Target Sports

Interesting, A 45-70 Based Semi-Automatic Rifle....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Watched the vid. This is what I don't quite understand. - - ->
    They keep referring to the 45-70 as a high pressure cartridge. But no matter what you do to the rim the internals of the brass stay the same. Specifically the case web.
    There will be quite a bit of bolt thrust with the rim turned off. Actually the same however it will be spread over a smaller area. I would also be quite surprised if you could load the ammo up to Ruger #1 pressure levels.
    Wondering if the energy's produced will be out ahead of the 45Raptor.
    And if they have a 45Raptor made off a 460S&W Mag brass . . . why not a 50Raptor made off a 500S&W Mag brass ?? --- SAWMAN

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Saw, I believe they were talking about the round they made rather than the original .45-70 pressures. It uses custom turned cases I believe. They stated that it would hit Ruger-only pressures at the loads they designed for; hence I believed they meant their round would equal Ruger-only .45-70 load pressures in the case they have developed.

I know my hand loading in the '80's for a C. Sharps carbine in .45-70 pushed it hard, close to .458 mag velocities with 300 grain bullets....and the kick showed it. More than a few rounds of them and that steel crescent butt plate left perfect bruise impressions of itself in my shoulder!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If they are making their own cases and NOT modifying 45'-70Govt brass that would explain the stated obtainable pressures.
    Did not hear or see in the vid the size of the cases. I believe that they will use a 308Win bolt face though.
    Should be far above the 450Bushmaster,50Beowulf,458SOCOM,and the .499LW in terminal energy. Also somewhat above the 45Raptor.
    Interested in hearing more about this new chambering. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Yeah,I have a Ruger #1 that has been rechambered to 45-90 Express. If loaded "properly" it will come fairly close to a 458 Win Mag. Shooting hardcast 440's I would not hesitate to take on the bigger bear.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Re-reading the info in the link provided,looks like/sounds like they use 45-70Govt brass with the rim turned off to fit in a 308Win bolt face. This would make their cartridge a rebated rim cartridge so it would easily stack into a AR type mag. Maybe a modified AR/308 mag.
    It would also make it as "weak" as the origional 45-70Govt chambering. To me there are much better choices of parent case to use for a project like this than a 45-70. --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Like with most "innovations" in the gun world today... I can't help but ask "why?"...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I mean really? What can this cartridge do that the 450 bushmaster or 458 socom can't do?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Uhhhhhhhh . . . . not sure John . . . . what can a .30-06 do that a 7mm Mauser,280Rem,308Win,7mm-08,8mm Mauser,6.5Creedmoor,etc,etc,etc. Can't do ???
    An older guy,a gun nut,once told me something that I look back on every time I think of all the different chamberings the shooter/hunter has to choose from now.
    He said . . . "Every chambering that will ever be needed to hunt every animal on the face of the earth was in existence BEFORE 1925". This is true IMO. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And to answer your question in post #9 - - -> push a heavier bullet faster,produce more terminal energy,kill better,make you look cooler at ERGC or the local dirt pit.
    I think that about covers it,right. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What sounded more practical to me was a few years back there was someone that reworked the M1 garand to use .338 win mag and also .458 win mag rounds. I think those are out of production.

But this 45-70 semiauto rifle is there for those want it and that is what America is all about. If you want it and have the money, then no reason why you should not have it.
    "Every chambering that will ever be needed to hunt every animal on the face of the earth was in existence BEFORE 1925". This is true IMO. --- SAWMAN
    If everyone believed that the guns companies would be selling fewer rifles lol.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just thinking. Why the heck not just do a 450Marlin chambered AR. Could use the higher pressures waaaay beyond the 45-70 specs.
    I suspect just trying to get the "it's new and different" buyers.
    I still say . . . all I need is a 45Raptor or possibly a "50Raptor". --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Uhhhhhhhh . . . . not sure John . . . . what can a .30-06 do that a 7mm Mauser,280Rem,308Win,7mm-08,8mm Mauser,6.5Creedmoor,etc,etc,etc. Can't do ???
    An older guy,a gun nut,once told me something that I look back on every time I think of all the different chamberings the shooter/hunter has to choose from now.
    He said . . . "Every chambering that will ever be needed to hunt every animal on the face of the earth was in existence BEFORE 1925". This is true IMO. --- SAWMAN

Totally agree, its a sales gimmick. years ago when everyone had 30-06 they JUST HAD TO have a 270 and then as soon as it was king THEY JUST HAD TO HAVE ...... and so it has continued, same thing with the smaller calibers. I've fell into the same trap, but a while back i decided to just be happy with the calibers I have. it would take something truly astonishing or fun to make me replace the calibers I already have and use. lets face it physics is physics, we're not likely to see other than minimal changes in any current cartridges preformance for the foreseeable future

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Totally agree, its a sales gimmick. years ago when everyone had 30-06 they JUST HAD TO have a 270 and then as soon as it was king THEY JUST HAD TO HAVE ...... and so it has continued, same thing with the smaller calibers. I've fell into the same trap, but a while back i decided to just be happy with the calibers I have. it would take something truly astonishing or fun to make me replace the calibers I already have and use. lets face it physics is physics, we're not likely to see other than minimal changes in any current cartridges preformance for the foreseeable future

When I went searching for my first rifle, I did just the opposite of looking for the newest shiny new cartridge. I went and researched what I thought was the best all around and most proven deer killer on the planet. What's been out and been killing them since the beginning of time and has proven track record for a good bit. So 30-06 it was!

Still my go to rifle for most anything!

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    When I went searching for my first rifle, I did just the opposite of looking for the newest shiny new cartridge. I went and researched what I thought was the best all around and most proven deer killer on the planet. What's been out and been killing them since the beginning of time and has proven track record for a good bit. So 30-06 it was!

Still my go to rifle for most anything!

for game 80 lbs to 2000+ lbs, it will take them all, properly loaded, and properly placed shots, and available in any po-dunk little hardware store from here to AK...to ME

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    for game 80 lbs to 2000+ lbs, it will take them all, properly loaded, and properly placed shots, and available in any po-dunk little hardware store from here to AK...to ME

Yep, that was my reasoning! I'd even go down to little 25lb piglets. But it must be the second piglet after the first one is blasted into a million bits and you hit a second one with the same round! :thumb:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yep, that was my reasoning! I'd even go down to little 25lb piglets. But it must be the second piglet after the first one is blasted into a million bits and you hit a second one with the same round! :thumb:

I think stats say 30-30 kills more deer than any other round, but if you are shooting at over 150 yrds, I would tote the 06

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I think stats say 30-30 kills more deer than any other round, but if you are shooting at over 150 yrds, I would tote the 06

The reason the 30-30 has the stats is that it is one of the early smokeless center-fire rounds and has been in use for over 100 years. Popularity of the lever action through a large part of that century lead to the ammo being very available, like the 30-06 has been since WWII. I love both, and flirted with the 45-70 while stationed in Alaska. The only one I still currently own is the 30-30 and it's cousin the 7.62x39.

New is interesting, but does not make me open my wallet anymore!

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to be a .243 fan.. and I still have 2, but after 2 shots that wounded 2 different deer (got one) I keep the .243s in the safe unless I want to plink. I know I may be jinxing myself, but 5 rounds of 06 have put down 5 deer. 4 were DRT... one ran 30-40 feet.
    I have a .45-70, but that thing is hard on a shoulder without a recoil pad and a thick jacket.

Top Bottom