• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The point is that Glock lost the military contract in part due to a refusal to accommodate the safety requirement.

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I stand corrected as to the reason Glock wasn't chosen if this guy is to be believed;that is the 19X is the same pistol as submitted to the MHS trials EXCEPT they deleted the required manual safety in the commercial version.

[video]https://youtu.be/kULW0nSNQbU[/video]

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You got a lemon. Mine came with three safeties.

Yes designed very well and they just work. I own alot of them and will buy more!

External integrated trigger safety and two automatic internal safeties: a firing pin safety, and a drop safety.

https://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action

You would have to be a complete incompetent idiot to have a glock go off by accident and I have heard stories. LOL

Last edited:

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow, I disagree with the bashing on safeties. First, with respect to Glock's, other things can get into the trigger guard besides your finger. We had a video of the LEO at a gunshop who had his drawstring of his issued jacket get into the trigger guard resulting in a AD when he went to reholster. Apparently, he is not the only one to have a similar AD as a result of a foreign object getting into the trigger guard.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...rawstring-triggers-glock-negligent-discharge/

Here is a video -of another incident he never even touched the gun at the time of discharge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJMQupYxaw

There have been situations with a thumb snaps getting in the trigger guard during a reholster, AD.

Safeties on handguns simply require a bit of additional training

Also safety are also useful in a situation where the bad guy takes your gun from you during a struggle. There are many reports from the 80s and 90s when officers carried Beretta's and 3rd Gen Smith Auto's of bad guys disarming the LEO but not knowing how to take off the safety. As a result, the LEO was not shot by his own weapon.

Last edited:

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You would have to be a complete incompetent idiot to have a glock go off by accident and I have heard stories. LOL

I disagree. I have four Glocks. I like them and I carry them and compete with them, but and AD requires only a moment of inattention, this is especially true with striker fired pistols with their relatively short trigger travel and relatively light trigger pull.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I stand corrected as to the reason Glock wasn't chosen if this guy is to be believed;that is the 19X is the same pistol as submitted to the MHS trials EXCEPT they deleted the required manual safety in the commercial version.

[video]https://youtu.be/kULW0nSNQbU[/video]

Glock has added a thumb safety for contracts before so I doubt they'd pass on one as large as the armies because "perfection".

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From the picture of the 19x with a safety, it seems to be well designed. Some frame mounted safeties are just too small to reliably swipe off - for example the Ruger Sr9 safety was too small for me. Similar complaint with the M&P shield and the FN FNS 9. It looks like glock may have gotten its frame safety right.

On a slightly different note - when is Glock going to make a 9mm carbine similar to the Beretta Storm? It would sell far better than the GEN 5 or the 19x or any other rebranding of the same handgun.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    On a slightly different note - when is Glock going to make a 9mm carbine similar to the Beretta Storm? It would sell far better than the GEN 5 or the 19x or any other rebranding of the same handgun.

Now you have my attention. I would love to see a glock carbine in 9mm and .45 I would own them both. I have the HK MP5 and UMP but a Glock version would be kool. :)

As for the safety... Nope not needed I like the glock just like it is out of the box. The only thing I change is add a threaded barrel to suppress it.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    From the picture of the 19x with a safety, it seems to be well designed. Some frame mounted safeties are just too small to reliably swipe off - for example the Ruger Sr9 safety was too small for me. Similar complaint with the M&P shield and the FN FNS 9. It looks like glock may have gotten its frame safety right.
    I agree. I like a good thumb safety, but I’d rather have no manual safety, than an unusable one.
    Never! Why? Because Glock isn’t about making things people want, because “perfection” and all that nonsense.
    Plus, Kel-Tec already makes one.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did read a post from a policeman located in the Houston area that was for it. It had something to with the holsters that he had and also grip size iirc. He uses an RMR on all of his glocks so there is no advantage to a longer barrel/slide and iron sights. Yes you can put adaptors on a G17 magazine and use it in a G19. I like there being many choices offered by glock and do not see a huge downside to it.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I like the g17 slide with frame cut to g19 size. Balances well, still provides a full grip, Easier to conceal. I have one that I carry and currently have a second in the shop

ewgannaway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Like so many others here, I think Glock got the ratios wrong. This elicits a very unenthusiastic yawn from me. This would be better as a G17 slide on a G19 grip frame. If Glock truly wanted to introduce a new-to-the-US market product, they should find a way to import the Glock 25 and 28. I know they can't be brought in due to not making enough points to satisfy the BATFE but the engineers at Glock are a resourceful bunch...

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/atf-form-4590-factoring-criteria-weapons/download

DBCDave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like the concept and plan on getting one. A g-17 slide on a g-19 frame is a goofy idea all out of balance.

ewgannaway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I like the g17 slide with frame cut to g19 size. Balances well, still provides a full grip, Easier to conceal. I have one that I carry and currently have a second in the shop

Did you cut the frame yourself or have it done? I have put extended length barrels in the compact framed Glock pistols with good results and great feel. I think having the slide extended to the end of the barrel would make it even better.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I had it done. Thought about doing it myself. But for the price they wanted. If I messed it up I couldnt replace the frame for the same price

Top Bottom