Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Outdoors store to reopen in Pensacola
    by Auriette Lindsey
    Thursday, January 4th 2018

Outdoors store to reopen in Pensacola

PENSACOLA, Fla.
    — A Pensacola sporting goods store that closed in 2017 will reopen in the spring under new ownership.
    Camping World Holdings bought the Gander Mountain chain and its watersports brand Overton's in May.

Soon after, liquidators discounted merchandise and sold fixtures at the Pensacola store.

At the time of the buyout, Camping World CEO Marcus Lemonis told the Wall Street Journal he was committed to keeping as many stores open as possible.

Now, he's keeping his promise.
    On January 3, the company released a list of 69 locations they planned to reopen. The next day, a press release specified that the Pensacola store would reopen as "Gander Outdoors" in mid-May to late June.
    They plan to hire up to 70 people to work in the store, selling hunting and fishing gear, camping supplies, and marine accessories.
    Camping World is building a large family of outdoor suppliers. In the past nine months, the company also acquired TheHouse.com and W82 (formerly Windward Boardshop), both specializing in snowboards, skateboards, and other equipment. They also bought outdoor apparel retailers Uncle Dan's and Erehwon Mountain Outfitter.
    Gander Mountain opened the 42,000 square foot store on Airport Boulevard in Pensacola in 2014, as part of a major expansion in the Southeast.
    The chain filed for bankruptcy in March, 2017.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Hopefully they’ve learned something since then. If not, they will be closing soon too.
    Stupid prices don’t go over well in this area.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I liked to browse their large selection of firearms, but the prices were outta sight. I did use them a lot for buying .22 ammo online and have free shipping to the store during the shortage.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    The new CEO of Gander Mountain, Marcus Lemonis, is also the CEO of Camping World who said that he didn't want people that agree with Trump to shop at his business.

#suckamulesazzmarcus

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hopefully they’ve learned something since then. If not, they will be closing soon too.
    Stupid prices don’t go over well in this area.

Yes I find this highly amusing... They will not make it.

I also can't believe they are building a Dick's in Pace... I guess they really think there is enough shoppers in our area but Amazon does not I think the deal of a disp center fell through. Amazon requires more population...

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We need an Academy in Crestview also a second Walmart or in a different location!

I also think an Academy would do great in Crestview. This area lacks any sort of outdoor store like that! I would think one like an Academy would do great! I can't stand having to drive to Pensacola if I need or want something to buy that I want to look at or try in my hands first.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It appears from the news here they will reopen the store here too. It is nice to paw thing there and go buy them where they are affordable.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Again you guys get another outdoors store back while we still wait for one in Fort Walton Beach.

The local tourism consortium ensures that Destin gets first choice on anything. If they don't get what they want, they'll petition the commissioners they own, or sue because of the negative impact on their tourism conglomerate.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also think an Academy would do great in Crestview. This area lacks any sort of outdoor store like that! I would think one like an Academy would do great! I can't stand having to drive to Pensacola if I need or want something to buy that I want to look at or try in my hands first.

While I agree, two things will ensure it never happens: SR85 and City Bubba network. In about the past decade they have driven away the Hyundai plant that is now up near Montgomery, an amusement/wildlife park, and UPS, that I can think of....

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the store will do well. When it was still Gander Mountain, that location did really well. The big box stores cater to the uninformed and the first time buyers more so than any of us on here. Then again, with their CEO spouting off like mentioned previously and with the current gun market, only time will tell. I've heard they're going to be more competitive with their pricing. One should hope so because if they aren't, they'll be bankrupt again in a couple of years.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    While I agree, two things will ensure it never happens: SR85 and City Bubba network. In about the past decade they have driven away the Hyundai plant that is now up near Montgomery, an amusement/wildlife park, and UPS, that I can think of....

I agree, while I did move to the Crestview area I am OUT of town, but still have to use their stores, there is much lacking here that could really put the town ON the Map. No Home depot, Academy, new Walmart,lack of night spots, nice restaurants, even fewer fast food places.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dicks is going in Destin next to bells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, that's NOT in Fort Walton Beach so we're stuck driving to Destin in bumper to bumper traffic both ways, pure bullshit why we can't get an outdoor store in FWB. We have Lowe's, Walmart, Sam's Club, Home Depot etc. but not a single Outdoors/Hunting store.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Again, that's NOT in Fort Walton Beach so we're stuck driving to Destin in bumper to bumper traffic both ways, pure bullshit why we can't get an outdoor store in FWB. We have Lowe's, Walmart, Sam's Club, Home Depot etc. but not a single Outdoors/Hunting store.

You got this one

Call Us Today (850) 244-5184

Jimmy's Gun And Pawn Shop
    Blue label for GLOCK
    22 SE Eglin Parkway Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548
    (850) 244-5184
    |22 SE Eglin Parkway Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548
    www.jimmysgunandpawn.com

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You got this one

Call Us Today (850) 244-5184

Jimmy's Gun And Pawn Shop
    Blue label for GLOCK
    22 SE Eglin Parkway Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548
    (850) 244-5184
    |22 SE Eglin Parkway Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548
    www.jimmysgunandpawn.com

I really love that store, I think I've been there twice where I didn't buy a firearm(counting once where I went to pull out cash to make an offer). I understand they don't have fishing gear but aside from that, all you're missing out on is underarmour clothes and yeti coolers.

Members online

Top Bottom