Thread: Taurus PT111 G2 Review / Thoughts

45 ACP

Taurus PT111 G2 Review / Thoughts

Well, a friend of mine picked up a new Pt111 G2 from Academy yesterday. (paid 329 plus tax)
    This is supposed to be a new and improved version to replace the older PT line. The gun came with several nice features; thumb & trigger safety, round loaded indicator, super easy break down and 2 12 Rd Mags.
    I know there are several Taurus haters so I figured I'd share the results....very surprising...
    There were 3 of us which in return we took 3 pistols; M&P compact 9mm, Xd compact 3.8 barrel 9mm and the Pt111. We were all shooting 115gr Winchester Target Ammo and ran exactly 75rds out of each gun. (taking turns with each pistol we shot 25rds each out of each firearm) We shot paper targets at 15 yards free standing. I also must add that myself and one other guy are comparable shooters while the 3rd is prior law enformance and military - he has an advantage. (his gun was the M&P)
    These are a few facts noted in our test if you will:
    1.No failures out of the guns except the M&P (both failure to load)
    2.Recoil was also noted worse with the M&P, after 25rds - I was ready to change guns...
    3.Patterns at 15yrds were close very tight and comparable between the XD and Taurus
    (Tauras laid down a better pattern by the "professional" than he did with his own gun he has had for 1.5yrs)
    4.M&P accuracy was not to be desired at 15yards
    5.The trigger on the Tauras , well all I can say is Wow...very Glock like...Very Crisp and Clean.
    6.Out of us 3, 2 says they like the Trigger the best out of the 3 guns. (with the Xd mine, I voted Xd, lol)
    7.The M&P trigger, well sucks- it has a hinge they is a pain if you hold a pistol high on the grip.
    All and all it was a fun day-
    However, the odd thing to Add...after shooting the owner of the M&P listed and sold his pistol on Armslist. He called me while at Academy to inform me he was buying the new PT111 G2. I just laughed!!
    But- now I'm sitting here thinking about it and Hell, I want one too!!! It shot great, felt great, and was fun to use.
    Thoughts or comments?

Great to hear... I love the way the g2 feels in hand, We sell alot of them @ the shop I work at. The pt111 g2 will be my next 9.
    TRAMPLE THE WEAK...HURDLE THE DEAD

12 GA
    Read some good things so I picked one up for $349 at Uber's the other day. I wasn't going to beat her up over $20 bucks seeing how Acadamey surely gets a volume discount and they kept me supplied with primers and powder during the craziness.

Took it out to the range today and I'm pretty dang impressed. It ate everything I fed it and shoots soft for a compact. I would say it's equal to my wife's Walther PPS in how it handles. I actually like it a little better because it fills my hands a little more and feels more secure. I like how they include a pinky extender on the stock mags which gives a perfect 3 finger grip for me. 12+1 and conceals just as easily as the PPS. I figured with a lifetime warranty why not give them a try at that price.

Not crazy about a safety for a carry gun but I will just leave it off. The trigger is great especially for a "cheap" polymer pistol. Is has a longish but very light pull and then a crisp clean break with a much shorter reset similar to a Glock. One interesting feature is that is has a second strike capability in the form of a heavier da pull. Accuracy was about what one expect for this type of gun and once again was on par with the PPS. It does have adjustable sights but I need to spend more time with it before I monkey around with them.

So far so good. I will probably add this to the carry rotation. It's more comfortable and concealable than a g19 while only giving up 3 rounds. If you like the way a PPS or XDs carries and handles but wish it had more round capacity this is worth checking out imo. It carries just a easily as the PPS for me and I don't notice the extra width.
    Last edited by Fletch; 01-17-2014 at 08:29 PM.

45 ACP
    Yep, good gun.
    I sold mine, missed it, bought another....300-500rds later zero issues.

I will venture to say that Taurus has a winner with this one. I would love to test drive the PT140 G2 if I can find one. Rumors are that a PT145 G2 is in the making.

And to the Taurus haters: Keep hating, it helps keep prices down for us Tauri fans.