• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hadn't popped cap in a while so some friends and I went shooting a couple of Saturdays ago. We had a good time shooting rifles and pistols for several hours.

After we finished and were packing up I couldn't help but stare at the big pile of brass I made and all I could think of was how much it would cost to replace it, I obtained it many years ago for substantially less. It's almost a buck to replace one of the USGI 30 cal rounds.

Even reloading isn't that cheap anymore unless you're casting you own bullets. I hate to not shoot but I also hate that I can't replace my ammo without a bank loan.

How are ya'll coping with the expense of regular shooting? Are you shooting up your old stash or buying new to plink?

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've been shooting all the old stuff while buying new when I can. Some of the 30-06 I had stockpiled was from 1947 and newer, no duds but I did break a de-capping pin trying to reload some of it. Now I know not to force it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Welcome to the Real World, that why I don't sale ammo just shoot it and reload, do you think we can start making bullets out of used wood. Just my 5 cents jj

mac the knife

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Welcome to the Real World, that why I don't sale ammo just shoot it and reload, do you think we can start making bullets out of used wood. Just my 5 cents jj

Hey 'JJ. Petrified wood would probably work. Why dont you get on that ,and let us know when you get some loaded. ( You do know that the Germans actually Made wooden Practice rounds )

mac the knife

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Hadn't popped cap in a while so some friends and I went shooting a couple of Saturdays ago. We had a good time shooting rifles and pistols for several hours.

After we finished and were packing up I couldn't help but stare at the big pile of brass I made and all I could think of was how much it would cost to replace it, I obtained it many years ago for substantially less. It's almost a buck to replace one of the USGI 30 cal rounds.

Even reloading isn't that cheap anymore unless you're casting you own bullets. I hate to not shoot but I also hate that I can't replace my ammo without a bank loan.

How are ya'll coping with the expense of regular shooting? Are you shooting up your old stash or buying new to plink?

You just have to be on the lookout for good deals.
    I got some of these today From GRAF & SONS( Pretty good deal for me ,I shoot a lot of 38's)

MAGTECH BULLET 38c 158gr LRN 100/bag 10/cs
    Item #: MHBU38A
    Price: $12.59$4.99 SALE!
    You save 60%!
    $0.05 per round
    Shipping: One flat fee of $7.95 per order.
    Exclusions apply. Click for details.
    Special Pricing - No Further Discounts
    Availability: In Stock

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If a person shoots regularly, it is very expensive! Hand loading seemed to save me about $.20- $.30 on the dollar for most of my loads...I own my brass so if I had to buy it, It wouldn't work out too well on the first batch so I buy factory ammo and collect the brass...even on calibers I don't load.

Today's, post ammo crunch prices, aren't much different if you factor in inflation. Without getting into a monetary policy discussion in 1990 a production supervisor in my industry made between $26-30K annually...that same job with the same company/industry is no paid $60-65K today or there about. So yes, the amount of dollars I plunk down for a box of ammo is much more than it was 20 years ago...but people are paid more in the same dollars. The dollars are worth less so it takes more of them to buy the things we buy. Money printing....

This is a huge issue for people on fixed incomes for sure as their income doesn't keep up. This I know, shooting is expensive. Hand loading can lower the cost some, but you may find yourself shooting more...I did. In today's world, people who work steady for a good company and who's spouse work will buy or rent a home, they will have two cars and one will likely be fairly new, they will have at least one, maybe two substantial hobbies with at least one of them involving another major purchase like motorcyle, boat, camper, horses, etc....

So the real question is not how can I afford a hobby like shooting but can I do it with my other hobbies or do I have to give one of them up? Think about your parents or grand parents...I have much,much more stuff than they did or than I did growing up. Just connected with one of my childhood neighbors and one of his memories was that I always had cool gear....I felt that way about my other neighbor! Such is life and such is perception.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you do not want to cast there is a cheaper way to get plinking bullets for 30 cal rifles. The slightly oversize .32 bullets intended .32 ACP pistols will work in 30-06 or least they have for me. No limit as to how fast you can drive them. Bullets intended for the .30us carbine will also work. In gas operated weapons you need a sufficient powder charge to operate the gas system. Short shank bullets could get pushed back in the case. They also might not feed. I have not had a problem.
    MIDWAY Remington Bullets 32 ACP (311 Diameter) 71 Grain Full Metal Jacket $18.49 - $249.99
    ($0.12 - $0.18/Each, Hornady Bullets 30 Carbine (308 Diameter) 110 Grain Full Metal Jacket Sale $18.89 - $155.99
    ($0.16 - $0.19/Bullet)

Right now AK and 5.56 ammo is the cheapest center rifle ammo that is commonly out there.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve been shooting more .22’s during shooting sessions. Sure helps to extend the centerfire ammo doing that and still get in lots of trigger time.

My single stage reloading stuff have a way of extending component supply also.

How about the prices of my old powder supplies VS the latest pound of 4198 I picked up last week:
    F875F2A3-A414-4737-BEAE-37BCCCBFC633.jpg

Attachments

• F875F2A3-A414-4737-BEAE-37BCCCBFC633.jpg
      F875F2A3-A414-4737-BEAE-37BCCCBFC633.jpg
      219.9 KB · Views: 133
    Top Bottom