• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I dunno; but sounds too me like that part hasn't changed for the better for him and his.

And what's the differences from a positive for leukemia and not being able to afford treatment, and not being able to afford the test in the first place?

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, the mandate was repealed, so he can drop any insurance he had. But if something big happens, and the possibility is real, somebody is going to pay for it. I don't think the hospital and doctors are going to work for free. They'll take a massive loss on it, and then they'll bill it back to people who actually have and pay for insurance, through $8 aspirin fees and the like, thus raising insurance rates for the people that actually pay for insurance.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Right, but they'll bill him and if he can't pay, bankruptcy.
    but from his perspective who cares? With or without the ACA, or mandate, he wasn't covered and now his wife isn't. So for the last, what, 6 years? he's been looking at that as a reality.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Right, but they'll bill him and if he can't pay, bankruptcy.
    but from his perspective who cares? With or without the ACA, or mandate, he wasn't covered and now his wife isn't. So for the last, what, 6 years? he's been looking at that as a reality.

I think you're conflating Mark and 3 men. Mark at least WANTS to have insurance. Rick Scott is stickin it to the libs though.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In any event, we've come full circle. We're in a thread started to praise Trump for what a great job he's done but this, the repeal of ACA, was his number one campaign promise, over and over.

Its the biggest broken campaign promise in political history.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Please forgive me, but Ive never understood this theory. Are you able to pay out of pocket for pancreatic cancer treatment, open heart surgery, or a kidney transplant?

Instead of a $500-1000 per month premium, if I just stick that money into an account, I might. I act as my own insurance company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I think you're conflating Mark and 3 men. Mark at least WANTS to have insurance. Rick Scott is stickin it to the libs though.

Sure was,
    See suddenly this thread makes more sense.

In all fairness, the republicans in the house and senate are as much(or more) to blame for being unable to make that happen. If I were a democrat, I'd be optimistic for what that means for the next election.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In all fairness, the republicans in the house and senate are as much(or more) to blame for being unable to make that happen.

Well they sure didn't have near as much trouble getting the tax cuts for their rich donors though. Priorities, ya know.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Whether you need Medicade or not is your decision. I know I would rather have that than nothing. And what insurance did you have before you lost it?

Blue Cross and the only way we qualify for medi-cade is to sell pretty much everything we own. Then we must prove we have spent all the money we made from the sale of our property and don’t have any stashed away.
    I refuse to go that route of giving up all that we have been able to accumulate in the almost 30 years we’ve been together
    FYI- I probably could have sued a couple of companies for some of my injuries but the bark turning loose on the log I sat on and dumping me on my head messing up disc’s in my neck was just an accident
    Too many lawsuit happy folks out there already

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Instead of a $500-1000 per month premium, if I just stick that money into an account, I might. I act as my own insurance company.

According to the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), the first-year billed charges for a kidney transplant are more than $262,000.

Following your transplant, you will need several drugs, called immunosuppresives, to sustain your transplanted kidney and/or pancreas. The immunosuppressive or anti-rejection medications may include Cellcept, Prograf and Prednisone. The following are estimates and depend on the dosage and pharmacy used. Note that most health plans pay a percentage of medication costs.

Cellcept: Total monthly cost is approximately $1064
    Prograf: Total monthly cost is approximately $1,340
    Prednisone: Total monthly cost is approximately $12
    Myfortic: Total monthly cost is approximately $806

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    According to the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), the first-year billed charges for a kidney transplant are more than $262,000.

Following your transplant, you will need several drugs, called immunosuppresives, to sustain your transplanted kidney and/or pancreas. The immunosuppressive or anti-rejection medications may include Cellcept, Prograf and Prednisone. The following are estimates and depend on the dosage and pharmacy used. Note that most health plans pay a percentage of medication costs.

Cellcept: Total monthly cost is approximately $1064
    Prograf: Total monthly cost is approximately $1,340
    Prednisone: Total monthly cost is approximately $12
    Myfortic: Total monthly cost is approximately $806

Insurance probably won't cover it 100% either. So I'll still be responsible for $20-50,000 all the while having paid $6-12,000 per year in premiums. Or I can make payments to the hospital after the fact. Either way I made payments.
    The problem is most procedures and hospital stays shouldn't cost what they do. Mandating insurance was a bandaid fix.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Insurance probably won't cover it 100% either. So I'll still be responsible for $20-50,000 all the while having paid $6-12,000 per year in premiums. Or I can make payments to the hospital after the fact. Either way I made payments.
    The problem is most procedures and hospital stays shouldn't cost what they do. Mandating insurance was a bandaid fix.

Well any heath insurance plan I've ever seen has a yearly catastrophic cap. My girlfriend's is $3,000 this year, new benefits company next year will make it $5,000. But thats through employer, so I dont know what the ACA plans have.

Agree that the underlying problem is healthcare cost (cost of insurance is only reflective of this). I posted a couple articles upthread discussing this. We also, for having the highest costs in any developed country, have some of the worst outcomes.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If everybody would just stop getting sick we would not have a health care crisis. Jeez people just stay healthy.

Oh and by the way let me remind y'all that according to the CDC the third leading cause of death in this country is ADMITTED mistakes by health care providers. so the most dangerous thing you can do as a civilian is to walk into a doctor's office. Coincidentally, it is also one of the most expensive things you can do either. "Who knew?"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/cary-a-presant-md/medical-errors-are-the-th_b_11117808.html

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is soooo true. You should never take going under the knife lightly. Mistakes are made routinely and always remember what they call the person who finishes last in medical school in their class...that would be "Doctor".

Also, my pragmatic side coming through; we do not die healthy and die we will. Many medical conditions like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease and cancer have much more to do with genetics than eating too many eggs....we learn more about ourselves all the time, but more is not necessarily correct. Someone said the polar icecaps would be melted by now and half the world went bonkers...but i digress...sort of. When politicians stop burning our money, stop trying to protect us from ourselves, and get back to the business of enforcing objective law, protecting personal property, protecting us from threats foreign and domestic, and properly administering the commerce clause the faster things will get better...wait a minute! That is what Trump is doing or attempting to do!

If you want medical costs to fall, just allow interstate commerce (Commerce clause), tort reform to dismiss frivolous law suits (like loser pays) and some deregulation/streamlining of the process of going to the doctor. Insurance is for unexpected, catastrophic issues...for some reason, health care became something much different. Get sick, go to the clinic and go home. Should be $20 and about 20 minutes...not the pile of paperwork and hurry up and wait BS that we currently have to go through to get some antibiotics or strong cough medicine.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One last thing...my theory on why prescription medicine is so expensive...check where the millionaire law makers make their investments...my money is on pharmaceutical companies. I'd also be willing to wager a significant amount of money that our 'ruling class' owns a bunch of stock in Amazon. Many years ago, I remember hearing a statistic that most post offices (buildings and/or property) was owned by politicians. I was never able to research that, but I do know early in the country's history there was competition from a private organization for the business of moving mail...and the govt quickly passed legislation that mail must be govt (no private competition) hence why we not see Fed Ex or UPS delivering mail.

What product would you be willing to buy from the government of your own free will? You might say police, fire and/or military...but have you ever seen the free market provide these services? I haven't but I know commercial aircraft crash less than military aircraft (non-enemy action).

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One last thing...my theory on why prescription medicine is so expensive...check where the millionaire law makers make their investments...my money is on pharmaceutical companies. I'd also be willing to wager a significant amount of money that our 'ruling class' owns a bunch of stock in Amazon. Many years ago, I remember hearing a statistic that most post offices (buildings and/or property) was owned by politicians. I was never able to research that, but I do know early in the country's history there was competition from a private organization for the business of moving mail...and the govt quickly passed legislation that mail must be govt (no private competition) hence why we not see Fed Ex or UPS delivering mail.

What product would you be willing to buy from the government of your own free will? You might say police, fire and/or military...but have you ever seen the free market provide these services? I haven't but I know commercial aircraft crash less than military aircraft (non-enemy action).

The military flies completely different flight profiles than commercial air. When is the last time you saw Delta coming in at 500 KIAS and 200' AGL pushing pallets out the back door? Or landing a CV-22 on a helicopter carrier steaming at 20 knots off of the coast of Japan? Or tanking F-15 E's at night over Afghanistan? To assert such an unequal comparison shows an alarming lack of knowledge about the military, in my opinion.

Moreover, here's an example of the "free market military" in action: Four Blackwater guards sentenced in Iraq shootings of 31 unarmed civilians . Of course, Erik Prince currently lives out of the country these days. Yet the fact that he is Betsy DeVos's brother, is just icing on the cake, and allows him to continue to pitch similarly militarily unsound ideas.

To your bigger point however, its a well known fact that big corporations such as pharmaceuticals, telecoms, and oil & gas, all make huge contribution to political campaigns to buy politicians (on both sides of the aisle) who will vote the way they want on issues such as preventing regulation and taxation from interfering with their massive profits. With the Citizens United ruling, now these corporations are able to make UNLIMITED cash donations, and even conceal where the money actually comes from. That's the truth about our political system. There is nothing mysterious or inexplicable about it.

5 times Republicans admitted they work for rich donors

GOP’s big donors threaten to close wallets if tax reform isn’t passed

Top Bottom