Target Sports

Department Stores Increasing/Enhancing CCW Detection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garerir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this recently (during Christmas)?

While doing my Christmas shopping, I noticed I had apparently set off bells/tones in the doorways of several department stores both ENTERING & EXITING these businesses:

Belks - Mobile, AL
    Field & Stream - Mobile, AL
    Walmart - Foley, AL
    Belks - Huntsville, AL
    Krogers - S. Huntsville, AL
    A couple others I can remember right off the top of my head.

I truly expected to be "approached" by a security person upon setting these tones off upon entering these businesses but no one approached me. I am sure security cams were probably watching if this is a "new" detection tool.

I was surprised upon exiting Field & Stream (with a box a primers), Krogers (with groceries), & Walmart (groceries) but cashiers waved me on as I exited except for Walmart who came up and inspected my bags. The only item the lady thought was the culprit was a small package of Loctite but was "amazed" when she walked it back through the doorway.

My CCW is generally a G-17 & an extra mag. I'm curious if its any weapon (size/oz) or may be just full size weapons.

Next will be the movie theaters or any other "gun free" zone who will harass us supporters of the 2nd Amendment. Ugh

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'd be willing to bet that those alarms you set off were not due to your CCW, but due to the stores' loss prevention security systems.

garerir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hope you're right but the curious thing was my wife had entered Belks several steps in front of me & didn't set the bells off. I definitely will be paying attention for future entries & exits to see if it's just me or everyone. Thx.

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    a tightly coiled wire can set them off. The store I worked in rented rug machines, they were notorious for setting off the system. We played around with it one night and we came to the conclusion it was the chord on the side being wrapped tightly

Some certain "skins' were also bad about setting them off, not sure why. I fully expected my current wallet to set some off since it has RFID blocking tech in it.

Just a few other things it could have been as well.

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Every time I walk into my bank I wait for an alarm to go off, if they don't have them their then I doubt they have them anywhere else, besides x-ray machines I don't know of a gun detection device.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    IDK, but I still pull off a magnetic (alert) tab from an item and stick it on my gf or drop one into a purse or the jacket pocket of an unsuspecting shopper. It's fun to watch when the person gets accosted by an employee when they're trying to leave the store. Eventually they'll use the hand-held device to find the item, usually they do that at Homie Depot. :evil:

pcolapaddler

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IDK, but I still pull off a magnetic (alert) tab from an item and stick it on my gf or drop one into a purse or the jacket pocket of an unsuspecting shopper. It's fun to watch when the person gets accosted by an employee when they're trying to leave the store. Eventually they'll use the hand-held device to find the item, usually they do that at Homie Depot. :evil:
    Evil...

Sent from my Frankenphone using Tapatalk

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    That happened to me one day last year, went to several stores like lowes, academy, walmart etc.. set off bells and such at all of them.... later that night turns out the jacket/coat/hoodie or whatever my son was wearing had a security thing attached under the collar.... funny thing was the coat was purchased months before and we had never noticed or set off alarms before then...... went back to Kohls or sears and had it removed.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'd be willing to bet that those alarms you set off were not due to your CCW, but due to the stores' loss prevention security systems.

Yes most likely the sensormatic system. I use to have to work on and install when I was employed with NCR as a Field Eng. Pretty common for all stores to have this system installed. Most products that are high thief have some sort of tag built in. Your cell phone can also set this off. It's not your gun no way.

https://www.sensormatic.com/products/detection-systems/

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ken - - -> BULLSHIT !!
    When you walk into a store the detector senses that you are carrying a weapon. This detector sends a signal to the stores security camera. This camera takes multiple pictures of you . . . including closeups.
    These images are run through the stores facial recognition computer and stored on their hard drive. When the store gets a specific request from the NRA,the store sends them all your personal identification info.
    That is why and how you get all that correspondence from the NRA.
    You gotta think "high tech" Ken. --- SAWMAN

garerir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went to the same Walmart in Foley, AL and went through entry & exit doors today. No bell tones...no nothing.

Only difference between this occurrence and the others was I wasn't carrying an extra mag. i dunno.

Maybe y'all think I'm crazy but, I've been carrying concealed for years & these stores I entered/exited during Christmas holidays were the FIRST time this ever happened to me.

I'm not going to worry about it cuz it's not going to do any good. I carry concealed to protect my family & myself and I'm not changing. It is what it is.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A "real" firearm detection system in a Vegas Hotel. Since I have a CWP and a expection of concealment privacy, I find this intrusive and a breech of my privacy and personal security. There is also the possibiity of discrimination by refusing Service to persons exercising their 2A Rights.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/gun-detection-system-being-tested-at-the-westgate/880161049

I don't find it intrusive. I will just choose not to ever do business with a company who is that controlling. Pretty simple...

Last edited:

garerir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agree. Especially, if there are no "on duty" armed security in close proximity. In lieu of our 2nd Amendment...I've heard that this is a violation of law when they post their "gun free" zone signs but don't have armed security present at these businesses, also.

My main purpose with this thread was to see if anyone else had an same experience as I had during the Christmas season this past year and give our forum members a "heads up" if it happens to them.

You are the first who has had a similar experience...but, I personally believe you won't be the last.

I agree with one of the earlier replies saying, "just don't do business where those systems are in place" but, as time goes on, that maybe easier said than done.

Thanks for your response.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't find it intrusive. I will just choose not to ever do business with a company who is that controlling. Pretty simple...

How will you know if a business has a firearms detection system in order to avoid them? Some locals have required signage for firearms prohibited property but these are so new, there is no legal guidance.

Scanning for guns on the street.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/18/nypd-gun-detection-device_n_1213813.html

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/nypd-gun-scanners-could-replace-stop-frisks_n_2544687.html

TSA scanning general public (non airport).
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/tsa-may-scan-you-as-you-walk-by/ar-BBGYM4a

Top Bottom