• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hoping you guys can help make it clear. I want to finally go turn in my paperwork for a CCW in baldwin county. I am active duty with orders here (california license). I know AL doesn't give non resident CCWs but I've been able to buy a gun since the orders give me residency. Will I be able to get a CCW here or should I apply for a Florida non resident one? I don't know who to call to ask and would be nice to try to haul over to the fairhope dmv.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You should get your CCW from your State Home of Record per your OQR or SRB. Other then that there are several states that will issue non-res CCW. I recommend you check what States recognize these Non-res CCWs. Some States give resaprosity others do not and handle non res dif from res CCWs. I'm sure you will focus on where you are going to spend most of your time.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You should get your CCW from your State Home of Record per your OQR or SRB. Other then that there are several states that will issue non-res CCW. I recommend you check what States recognize these Non-res CCWs. Some States give resaprosity others do not and handle non res dif from res CCWs. I'm sure you will focus on where you are going to spend most of your time.

Getting a CCW in California would be out of the question for me. I am kicking myself for not getting a FL drivers license while I was stationed there. I still show FL on my pay stub and says my residency is FL and don't file a tax return for FL but I still have my CA drivers license. I will look into a FL non resident CCW.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is the application for Baldwin Co. http://sheriffofbaldwin.com/files/BCCPistolPermitApplic.pdf

I would call the Civil Division below and ask. The ladies in that office have always been easy to deal with for me. I'm pretty sure you have to go to the Sheriff's office in Bay Minette in person. DMV has nothing to do with pistol permits.

The issuance of Pistol Licenses is also handled by the Civil Division. Please see the related link for a Pistol Licenses application. We ask you to note only cash or check is received at this time for payment of the application. Pistol Permits are $30 per person, per year and are renewed annually. Senior Citizens age 65 or older receive their Pistol Permit for $20 per person, per year. At this time, the Baldwin County Sheriff's Office is not mailing out "Reminders" of pistol permit renewal. Your pistol permit is to be renewed yearly. If you have further questions, please contact our Office @ 251-937-0200.
    http://sheriffofbaldwin.com/page.asp?pageID=184&categoryID=2

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Getting a CCW in California would be out of the question for me. I am kicking myself for not getting a FL drivers license while I was stationed there. I still show FL on my pay stub and says my residency is FL and don't file a tax return for FL but I still have my CA drivers license. I will look into a FL non resident CCW.

There is no state income tax or tax return in FL.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info I must have skipped over the phone number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I understand not wanting to stay with CA. I have been stationed there several times and the last time they were implementing "registration". During my time you could only change your home of record at time of re-enlistment or promotion for officers. I'm not sure how it works now. FL Permits are handled by the Fl Dept of Agricultural. Here is the site for info: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/index.html

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I'm working to see if I can get an AL drivers license. That would solve most of my problems.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I'm working to see if I can get an AL drivers license. That would solve most of my problems.

I called today and they said that whatever drivers license I have is where I can get my permit at. I contacted the Florida DMV and I am able to get a Florida drivers license still with my Daphne address as long as I surrender my CA license so I'll have to look at FL for my CCW. Thanks for the phone number would have never found it without your help.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    :thumb:

Good luck with the process. If it matters, Alabama takes 10 minutes vs. Florida's sometimee 90 days. The longest delay in the Alabama process is waiting on the laminated card to cool off enough to pick it up.

Last edited:

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    :thumb:

Good luck with the process. If it matters, Alabama takes 10 minutes vs. Florida's sometimee 90 days. The longest delay in the Alabama process is waiting on the laminated card to cool off enough to pick it up.

I would prefer AL. I am going to go to the DMV and see if I can get an AL license which I think I can since my Jeep is AL tagged. Would be nice to get a new license anyway...anytime I show my license it has the picture when I am 15 and then I get the whole " I can't believe that's you in that picture" talk.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just remember the other side of the coin is State Taxes and DLs, vehicle registrations all add up to full time, part time residency for a military spouse and may apply to you too. If you file joint FED you must also file joint state returns (exp from my mil years).

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm going to try to find someone experienced that can sit down and go over some things with me. My Jeep has AL plates on it and I thought I could still get an AL drivers license but still keeping my Florida residency for W2/tax reasons. FL DMV said I could get a drivers license but I need to provide proof of residency which I only have outdated bills but my most recent W2 shows FL as my state of residency and I don't know if I am supposed to bring proof of residency for my AL address since I know several FL residents in my shop who have AL addresses on their license. I might try to talk to a live person tomorrow because I'd hate to spend the time/money to drive to Pensacola for nothing. Overall I just want to have the option to conceal when camping/offroading in my Jeep. It still looks like the FL non resident option might be the best bet for me.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Al will be the easiest, if you are breathing they let you have one. FL no State income tax, but registration, tax and other taxes are higher than hell! is AL really that much in taxes??

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Al will be the easiest, if you are breathing they let you have one. FL no State income tax, but registration, tax and other taxes are higher than hell! is AL really that much in taxes??

I still get to register my Jeep in AL so it's only $25 a year and then FL doesn't do state taxes.

I'm going to see if I can get an AL license and keep the FL residency. I'm thinking beyond being stationed in AL and having FL as my residency/ccw permit is just the easiest. I filled out the FL non resident ccw permit and had the fingerprint card mailed to me just in case since it is a wait.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ryan.. Sounds like the same problem I have. I live full time in a RV. I am a SD resident for tax reasons and mail forwarding. Problem is I have spent most of my time in GA--5 years since retirement. Also have spent alot of time in TX Al and IA. To get SD ccw I have to live in the county my adress is and that is at Rapid City . Have to have a street address and not a post office box and being a GI town you know what rent is like. I am thinking of getting my GA drivers licence untill I get my permit . I think I can keep the RV licence in SD. Sure wish they had a permit that was good in all states have ccw. For you I don't see why they don't already do that for MIL personal. If it's that easy to get in AL I might just wait untill I am back over there in the fall and get it then.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Prob 1. You dont want to be in Viol of the Tri-State law with DL, Reg and Ins in Dif states.
    2. IF you are Active Duty Your Home of record IS you Perm Residency as far as the Gov is concerned and you will just have to work with it. FED Gov don't care about your DL, CCW or Reg. It only cares about your Fed taxes. STATES on the other hand care about all the rest plus State, County, City and other local taxes.
    If your Home of record State has Income tax those deductions are being done too.
    FL Law Allows FL Res (Without a CCW) have a loaded firearm in a vehicle as long as it is inside a compartment or snapped in a holster. Res can also be armed while engaged in recreational activities, hiking, fishing, hunting (other rules apply also) boating. Please review the regulations to ensure proper compliance before "packing".

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FL Law Allows FL Res (Without a CCW) have a loaded firearm in a vehicle as long as it is inside a compartment or snapped in a holster. Res can also be armed while engaged in recreational activities, hiking, fishing, hunting (other rules apply also) boating. Please review the regulations to ensure proper compliance before "packing".

All well and good until one crosses the state line. Current Alabama law does not allow a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a permit. He needs to get a permit to carry from some state, any reciprocal state.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wild rider my insurance and registration is AL so I'm not violating anything. John is right for my case with the cars. The process is just a little confusing for me and I'm glad I was able to get the help that I needed. I do plan on continuing to review the laws before carrying along with taking more classes while I wait for the permit and I finally decided to switch from Springfield to a g27 so I need a lot more range time. Thanks for the help guys!

Latest posts

Top Bottom