6 weeks behind but haven't jacked up their prices. 5000 .40 would run you right about $380 shipped to your doorstep in 5 weeks.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Panama City Gun Show. 9mm High-Point $249 Last show $115
    9-10 Feb .40 G22,23,27 $599 Last Show $499

500rd Can of Brown Bear that was $109 on the net was offered for $350 and stayed sitting. Three boxes of Fed 550 bulk 22LR @$90 a box were sitting too.

A variety of 7.69X39, box of 20 was listed for $10. One seller went down to $8 and all the rest soon followed. A lot still being packed away at shows end.

At one and a half hours till close on Sun. a two Major dealers were repricing about 1/2 his inventory with yellow stickers over price tags dropping $50-$100 off prior prices.

Private sale walkers with Several AR, AK, SKS, UZI, and a MAK 11: walking and walking for hours not a lot of takers.

All makes and models of AKs $1100 and up, ARs $1500 avail. SKS $650 AK pistols $700 and $1K. Sig CF rifles $500 above norm, RF $100 above norm.

Idoits wanting $45 for used generic 1911 mags.

Several Thermold and Pmags @$30 no selling.

Ak mags were 2 for $65 new metal or plastic.

No real rise in optics prices but did notice stocks of cheaper red dots very low and some models sold out.

Top Bottom