• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Of course I do. Do you actually have an accurate count on your team's football championships?
    I just couldn't tell if you actually liked football or if it was just another anti-amabala thing for you.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just couldn't tell if you actually liked football or if it was just another anti-amabala thing for you.

I love football. I'll watch just about any game that's on TV. Got a number on that accurate count yet? For the record, I'm definitely NOT anti-amabala. I was born and raised there and almost all of my family still lives there.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love football. I'll watch just about any game that's on TV. Got a number on that accurate count yet? For the record, I'm definitely NOT anti-amabala. I was born and raised there and almost all of my family still lives there.
    Well I'm pretty sure the six won under Saban in the last ten years are undisputed and probably total more than whoever it is you pull for but don't talk about.

I'm sorry I didn't realize you liked Alabama. I guess I mistook all of your previous posts that were negative in other threads the wrong way. Especially the purposeful misspellings.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I'm pretty sure the six won under Saban in the last ten years are undisputed and probably total more than whoever it is you pull for but don't talk about.

I'm sorry I didn't realize you liked Alabama. I guess I mistook all of your previous posts that were negative in other threads the wrong way. Especially the purposeful misspellings.

Six isn't seventeen. The spelling, as I've explained here before, is simply to point out how backwards the state is. The negativity you've probably seen in other posts was usually directed toward a person or people in the state that perpetuate the stereotype. The state could do better.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Six isn't seventeen. The spelling, as I've explained here before, is simply to point out how backwards the state is. The negativity you've probably seen in other posts was usually directed toward a person or people in the state that perpetuate the stereotype. The state could do better.
    Well I believe, there are 4-5 which are debateable. So that leaves 12-13 "real" ones. Let me know if that number isn't high enough to garner respect.

Last edited:

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I believe, there are 4-5 which are debateable. So that leaves 12-13 "real" ones. Let me know if that number isn't high enough to garner respect.

Nobody is debating respect. The 4-5 being debatable is actually 5 that are just false. They weren't even awarded until years after those seasons were played. In one situation, 1941, bammer finished 3rd in the conference, yet claims a national title. That sort of thing is what kills the respect factor.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nobody is debating respect. The 4-5 being debatable is actually 5 that are just false. They weren't even awarded until years after those seasons were played. In one situation, 1941, bammer finished 3rd in the conference, yet claims a national title. That sort of thing is what kills the respect factor.
    Ok...so the count would be 12. Got it.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i found this which is interesting to me:

Until 1982, Alabama claimed only one national championship prior to the tenure of Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant. After his retirement, Alabama sports information director Wayne Atcheson added four claimed championships to the team's official program notes.

The NCAA does not itself recognize official national champions, but does provide a partial listing of various organizations' selections of a champion, often noting several teams in the same year. In addition to the 15 claimed by the Alabama program, the Official NCAA Football Records Book has cited 5 additional championship years for which a case could be made for Alabama to hold the title: 1945, 1962, 1966, 1975 and 1977. The NCAA recognizes only 12 times since 1900, however, that Alabama was a "national poll champion" going into their bowl game.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Who cares how many? The only one that counts is the next one!

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    If nobody cared you wouldn't see all those red t-shirts from WalMart that have 16 on them.

Ive seen the shirts, never paid any attention to the number. Doesnt matter to me. Probably matters to some, but the fact is, who cares except maybe you? Not me. And i don't own one of those shirts.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Classic re-write of history. Alabama has as great football program- and has had a great program for decades . They should not try to falsify history.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive seen the shirts, never paid any attention to the number. Doesnt matter to me. Probably matters to some, but the fact is, who cares except maybe you? Not me. And i don't own one of those shirts.

Lots of people care. If they're so great why can't they just tell the truth? And no I don't own one. If I did I'd probably just use it as an oil rag.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Lots of people care. If they're so great why can't they just tell the truth? And no I don't own one. If I did I'd probably just use it as an oil rag.

Red, i don't have a beef with you. Im just wondering why youre so adamant about the number. Like I said, I've never thought about it till now, and still dont care. If I was so concerned I would call the University of Alabam and ask them why. They may have a rational, verifiable answer, maybe not, but at least you can go the the source and ask them to explain. You could even send them your Snopes, or NCAA, or whatever info you have. Maybe youll be the one to make them change it. Best of luck.
    By the way, which college team do you call your favorite? Just curious.

Here's some info. I havent verified it and its an older article, but kinda makes sense.

For all of the NCAA’s shortcomings, perhaps the one that is the most bizarre is the organization’s refusal to play a role in determining the champion for FBS (formerly Division 1-A) schools. Instead, it allowed mathematical formulas, media outlets, coaches polls and computers pick its champions before the current playoff era.

And before the BCS era, choosing a champion was complete chaos. For example, one of Alabama’s “disputed” titles came in 1934. The NCAA recognizes Minnesota as the champion. Eight mathematical formulas crowned the Golden Gophers as champions, but another five favored Alabama.

The NCAA has retroactively chosen “consensus” champions from 1950 through the start of the BCS era, but that’s done little to clear up the debate raging in media guides and message boards across the country.

The fact is, based on the methods of the years in question (more on that in a minute), Alabama has a legitimate case for each of the 15 titles it claims.

One thing is certain. A Clemson win on Monday night will be the school’s second national title. The Tigers won their only crown in 1981.

Let’s break down the years in question:

UNDISPUTED TITLES

2012 — Defeated Notre Dame 42-14 to win a BCS Championship, and all BCS titles were undisputed.
    2011 — Defeated LSU 21-0 to win a BCS Championship.
    2009 — Defeated Texas 37-21 to win the school’s first BCS title.
    1992 — Finished 13-0, pasting Miami 34-13 in the Sugar Bowl. Only the Sagarin Ratings had another team, Florida State (11-1), as national champion.
    1979 — Completed a 12-0 season with a 24-9 win over Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl. Only the College Football Researchers Association crowned Southern Cal (11-0-1) as its champion.
    1961 — Completed an 11-0 season with a 10-3 win over Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl. The Crimson Tide was named champion by every entity except for the Football Writers Association of America and the Polling Service, which favored 8-0-1 Ohio State.
    1925 — Knocked off Washington 20-19 in the Rose Bowl to complete a perfect 10-0 season. Nine of the 12 entities selecting champions awarded the title to Alabama. Dartmouth (8-0) and Michigan (7-1) account for the other three.

DISPUTED TITLES

1978 — Finished 11-1 after a 14-7 win over Penn State in the Sugar Bowl. A whopping 24 entities picked a national champion that year, and seven chose Alabama. Eight of them chose 11-1 Oklahoma and nine picked 12-1 Southern Cal. The NCAA recognizes Alabama and USC as co-champions.
    1973 — Fell to Notre Dame 24-23 in the Sugar Bowl to complete an 11-1 season. Alabama won the title awarded by United Press International and the coaches’ poll, which announced its winner before the bowls. That changed the following season. Notre Dame (11-0) is the NCAA’s recognized champion, but Michigan, Ohio State and Oklahoma were all awarded titles by various entities.
    1965 — Defeated Nebraska 39-28 in the Orange Bowl to complete a 9-1-1 season. Four entities awarded the national title to Alabama, but another 12 favored 10-1 Michigan State. The NCAA recognizes them as co-champions.
    1964 — Lost to Texas 24-17 in the Orange Bowl to complete a 10-1 season. Four entities, including both major media polls, awarded the national title to Alabama, but did the final vote before the bowl games. That changed after this incident. Arkansas (11-0) and Notre Dame (9-1) are recognized as champions by the NCAA along with Alabama. Michigan (9-1) was one entity’s choice as champion as well.
    1941 — Defeated Texas A&M 29-21 in the Cotton Bowl to complete a 9-2 season. The Houlgate System chose the Tide as its champion. The NCAA recognizes Minnesota (8-0) as the champion, as did 11 entities that season. Texas (8-1-1) was the choice of two other organizations.
    1934 — Defeated Stanford 29-13 in the Rose Bowl to complete a 10-0 season. Five entities awarded the national title to Alabama, but another eight favored 8-0 Minnesota. The NCAA recognizes Minnesota as champion.
    1930 — Defeated Washington State 24-0 in the Rose Bowl to complete a 10-0 season. Four entities awarded the national title to Alabama, but another eight favored 10-0 Notre Dame. The NCAA recognizes the Irish as champion.
    1926 — Tied Stanford 7-7 in the Rose Bowl to complete a 9-0-1 season. Six entities awarded the national title to Alabama, but another four favored 10-0-1 Stanford. To add to the confusion, Navy (9-0-1), Michigan (7-1) and Lafayette (9-0) can also claim titles.

Last edited:

bluedog46

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am out of state. Any chance someone can get me one or so and send them to me?

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jerry, everything you posted is true as far as I know. My rub is that some of those titles were awarded years AFTER the season was over, and some of them by entities that didn't even exist when the games were played. bama didn't claim about five of them until the early 80's.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    When there was no organized championship process or committee, I saw where there were entities that routinely chimed in on the champion(s) for that year. That in effect created a system that didn't exist at the time, and later the NCAA awarded shared championships for some of those years. Would it be fair to leave those years out? If they were shared it seems like the real contenders were adequately recognized. The UofA would be in deep trouble if they claimed titles that didn't belong to them or were not sanctioned. Those may be blurred titles awarded retroactively, but possibly appropriately recognized.
    Thats all i have. Sorry you disagree.
    You didn't answer my question though. What team do you like the most, favorite, or alma mater?
    I'm was a Sanford Bulldog. Although, I have never attended a game and don't have the shirt.

Top Bottom