• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firedawg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just wondering what loads you use, and how it performs for you?

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to... Now I use 460 Rowland instead.

10mm Auto is fine. Use "full power" ammo from Buffalo Bore, Underwood Ammo, or Double-Tap. I prefer the heavy hard cast lead bullets for shooting hogs from a pistol. I actually have quite a bit of good 10mm hunting ammo available for sale in this thread:

http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?3945-10mm-Auto-Ammo-for-sale

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You mean like this one. Yep sure do. I shoot exclusively the 200gr WFNGC from Double Tap. It will completely penetrate even the biggest hogs you will find in these parts.

I use the Viridan daylight visable green laser for targeting. And my Glock 20 has a OEM 6" bbl installed. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00717.jpg
      DSC00717.jpg
      289.6 KB · Views: 226

brasshog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was going to hunt hogs with my 10mm but could only find a very few boxes of mild stuff locally and ended up selling it. Gander mountain has some of the weeker ammo in stock usually but a poor selection. I didn't want to load for this caliber. Now I hunt them with my 45-70 BFR. It looks like the one below. I almost feel bad for the little piglets..almost... :smile:
    dsc00859.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Attachments

• dsc00859.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
      dsc00859.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
      147.5 KB · Views: 185
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you ever get in the middle of a bunch of hogs you just might throw that 5 shooter in Escambia River and get a 16 shooter with manageable recoil.

FOR ME ....... a single action 5 shooter would be about as useful as a spear. ....... ?????? ...... no,wait,LESS useful.
    ADDED: I hunted hogs quite a while in the river swamps using a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I ran out of ammo on two different ocassions when we "thought" that WE had THEM surrounded and cutoff from escape. WRONG !!
    Then I switched to a 8+1 shot Desert Eagle. Better but not great.(shot a big ol' boar hog with that gun at 5 feet laying on the ground,but that's another story)
    Then Glock 20 ---> mo bedda !! ---SAWMAN

Last edited:

brasshog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have been over run with hogs before too sawman. The 10mm with full power loads is a great round for dispatching anything up close but I have seen a sow take three rounds of 2 3/4" 00Buck before she dropped for good. I have hunted hogs with everything from a 13 shot 12ga (still have it) to a 44mag redhawk. I try not to be in the middle of them anymore lol but rather on the outside of them shooting in. Perhaps a 10mm six inch 1911 on a para-ordinance frame would be the ticket since I'm not a Glock fan. I'm not knocking the 10mm or a high capacity weapon for hogs. I simply don't have one atm but would definitely use one if I did. I simply have a BFR that I load for and shoot quit often. Recoil is manageable and accuracy out to 125 yards is great. Here is my suggested ammo for you. Underwood 200gr XTP https://www.underwoodammo.com/10mm-auto-200-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point/

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have been using the Double Tap brand of ammo for some years now. It is a 200gr hardcast (WFNGC) that comes out a standard bbl length Glock 20 at 1300fps and produces 750fpe.(my Glock 20 has a 6" bbl) This bullet has a huge meplate and cuts a hole that does not seal up vs parting the skin and slipping thru.

I tried to get the above velocity with 4 different powders and could not. DT must use some magic shit to attain the velocities. I actually chrono'ed this load coming out of my 6" bbl at 1322fps.

Hunting the river swamps my shots are never >35yds. Most are <15yds. The bright green laser(true daylight)is great in that the pistol does not need to come up to eye level before the shot. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 122_2267-228x228.JPG
      122_2267-228x228.JPG
      11 KB · Views: 157
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I really do not understand the question. It shoots any load that is loadbook hot and a little beyond I suspect. The ol' wives tale about shooting lead thru a glock bbl is BS with the use of a little common sense. The 6" OEM bbl still has an "unsupported" chamber for reliability. Brass is still reloadable.

There is a little less upward whip due to the extra weight out front. The recoil is fast and not really a push. Closest thing that I can equate it to is a full sized Coonan Arms 357Mag shooting full power loads.

All in all,I do believe that the 6" factory("hunting bbl") will handle anything that the standard bbl would handle. NEVER any problems with mine. All my Glock bbls have been F&B'ed. Chamber,feed ramp,underside of bbl hood all have been polished to look like chrome.

Notice that the rear of the trigger guard has been undercut(by me). This allows me to get a somewhat higher grip on the weapon and puts the line of bore closer to the top of hand. Helps to control recoil. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

RGriff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That answers a lot actually. Have you ran BB through the Glock with that setup? I'm interested to know what the brass looks like afterwards. I like to roll my own and am undecided between a lone wolf or KKM aftermarket barrel or the glock for more reliability.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO --> no aftermarket bbl will get you the reliability(both feed and extract ... w/ a F&B)that you will get with ANY OEM Glock bbl.

I do not reload for my 10mm. It was of those guns that shot extremely well with my practice load(Blaser 200gr)and my hunting load(DT 200gr WFNGC)that I did not tool up to reload. Some years ago when I found out how well there loads shot I invested some money into buying a lifetime's worth of both ..... so ..... now I am set.

BUT .... if I reloaded for the/my 10mm I would have an aftermarket bbl with a better supported chamber. The Blaser is shitcanned but the DT is saved for it's trade value. It can be reloaded more easily with carbide dies,however the brass is overworked (IMO)and it will not last for the number of reloading cycles as brass from a supported chamber would/will. This info is what I am hearing from a couple of buddies that have been reloading for the 10mm for 15 years or so.

Sooooooo .... I guess you gotta ask yourself what the complete reliability of the OEM bbl will do for you. FOR ME,facing a 200+lb pissed off boar hog at 20ft in the river swamp that considers me a rival for that hot sow,it is the confidence in knowing that my pistol will feed and extract EVERY TIME. The only time my gun goes to the range is a couple of times per year to reconfirm the sights and laser and trigger time.

ALSO ---> I would recommend that every Glock owner do a $.25 Trigger Job and install a reduced power connector,no matter what their Glock is used for. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: I have never shot Buffalo Bore ammo in my gun.

Last edited:

RGriff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Always a wealth of knowledge Sawman. Thanks a lot.

Op, I carry a 10mm for hog defense. I like the DT 200gr hard cast and the BB 220gr. The BB have a pretty good amount of recoil though IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom