• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishnfool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really made an effort to purchase goods from local folks this year but I guess I’ll go back to chain stores. Picked up a gun case for my son yesterday at a local place. Turned out my son couldn’t use it so I tried to take it back less than 12 hours later. I was then informed that they only give store credit(I have no interest in anything they had).I went out of my normal way to do this and passed several chain stores on the way. I paid a little more but thought I had done the right thing, only to get snubbed. A chain store would have taken it back. No big deal, the small store on Garden St. is now off of my list for purchases. I’ll use the case for a reminder........since I can’t use it either.

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Too bad it turned out that way. I prefer to stay somewhat local, but also work hard enough for my money that I'll go with whoever offers the best value for my hard-earned money.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think that "Store Credit" is BS. It should be well posted at the entrance and at the cash registers. I had a return at wally world first of the year, and they tried to give me store credit. Oh no, I paid cash, I want cash back. Must have been a new person, bc I had to get a manager to tell her to give me cash back. But if you use a credit card, they'll re-credit the card. No harm, no foul.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Where is there a gun store on Cervantes?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yeah I try not to do much getting out of the vehicle through there...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If your talking Jay's,I have never tried to take back anything from there. However the store credit thing kinda surprises me. Especially if you had the receipt, all the hang tags were still on it,and it was obviously new and unused.
    Now Mike's will take back about anything,however they will closely scrutinize it for "as it left the store". --- SAWMAN

fishnfool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It wasn’t even twelve HOURS later is what bugged me. I took it home, found out it wasn’t enough case for him to use and took it back the next morning. Didn’t matter. Had I known that was their policy I might have gone elsewhere to start. It’s okay though. I won’t be back and if I have my way neither will any of my friends or family. Heck, the reviews on the web really aren’t stellar either so hopefully their doors will close soon. I got better treatment at Dicks Sporting Goods in the mall and saved money on the case he could use. I hate chain stores but oh well, I tried.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I mean that's not really uncommon policy for most small businesses...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I most always try to buy local,especially from the small shops also. A place like Walmart will get my buisness dead last.
    Just before is Academy,Dick's,Bass Pro,and the like. BTW . . . . have y'all hear'ed that Bass Pro has bought out Cabela's ??
    I will always give the smaller local gunshops a chance for my buisness. Mike's,Jay's,Ubers,Jim's,and USA Performance,will all usually get a chance. If they can't (or wont) give me a somewhat better deal,considering taxes and shipping,I take a look on line.
    But lately seems that the dealers like Midway,Brownell's,Cheaper Than Dirt,Sportsmans Guide,etc,etc,are trying to make "above and beyond" money off of what they charge for shipping. The real abuser of this is (IMO) Cabela's. This,to the point that I do no buisness with them whatsoever. And I have had their credit card for 20+ years.
    I am lucky in that I have the time to shop around. I do not hesitate to tell the local dealers (respectfully) that I can get it cheaper elsewhere and ask if they will match the price. There is one gun shop in town that will automatically give me a 10% discount. Hey . . . anything helps. I always make it a point of thanking the manager. --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In the past I've tried to keep my money local , but now days I buy where ever I can get the best price. It seems that customer service is another thing that has fell by the wayside in this new and improved society we live in.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yup, Bass Pro and Cabellas. Bass Pro is like the Borg: resistance is futile! No more "fair" sales at Cabellas. Hell, we will probably never see a free shipping coupon again. Slowly eliminate all of the competition and you can charge whatever you want. Follow the model West Marine has established.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Yup, Bass Pro and Cabellas. Bass Pro is like the Borg: resistance is futile! No more "fair" sales at Cabellas. Hell, we will probably never see a free shipping coupon again. Slowly eliminate all of the competition and you can charge whatever you want. Follow the model West Marine has established.

Yep, West Marine......only game in town. I owned boats for many years and watched as each boating/marine type store got swallowed up or closed up till only one was left.....West Marine. Ever see a sales flyer in the paper from West Marine? Nope, and you never will. I also try to buy my shooting supplys locally when I can.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Yup. I don’t go shop at Jays, I’ve posted about it before.
    However, I have had their Smith, Phil do some good work for me. Took longer than quoted and wasn’t cheap, but good work.
    Nowadays, I mail stuff off to be worked on if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ndAmendmentShooting

Master
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In the past I've tried to keep my money local , but now days I buy where ever I can get the best price. It seems that customer service is another thing that has fell by the wayside in this new and improved society we live in.

Good service price quality choose 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom