Target Sports

6.5 G best optic for close ranges and also giving some long range capability?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    6.5 G best optic for close range and also giving some long range capability?
    Looking for the best optics for my intended use of the 6.5 g in the AR
    I have just purchased an alexander arms 6.5 upper. I will test fire it soon since I picked up a lower from from trade winds last wk. I am looking for optics for it. Gun is not for hunting which I normally do not do anymore. I want it for SHTF scenarios. I chose the 6.5 AR since due to my aging and back problems I wanted less ammo load out and recoil than using a .308. I want more range and accuracy than I get from my AKs. Ability to acquire a target at close ranges comes first, but I still want to be able to hit if needed at much longer ranges and do it with something more powerful than the 77 grain 5.56 loads.
    The best optics I can find so far that meets my uses is a eotec with magnifiers. Still a little weak for longer ranges, but optimal for close up.
    Many keep telling me one should not use a 6.5 at close range since it was meant for long range and the best optic would be a 1-6x vortex. Price within reason is not a barrier.
    Any here have suggestions for optics that meet my conditions besides the eotec?
    opplanet-eotech-1-system-includes-518-2-hws-g33-magnifier-and-sts-switch-to-side-mount-w-main.jpg

Attachments

• opplanet-eotech-1-system-includes-518-2-hws-g33-magnifier-and-sts-switch-to-side-mount-w-main.jpg
      opplanet-eotech-1-system-includes-518-2-hws-g33-magnifier-and-sts-switch-to-side-mount-w-main.jpg
      34.5 KB · Views: 157

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    With respect for you,and your right to make your own choice I say - - -> I cannot reccomend a appropriate optic since I do not agree with your choice of weapons given your OP above.
    I read it several times and you are basically contradicting yourself with your needs. Considering those needs there are ( IMHO ) several different chamberings that would work out much better for you.
    This should be an interesting thread. Will watch the comments.
    Again . . . no disrespect intended,just a difference of opinion. ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With respect for you,and your right to make your own choice I say - - -> I cannot reccomend a appropriate optic since I do not agree with your choice of weapons given your OP above.
    I read it several times and you are basically contradicting yourself with your needs. Considering those needs there are ( IMHO ) several different chamberings that would work out much better for you.
    This should be an interesting thread. Will watch the comments.
    Again . . . no disrespect intended,just a difference of opinion. ---- SAWMAN
    When one asks for advice, one should not be upset if the advice suggests something else.
    If I was sure I would not be asking lol.
    Thanks sawman.
    I will read what is suggested and appreciate all.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    When one asks for advice, one should not be upset if the advice suggests something else.
    If I was sure I would not be asking lol.
    Thanks sawman.
    I will read what is suggested and appreciate all.

reply suggests you are a wise man...

wags68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Look at a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8. Put this on my 6.5G and really like it. At 1 power functions like a red dot but allows you to get quick hits out to 500 yards at 8 power. If you ever go to CORE, I would be happy to let you try my setup before you buy.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Look at a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8. Put this on my 6.5G and really like it. At 1 power functions like a red dot but allows you to get quick hits out to 500 yards at 8 power. If you ever go to CORE, I would be happy to let you try my setup before you buy.
    Thanks for the response.
    I was wondering what the CORE was that I see people mentioning. There has been a range for sometime in the blackwater in the past offering up 1,000 yards and perhaps that is now the CORE range. I just looked CORE up on the internet. The only other range that I knew that had 1,000 was near Pascagoula. From Pace, FL it is not especially close so it would not pay for me to get a regular membership up there. Core is north of Crestview near the AL border. There is also Capt Ron's Range.
    What I need is not to shoot your rifle, but to look through the optic to get an idea. I likely will in the new year PM you to try to find out when you are going up that way.
    I already belong to PRPC and ERGC. PRPC does have 300 yards.
    For now I will just put on a 2nd hand older 4x scope to see generally how the gun does. I only have some wolf steel case on hand at the moment which Alexander Arms says they had input with wolf when it was developed and so it should function the gun.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Low power variable will serve you well.
    Red dot and magnifier don’t work so well past 300.
    If I ever get a 6.5, it’ll be mainly for 500-1000, with 5.56 covering 0-500. But to each his own.
    Have you considered Grendel?

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ask Dan about Capt. Ron's range. He knows him personally and that is where he gets all his training from. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ask Dan about Capt. Ron's range. He knows him personally and that is where he gets all his training from. --- SAWMAN
    Sorry I did not want to start anything here. I was really just interested in the location of Capt. Ron's range and do not wish him any ill will at all. The only instructors or should say former instructors I will think ill of locally were the O'ns that were de-elected from the ERGC. Barry was as I understand it was formally expelled and Sandra left the area and him to marry someone else. They use to have a training building on Avalon Blvd which they were unable to fund and we thought they were planning to use the ERCG facilities for their business. They also changed the tax status. They lost out at a general membership meeting by the members about the Tax status change and then left the club.

Last edited:

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What are your realistic extended range and target. You should be able to hit a 300 yard torso with a red dot fairly easily. A magnifier would help in that scenario and the red dot would be your best bet for close range target acquisition.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What are your realistic extended range and target. You should be able to hit a 300 yard torso with a red dot fairly easily. A magnifier would help in that scenario and the red dot would be your best bet for close range target acquisition.
    Extended range? what ever is possible after settling for an optic that gives me the faster target acquisition up close. Besides the 5.56 nato, there is the 300 blackout (Aka Whisper) that with 120 grain bullets is IIRC is about 2200 fps versus say 2500 plus for the 6.5 grendel. The 6.5 Grendel is equally or more or as effective as other common chamberings of 30 cal or smaller. So there little down side to using a 6.5 at closer range, except some of the hotter 5.56 nato loads with that penetrator can go through more mild steel plate than the other rounds will. With the right bullets all of them kill well at close range. It is at the longer ranges that the 6.5 starts to show better performance.

Top Bottom