Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/greeley.htm

Executive Mansion,
    Washington, August 22, 1862.

Hon. Horace Greeley:
    Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours,
    A. Lincoln.

Last edited:

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "More problematic were Lincoln’s views on race. He held opinions not very different from those of the majority of his racist countrymen. Even if slavery was wrong, “there is a physical difference between the white and black races that will for ever forbid the two races from living together on terms of social and political equality.” His solution was a form of ethnic cleansing: shipping blacks off to Liberia, or Haiti, or Central America — anywhere as long as it wasn’t the United States."

https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/10/abraham-lincoln-racist/

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is the same on what Lincoln said, just longer.

That is taking it out of context and using it as a stand alone statement. Its not a "longer version of the same thing" when it includes conflicting facts to the small portion people want to pick and choose to push an agenda.

In the paragraph, Lincoln makes it clear his single objective is to save and restore the Union as it was before hostilities. He makes two comments about eliminating slavery, two comments about allowing slavery and one that would allow slavery in some areas and not in others. Further, he says of these things that he wants to do the least to create further upset and do the most to support the Cause (restoring the Union).

Probably a speed reading over sight. People don't like when anti gun folks attempt to reinterpret what the 2A says or means. We should treat all history the same way. IMHO.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Well...
    1496b328f9c99b926d61fc255547febf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is taking it out of context and using it as a stand alone statement. Its not a "longer version of the same thing" when it includes conflicting facts to the small portion people want to pick and choose to push an agenda.

In the paragraph, Lincoln makes it clear his single objective is to save and restore the Union as it was before hostilities. He makes two comments about eliminating slavery, two comments about allowing slavery and one that would allow slavery in some areas and not in others. Further, he says of these things that he wants to do the least to create further upset and do the most to support the Cause (restoring the Union).

Probably a speed reading over sight. People don't like when anti gun folks attempt to reinterpret what the 2A says or means. We should treat all history the same way. IMHO.

There is such a thing as missing by "speedreading," and there is such a thing as missing what is plainly said by overlooking something because of wanting to focus on something else.

Nobody disputed that Lincoln wanted to "save the Union." Hold your horses, cowboy, that is not tbe question.

Lincoln stated plainly "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it." That means plainly that he did not engage in war to free the slaves. By his own admission he'd have left them slaves if that would have "saved the Union."

That statement is not some aberration among Lincoln's statements and acts, either.

His Emancipation Proclamation could, had he wanted it to, have freed the slaves in the Union, which were the only states he was President of at the time. It did not. He specifically had it leave slaves in the Union still slaves. He "freed," by his own choice, only those slaves he had no power to free. (Yes, of course this was because his stated motive was to save the Union, and that over-rided freeing the slaves he had the power to immediately free.)

We can also look at other quotes of his such as "I will say that I am not, nor have I ever been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races," and his expressed desires and acts towards sending black people back to Africa.

The fact is, Lincoln did not make war for the benefit of the slaves, nor did he believe them equal to whites, nor did he think they should have the same rights. He wanted the Federal government, or himself (we cannot say which) to have power over the Southern states again, whether the slaves were free or remained slave. Secondary issue that, which by his own testimony he'd have gone either way on if need be. Driving issue, returning to all states under same Federal control.

That's what the entirety of what he said and did says.
    Control and domination of blacks and whites!

Nothing new under the sun...

Last edited:

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Pet missing?

Attachments

• pests missing.png
      pests missing.png
      137.5 KB · Views: 200
    Top Bottom