• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Soooooooo . . . lemme get this streight. I buy a new gun from you. It has a factory defect or something breaks soon after purchase. YOU will fix the gun for me . . . FREE . . . RIGHT ?? --- SAWMAN

2ndAmendmentShooting

Master
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Soooooooo . . . lemme get this streight. I buy a new gun from you. It has a factory defect or something breaks soon after purchase. YOU will fix the gun for me . . . FREE . . . RIGHT ?? --- SAWMAN

If it is something we feel comfortable fixing we can try. If it is above our skill set we will gladly facilitate arrangements and shipping to the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishnfool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good service price quality choose 2

Used to be that you didn’t have to choose. I guess I’ll be using a chain store USA, or Mike’s since it’s close by. I mostly fish anyway but dabble in the firearms too. It’s a great combination to take what little money I have left after having three hotrods too.......

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like they say, "You go into a store by chance or choice, but you only return by choice". Screw me once and we're done.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    2A . . . understood. I will always give the "little guy" his chance at a sale to me. I'm sure that I would have been over to see you more than twice if you were closer.
    I will even pay another $20 or so to the smaller shops over the Wal-Mart's and Academy's of out areas. I just do not want to feel like they are the leader of the band that I MUST be a player in. ---- SAWMAN

Hopin4aboat

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As I've said before I wouldn't buy the dust off the fans at Jay's they charge way too much and the employees are assholes. Mikes/Scott's on the other hand has gone above and beyond for me 3 of the last 4 buys. They're always my first stop then performance then the chain stores academy tops those. In fact I just bought my wife a shotgun for Christmas and they were by far the best price and honored a price their new salesman gave me that was bad info and it cost them though their price was still better than anywhere around for the gun I was looking for before the misquote.

fishnfool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m glad a few others have had a less than favorable experience there too. With that reputation along with some of the on-line reviews I’m surprised that they’ve kept the doors open this long. I guess my money and time will stay on the north side of town.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One significant business principle I have learned over the years... relationships buy you volume, not price. The market will determine price but a good relationship can earn a business first/last look. For those that buy at the high price outlets, it is usually because of lack of knowledge or some barrier(real or imagined) that prevents a person from pursuing the low cost alternative.

It would be wise for a business to know and understand this...why else is Wal Mart so successful? I hate shopping there, but in my area, they have consistently low prices.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yup. I don’t go shop at Jays, I’ve posted about it before.
    However, I have had their Smith, Phil do some good work for me. Took longer than quoted and wasn’t cheap, but good work.
    Nowadays, I mail stuff off to be worked on if need be.

I recommend the gun smith at Oak Ridge. His name is Eric and he did the bullet guide and cut a notch into the safety for my Saiga. His prices were amazing and he did fine work with great communication and he really took the time to understand me as a customer. He only charges 50 an hour / 25 half hour of labor.

But yeah, he will have my future business if I ever need the need for a gun smith and I can't do it myself.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I recommend the gun smith at Oak Ridge. His name is Eric and he did the bullet guide and cut a notch into the safety for my Saiga. His prices were amazing and he did fine work with great communication and he really took the time to understand me as a customer. He only charges 50 an hour / 25 half hour of labor.

But yeah, he will have my future business if I ever need the need for a gun smith and I can't do it myself.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Sweet! Thanks for the info.

Wait. Eric? Long hair? If so, that used to be my neighbor. Small world.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    As I've said before I wouldn't buy the dust off the fans at Jay's they charge way too much and the employees are assholes. Mikes/Scott's on the other hand has gone above and beyond for me 3 of the last 4 buys. They're always my first stop then performance then the chain stores academy tops those. In fact I just bought my wife a shotgun for Christmas and they were by far the best price and honored a price their new salesman gave me that was bad info and it cost them though their price was still better than anywhere around for the gun I was looking for before the misquote.

I've dealt with Jay off and on for many many years, have no complaints.

I dealt with Mike Scott one time, many many years ago. Mike Scott is a liar.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    One thing I don't like about the small local shops is they don't vet much turnover on inventory. Their gun they have may not be the latest & greatest model and you really have to be knowledgeable on what you are buying. One example was my 3rd gen KSG. Some local shops had 1st and 2nd gen and were selling them for more than what i bought my 3rd gen for. Nice to not pay sales tax also.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Some of these local shops don’t realize that the ONLY thing they have to offer over the internet giants is service.
    I’m not gonna mention any names but there’s a shop in the area that is pretty much open when they want to be open.
    They don’t follow their posted hours.
    They have 2 guns that I am serious about buying or I WAS serious about buying.
    I went out of my way last week to run out there at lunch. Closed.
    Tonight I was driving by about 5:15 and they had a big neon “OPEN” sign on.
    I turned around and went back. Went up to the door and it was locked. People were in there. One guy looked at me and went about his business. I got in my truck and left.
    If you want to just do business on the internet that’s fine but don’t pretend to have a storefront.
    The 10 Benjamin’s I’ve been carrying around to buy those guns are going back in the bank. I’m done with that “store”.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Lemme guess . . . . . PFC out by the IP Mill ??
    Same thing has happened to me with them. After the last time . . I will not be stopping in again.
    BTW - - -> if I feel a buisness,especially a firearms associated buisness,gives me good service,I will gladly tell my fellow forum members. Same with a company that gives me good service or has a good product. Same with someone that I have had dealings with that that gave shitty service,had a shitty product,or any other bad expierance that I had with them.
    I will try to be subjective,state only the facts from first hand expierance,and allow the forum members to make up their own mind as weather they want to do buisness with the company/store or not.
    This,realizeing that your experience could be much different than mine. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I like to buy local, too, but except for Uber's I've about given up around here. Employees in Jay's (Pensacola) have pizzed me off for the last time. My last gun purchase (and I mean the last/final one) was handled by a nice fellow until it came to the paperwork, then it was turned over to some smart azz kid who was rude beyond words. Once the paperwork was finished there was no "thanks for your purchase," or come again," the kid actually ended the transaction with "you are now free to leave."

I went into Mike's (first and last time) looking for .22 ammo during the shortage. They had some, but the cashier said that giving my name & address was required to make the purchase...no thanks.

Regarding gunsmiths, +1 for Eric at Oak Ridge range/shop...Great guy! He helped me with an issue one time and didn't want a dime. I also like Rick Rankin at Pensacola Lock & Gun.

I buy my parts/supplies mostly from Midway & Brownells, and my guns on GunBroker, Bud's and/or GrabAGun.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I like to buy local, too, but except for Uber's I've about given up around here. Employees in Jay's (Pensacola) have pizzed me off for the last time. My last gun purchase (and I mean the last/final one) was handled by a nice fellow until it came to the paperwork, then it was turned over to some smart azz kid who was rude beyond words. Once the paperwork was finished there was no "thanks for your purchase," or come again," the kid actually ended the transaction with "you are now free to leave."

I went into Mike's (first and last time) looking for .22 ammo during the shortage. They had some, but the cashier said that giving my name & address was required to make the purchase...no thanks.

Regarding gunsmiths, +1 for Eric at Oak Ridge range/shop...Great guy! He helped me with an issue one time and didn't want a dime. I also like Rick Rankin at Pensacola Lock & Gun.

I buy my parts/supplies mostly from Midway & Brownells, and my guns on GunBroker, Bud's and/or GrabAGun.

the day they ask me for name and address to sell me ammo, it will be the last day I darken their door..
    two of my most expensive handguns have come from mikes, florida quit doing this many years ago, but I noticed
    at Walmart now, when checking out with ammo, they ask for birthday, month, year..

I have grey in my beard, and a bald spot on the back of my head, really?

make up a dang date

Latest posts

Top Bottom