• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys I have a friend who purchased a S&W 642 new. She is having problems pulling the trigger because of arthritic hands.

She can not rack a semi auto and on my advice picked up the 642.

My question is do they make a softer trigger spring and if so who around here installs them.

The lady carries this a lot and has put a few hundred rounds thru it at a range but has problems just pulling the trigger. I had hoped the trigger pull would have softened up some after some use but it hasn't.

Anyone have any idea of a carry firearm that may be easier for her to shoot. She tried my wife's little 380 but can't chamber a round without problems. She has had a little better success with a firearm that she can pull the hammer back with her thumb but because she carries often she likes the concealed hammer feature.

Any helps appreciated.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apex Tactical makes a spring kit that will reduce the pull weight by 3lbs or so.
    The rebound spring can be a little tricky to install,but it is doable. Midway sells them.
    I have put two of these kits into my 642's. Makes the weapon much easier to control the pull through. --- SAWMAN

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you Sawman that may help her . Anyone do these trigger installs locally?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Pensacola Lock & Gun on Garden St. Ask for Rick.
    Not sure if he will do this. Could be liability issues. Best to give them a call. --- SAWMAN

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a spring kit laying around some place, If you want to come and wait I will put it in while you are here are bring her and will let her shoot it here to see if will help. It is a bullseye kit. not such of the cost at this. call for more infor. Also got some other things that may work for here. 850-572-6611 jj

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you Oneshot I will talk to her then get hold of you.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Walther PK380 - super easy to chamber but may need assistance with field stripping
    Ruger LCR - very light trigger pull

The 642 is a good gun IMO. First thing I noticed was the trigger pull. Not so much the initial weight but at the end of trigger travel it lightens up as the cylinder rotates into alignment. Hard to describe. I call it the Roller Coaster trigger.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Because of the mechanics of the parts and how they move together,it is EXTREMELY difficult to get most any double action trigger to have a completely consistent pull through. Although I have heard from a good source that Jerry Micleuk's triggers does have a constant pull through . . . somehow.
    IMO . . if a trigger does seem to "stage" during the pull through you can definately practice to overcome it and get good accuracy with the weapon. This takes tons of practice,concentrated pulls.
    Please remember - -> we are talking combat revo's at combat ranges. Can you hit COM on a life size target at 7yds ?? Remembering . . . as long as you control your weapon horizontally you can be not quite as accurate vertically. Picture a man with a button type shirt on. Put your hits anywhere between the 5th button down and the throat. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Remember also . . . the somewhat heavy pull through of these revo's makes them safer for pocket carry. But if you do choose to pocket carry, in holster or not,do not carry anything else in the same pocket. NOTHING !!

Last edited:

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In talking to her more the problem seems to be her arthritic hand has problem pulling the trigger on the 642 completely . She can do it but it takes a lot for her. She has tried a number of different semi automatics but after trying about 20 different ones can not successfully chamber a round.

Her husband and her travel a lot and she's also alone at times in different camp areas and she feels more comfortable carrying. She uses both a clip holster and a romora sticky waistband pocket holster. I think if we can get over to see JJ he may just be able to help her out.

Top Bottom