• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I like Jimmy's too but it's basically just a gun store, not a complete outdoors store like say a Bass Pro, Dick's, Cabela's, Academy or Field and Stream.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree, while I did move to the Crestview area I am OUT of town, but still have to use their stores, there is much lacking here that could really put the town ON the Map. No Home depot, Academy, new Walmart,lack of night spots, nice restaurants, even fewer fast food places.

But but but... we have a Tractor Supply! :tongue:

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wise man taught me relationships buy you volume, not price...price is set by the market and perceived value of the product. The perception is in the eye of the beholder and in many ways, guns are a sort of commodity...you may be attracted to the brand or model but if the store is charging $650.00 for a gun you can go down the street and buy for $575.00, that business model just isn't going to work for very long.

Gander picked up on the WalMart model of changing the packaging to give you less product in a box that looks like the old product for similar dollars...for example, hypothetically, Rem UMC 9mm comes in a 250 round box for say $70.00 and Gander would have the same ammo, in the same size or similar size box, but a 200 round count for maybe 65.00-70.00 (this example is my perception/description, not something I wrote down at the time)...Once I figured that game out, no need to shop there anymore. During the ammo crunch, they were the first ones to have ammo again and that is why imho. Soured me fast...firearms were expensive too so it was a nice place to window shop, but with internet sales and other, more competitive stores, no need to buy there.

One thing I will or have paid for is availability. I have a tendency to "lock in" on as particular gun/caliber/set of options so if a dealer had what I was looking for or could get it reasonably fast and cost effective, I can and have paid a little more for it...not going to moan about $20 on a $650 purchase...but if I have to hunt it down on the internet, I will pay the lowest price I can. I don't think my buying habits are abnormal so a store like Gander, to be successful, needs to figure that out. When they went BIG, they should have been very price competitive...the opposite happened and they sat on a bunch of inventory that was not turning and the cost of capital ate them alive! A good businessman should have seen/recognized that and changed their model before bankruptcy...but maybe they were too far gone and made too many promises to the Board of Directors to pivot.

Time will tell...it always does. BTW, anyone else tired of buying ground beef in packages that are exactly 1#?? For the youngsters, a "#" is not hashtag, but rather a pound sign. When making chili, sloppy joes or other meals I used to like buying 1.5# packages...we can thank WalMart and our country's attempts to hide the rapid inflation in food prices for that!

Hopefully Gander will figure this thing out...one can not have too many outdoor stores....Too Many is never enough in my book!

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    As much as I know they’ll fail again, for all the same reasons, today I do wish they were open. I need a G17 magazine, Academy’s are “in the truck” thigh website shows in stock, and has for a couple of days. I don’t want to go to Mikes or Jays, I don’t do business with TGD, and Jim’s is too far of a drive for just a magazine.
    I’ll probably just mail order, but my point is that today, I would’ve bought at Gander.
    Ugh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hey Dan,don't forget that I have a 10 shot for cheap. But I can't sell that to anyone that doesn't have 9247 posts. --- SAWMAN

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Hey Dan,don't forget that I have a 10 shot for cheap. But I can't sell that to anyone that doesn't have 9247 posts. --- SAWMAN
    Well played Sir! That’s funny!
    Academy did have G19 mags, but I WANT a 17, and it needs to be brand new.

Ubers? Never heard of it. I don’t hang out in Brownsville much.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Absolutely refuse to go to TGD? They had G17 mags for sure last time I was in.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Outdoors store to reopen in Pensacola "Gander Outdoors"

Well, since I knew exactly what I wanted to buy, and didn’t expect to need any help, time or attention from the staff in any way, I reluctantly went to Mikes. However, while there, I found out that there is such a thing as gen5 mags. I stared at the two options for 5 minutes, walked around seeing if anyone would talk to me about them, and with no success, I decided to just purchase the gen4 mag since I know it’ll work just fine in my PCC. $35 later, problem solved.

Last edited:

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    That’s nice, but since this is a family forum, I won’t tell you where I believe said magazines should be placed.

Gotta be a story with that one :)

IIRC the Gen 5 mags are backwards compatible, they just have the orange follower. Could be wrong though.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Well played Sir! That’s funny!
    Academy did have G19 mags, but I WANT a 17, and it needs to be brand new.

Ubers? Never heard of it. I don’t hang out in Brownsville much.

ubers is on Fairfield, south side, about halfway from mobile hwy towards Lillian hwy, set back under big oaks...technically almost myrtle grove.. little white bldg

Top Bottom