• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Older Smith with mild holster marks from leaving in holster , is it possible to polish mildly to bring shine back ??

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I use flitz all the time as well - mostly on stainless and nickel, but occasionally to completely remove case colors, and removing the last traces of blue on guns I have stripped. I suspect you quit rubbing once you have gotten the powder residue out, but I am glad you are able to use it on your blue guns as well. Here is a good link (to me) on polishing a blue gun.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-smithing/79443-blued-finish-polishing.html

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    Exactly, That is its intended use, only applied and rubbed to get rid of powder residue or light surface rust etc. Im suspect on what exactly he means by the term, "holster marks", I thought he was alluding to light surface rust or just gunk on the barrel?
    Any holster marks I'm familiar with are rub spots on muzzle and cylinders where bluing is removed down to metal, so I'm not sure of his exact problem?

maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Looks like kept in holster on side for extended time , maybe not a better quality , left chemical mark on side of cylinder . Has scratches also just looking to polish. Not remove scratches , will refinish later . Thanks image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      114.1 KB · Views: 116
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Flitz is OK for this one. Then, you will know how it will work on other guns in the future. Looks like there may have been some grit, or sand, in the holster as well. Rust scabs, when dislodged, will also scratch the blue surface, so wipe away your work often to see progress.

Top Bottom