• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Helping a family member look around for a Ruger 44 mag Auto in good shape.. Hoping to keep the price reasonable and have a good looking and shooting short range rifle,, Anyone thinking to sell or trade a decent rifle shoot me a ,,, P M,,,,,with picture will be nice,,If not a model and price, We will go from there,,
    I am not on as much as I used to be,,,,,,,,But will check in time to time ,, ,,, Thanks much olecarver

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Got one that I would not part with. There are at least three different models of the Ruger 44mag carbine's. A good one,with normal wear will cost you about $650.00+.
    Great hard hitting fast to target gun. Even the older ones will handle any SAAMI spec load. Do not use any of the Buffalo Bore sorta loads. ( Not needed) I load a 300gr Hornady XTP fairly book hot using H110.
    Great shooting guns. Good choice. I"ll keep my eyes open for you. --- SAWMAN

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got one that I would not part with. There are at least three different models of the Ruger 44mag carbine's. A good one,with normal wear will cost you about $650.00+.
    Great hard hitting fast to target gun. Even the older ones will handle any SAAMI spec load. Do not use any of the Buffalo Bore sorta loads. ( Not needed) I load a 300gr Hornady XTP fairly book hot using H110.
    Great shooting guns. Good choice. I"ll keep my eyes open for you. --- SAWMAN

From his past hunting stories,,It will be a 50 yrd or so shooter. He buys all his ammo from stores. Seems he had a good one when he hunted Alabama with dogs,,and his brother talked him out of it when he started hunting Fla public lands few years back.. Now he misses having it around when sitting in with his friends to watch a good harvest.. And from looking they do run 500.oo to 900.oo on Broker .. About this time last year , I found a Weatherby in here he has fell in love with and gave her a name like so many of us do,,Now just searching for a good deal.. Thanks SAWMAN

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I grew up using a Winchester 94 30/30 for my short range/brush gun. I picked up a Ruger 96/44 lever action some years ago and that is when my affinity started for the .44 Magnum in a Carbine rifle. I now have that same 96/44, one standard Ruger .44 (99/44) semi auto Carbine, one Carbine with the international stock and most recently a Ruger 77/44 bolt action as well as a Winchester lever in .44. Lots of hard hitting power and just a hoot to shoot. I will keep my eyes out for you as well but those things are getting harder to come across and even harder to find one that is affordable. Good luck with your search!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You have probably already looked but there's a few on GB. More less all
    " collector" priced. About like older S&W revolvers over the past few years. Seems they are coming down some but Smith still makes revolvers but Ruger is not making the 44 auto carbines.
    Guess they have been too busy making ARs and 1911s.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-...44&Condition=4&Sort=13&PageSize=24&ca=5000128

Last edited:

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cold Steel Firearms in Bonifay Fl, had one in stock as of Thursday,[/QUOT sent a message over , mabe get a couple pics and price and see if he wants to go from there Thanks wareagle50...
    Gents from the info and in put on this item,,I will be wanting to try out his if an when he locates one,, I have never tried 44 mag except in a hand gun.. Go figure.. Thanks gents still in search ole carver

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    There are other options also for a short,light,carbine chambered in 44Rem Mag. Choices that will allow more capacity and give the owner the choice of shooting 44Special.
    If interested . . . let me know. I do not want to derail your OP. --- SAWMAN

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are other options also for a short,light,carbine chambered in 44Rem Mag. Choices that will allow more capacity and give the owner the choice of shooting 44Special.
    If interested . . . let me know. I do not want to derail your OP. --- SAWMAN

Heck Bill,,,,,Shoot me some ideas,,, heck I might decide to get one,,,,,, didn't realize the quality of a 44 mag carbine.Till running this post and started looking at the Rugers ,,, When I was growning up.. wait I never did grow up,,when I was younger, if a 22lr or 410 didn't fill the job, I borrowed my step dads Winchester 30-30. Been stuck in old school shooting till jumpin in with you guys here the last few years........ (( Ed ya Ma Kate me )) .. I'm open minded an the market sure has a lot of choices . Thanks

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    BTW . . . got your PM.
    The Rugers were produced in several different styles over the years. Mine is the "RS" version. Some of the older styles were produced where you could unload the mag without running the mags ammo thru the action. There was a little ammo release button where it would come streight out of the mag. There was a version that had sights like a 10-22. My version has rear peep sights. Thr smaller appature can be removed for closer and faster targeting.
    Then there was the later model designed similar to a MINI-14. Every variation of the Ruger 44mag carbine is fairly expensive nowadays. Parts availability is somewhat limited and they are not the easiest gun to disassemble. They are a soft shooter,however full power ammo MUST be used and they do not like non jaceted bullets which IMO are some of the very best for hunting with the larger bore guns.
    The alternatives to the Ruger are lever guns. I have owned several. Winchester Mod 94 Trapper,Marlin 1894S,and LSI Rossi come to mind. The latter being a 92 action which will handle power levels far beyond the 94 designed guns. My Rossi 92 was chambered in 454Casull which is a 60,000psi cartridge. That would shred a 94 action.
    All these guns (chambered in 44mag/44Special) will hold somewhere between 7 and 9 shots. They also love the WFNGC hardcast which is a real killer.
    You also have quite a few single shots also if so desired. I have a few of them also. Another choice would be a AR "pistol" which will quite easily produce the power of a 44mag.
    No one else produces a 44mag semi auto. Probably too costly to produce. I am slowly talking myself into a 450Bushmaster AR "pistol". Will let you know how that goes. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom