• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bay Ranger

Master
    Rejoice!

I stopped by the Oak Ridge Shooting Range today. That's the new indoor range near the GB Zoo. They are frantically working towards their opening. Talked to the manager, Robert. Nice friendly guy, NRA instructor and then some. The projected "soft" opening is a week from this Sat. and will have a formal grand opening sometime later. They were trying to open this Sat, however, some of their equipment deliveries were delayed.

They are going to have 5 pistol lanes and 5 lanes that can accommodate either pistol or rifle. Max target distance is 25yds. They will have rental guns, targets and ammo for sale and will have firearms for sale also. If I recall correctly, they will be open 7 days a week til 8PM.

I can't wait for the opening. We've sorely needed something like this "down south" for a long time.

DaBreeze

Master
    Did you discuss rates? Membership or solely by the hour?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HEIST

Master
    Rental guns, Interesting.. I will have to come out and try that out. Good way to find what you like without having to buy it..

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rates? Robert said that it is $13 for shooting all day - no time limit. If you come with someone else and share the lane the 2nd person is $11. I did not ask about a membership. He did say that if folks are waiting to shoot that they would limit the time (did not say how long) and then put you back into the queue to shoot again. You can do this as long as you want.

Rental guns are a definite plus. I wish that we had done this with my wife's gun. She looked and handled one at a gun shop and we bought it. Now after shooting it several times she said that she would rather have something else. BTW, Robert said that when you rent a gun you can try any of the rentals that they have. You are not limited to 1 gun. Very accommodating, in my opinion.

So far the only downside that I see is that they do not allow you to pick up your brass. He said that it is a safety issue. They don't want folks possibly reaching in front of the line for their brass or scrounging around on the floor when others are shooting very close by. This may be an issue with re-loaders. BTW, you don't have to buy their ammo. You can bring your own.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Well the rate is good for an indoor range, the brass thingy sucks, will not be taking my 6.8 there...but who cares with a 25 yard range. I never pick up my 9mm brass anyway and it gives them another profit center. Great place to burn up that non brass ammo...LOL

I guess there is not room to run drills so only so much you can do in a limited space. 5 lanes will be bad news for the busy time and weekends but then 5 lanes is better than none. shooting in A/C, that will be great, line up your sights, tune in your laser, try different loads, rent and try different guns...I like it overall! and best of all, it is not in Pensacola which will make it a shorter drive for me and close to Miles shop for gun shopping, I think he has some of the best prices in the area!

Bay Ranger

Master
    Well the rate is good for an indoor range, the brass thingy sucks, will not be taking my 6.8 there...but who cares with a 25 yard range. I never pick up my 9mm brass anyway and it gives them another profit center. Great place to burn up that non brass ammo...LOL

I guess there is not room to run drills so only so much you can do in a limited space. 5 lanes will be bad news for the busy time and weekends but then 5 lanes is better than none. shooting in A/C, that will be great, line up your sights, tune in your laser, try different loads, rent and try different guns...I like it overall! and best of all, it is not in Pensacola which will make it a shorter drive for me and close to Miles shop for gun shopping, I think he has some of the best prices in the area!

Frank, agree on the brass policy. Oh well, I guess we can't have everything, huh?

Like you, looks like I'll only be shooting my 9mm there. Don't want to be leaving any .45 on the floor.

I think that I be frequenting the establishment. I live about 15mins from it and even at $13 it's still cheaper than feeding the pickup to go way north to the range. Of course I'll still need to go there if I want to shoot the rifles.

Snow Bird

Master
    Looks like I will be over there this fall.Like some others don't like the brass thing but I have some steel rifle ammo to shot up.

Top Bottom