HD Tactical

Local Credit Unions....Navy Federal...Pen Air ??? Input would be appreciated....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am wanting to get away from the bank I am with.....Just don't feel comfortable doing business with them any longer....and the tow above are the only ones I hear a lot about.
    I was a member of Pen Air way back when I was in the Military.....Has Navy Federal grown too big...too fast ?

Anyone have much experience with the above Credit Unions....anything that would make one better over the other.....Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have been with penair since 82, they have treated me well, and I like the somewhat smaller facilities, close to where I work

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Navy Fedeal rocks! Best financial institution I have ever been with.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I'm moving to a credit union because of rates on CD's, savings, checking, and local proximity.
    I would suggest joining the one with the closest branch to your home.
    They all have good reputations as far as I know. Conveinience in important to me.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Navy Fedeal rocks! Best financial institution I have ever been with.

Ditto here I have been a member of Navy Federal for over 25 years. If I do get a loan or a mortgage I refuse to use anyone else. Also a member of PenAir but don't really use them that much just another place to house money.

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm moving to a credit union because of rates on CD's, savings, checking, and local proximity.
    I would suggest joining the one with the closest branch to your home.
    They all have good reputations as far as I know. Conveinience in important to me.

I noticed the other day that Pen Air has a branch just down the street....that will play a factor in this. I also noticed in my research that both of them paying a lot better rates on about everything than the banks....

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use both Eglin Federal and Navy Federal; I'm probably a bit biased since my daughter is a branch manager for Navy Federal.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently got a mortgage through Navy Federal and although their employees tried really hard, they hired an appraiser that totally dropped the ball, and didn't even use same model homes on the same street as my house, and instead used houses from miles away and sales over a year ago. In the end, they ended up refunding the appraisal fee, but it really played hell with my closing date and cost me a ton of money out of pocket at closing.

Recently, I changed homeowner's insurance companies on the same house. I called NFCU 6 weeks before the premium was due and told them not to pay the old company. I had the new company dec page faxed over. I was assured they understood. I made sure they wrote it down, about who to pay. Come premium time, they paid the old company. I had to call them, and asked what happened. They said "We dont know. It says right here not to pay the old company". They then told me they stopped the payment, and paid the new company, so all was good. A week later, I got a letter saying that they paid both companies, and I had to go get a refund from the old company and send it to them. I called NFCU again. Of course, I had to leave a message (you cant talk to the escrow department directly without raising holy hell). Customer service person said, "Yea looks like we paid them, but we got your money back no worries". I asked for a escrow statement, so I could see wtf they've been doing. They asked if I wanted it snail mail or email. I said email. We confirmed they had the proper email address. They never sent the escrow statement. Pretty bad showing all around.

I use Eglin Credit Union for most of my stuff. I recently got a car loan through them. Took about an hour, start to finish.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I noticed the other day that Pen Air has a branch just down the street....that will play a factor in this. I also noticed in my research that both of them paying a lot better rates on about everything than the banks....

9mi rd, saufley fld rd, and industrial blvd are the branches I use, industrial blvd is the only one with a lobby open on Saturday though

saufley fld is open til 1730 on fridays

Tradewind

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been with NFCU for 42 years, no complaints in all that time. I highly recommend them.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Elgin Federal for the last 25 years and Teachers Federal just because they opened a branch in Baker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Navy Fed started in 1933. I've been with them for almost 50 years. During that time, I have lived where there weren't any Branchs and before the internet. Still did all major banking through them but did need to get a local bank account for convenience of check cashing. Those minor bumps were eliminated as tech systems on line improved. They have handled several mortgages (they replaced one POC that was not timely or responsive), decades of vehicle loans (all except two Dealer below 1% APRs), and handle our plastic cards too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom