Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reloading equipment?

I would like to start getting into reloading, but don't want to go in full speed. I would like some advice on middle of the road equipment. Don't want the cheapest, but don't want the most expensive either. What would be a good starting setup for reloading 9mm and 40S&M?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Bearded Moderator TennJeep1618's Avatar
    Moved to the reloading section. Please create new threads in the appropriate section.

What kind of round counts are you looking to produce every month/year? Do you plan on sticking with just 9mm and 45, or do you eventually want to load other cartridges, including rifle?

For most handgun reloading, you really have to weigh cost vs time. The cheaper equipment (presses) works fine, but it typically takes longer to use. The higher end progressive presses can produce a lot of ammo quickly, but that efficiency comes at a much higher cost.
    I learn the hard way.

Resident trigger snob.

My YouTube Channel <--- Link

3. 2 Like TennJeep1618's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TennJeep1618 View Post
    Moved to the reloading section. Please create new threads in the appropriate section.

What kind of round counts are you looking to produce every month/year? Do you plan on sticking with just 9mm and 45, or do you eventually want to load other cartridges, including rifle?

For most handgun reloading, you really have to weigh cost vs time. The cheaper equipment (presses) works fine, but it typically takes longer to use. The higher end progressive presses can produce a lot of ammo quickly, but that efficiency comes at a much higher cost.
    Sorry for the wrong location, and thanks for the move.

I would like to move up to other calibers in the future including rifle. Not sure on how many rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrewer74 View Post
    Sorry for the wrong location, and thanks for the move.

I would like to move up to other calibers in the future including rifle. Not sure on how many rounds.

It's hard for me to make a good recommendation if you don't know how many rounds per month you want to load.

Given that, it's hard to beat a Lee Classic Turret press to start with. You can use it like a single stage when you're first learning, then you can use the auto-rotation function for quicker loading once you get used to it. But if you get above a certain threshold of quantity, the LCT will just become frustrating trying to keep up.
    I learn the hard way.

Resident trigger snob.

6. Likes TennJeep1618's Post:

I am just not sure how many rounds I would be reloading. Lets just say 300 rounds a month. I understand that makes it difficult to give me a suggestion.

300 rounds a month is pretty easy with a LCT, Auto Drum, and Safety Prime. If you ever decide that it's not keeping up, you can go with a progressive press (maybe a Dillon 550C). I load 2-3K at a time on a Dillon 1050, but I still keep my LCT around for smaller batches of ammo, test loads, etc. It's a very versatile press that will take you pretty far, unless you start shooting a lot and don't have much time to reload.
    I learn the hard way.

Resident trigger snob.

9. Likes TennJeep1618's Post:

I use a 550 for smaller batches...2-500 at a sitting. If I need more I run up to my shooting partners and use one of his 1050s...1K rounds per hr roughly...and that is slow

I found the LCT I had a bit on the frustrating side for me. I picked up a Dillon 450 and have since converted it to a 550...never looked back. I see them every now and then (the 450) and not real expensive and Dillon's support is nothing short of phenomenal as far as I'm concerned.

11. 2 Like Jester896's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    I use a 550 for smaller batches...2-500 at a sitting. If I need more I run up to my shooting partners and use one of his 1050s...1K rounds per hr roughly...and that is slow

I found the LCT I had a bit on the frustrating side for me. I picked up a Dillon 450 and have since converted it to a 550...never looked back. I see them every now and then (the 450) and not real expensive and Dillon's support is nothing short of phenomenal as far as I'm concerned.

I can definitely get on board with a 550 as a first press, if the funds allow it (in addition to all of the other initial necessities). It's a great press that is very versatile and will produce good ammo quickly.
    I learn the hard way.

Resident trigger snob.

Lee turret press fits that description in my opinion...best for straight cased pistol rounds, but I also use it for 300 AAC. Lee has some good packages to get you started, but you will buy extra things like digital scale, calipers, dies and maybe quick change turret bases. The only way i wouldn't start with this set up would be if I were loading necked rifle rounds that I wan't going to be shooting in high volume.

The other consideration, at least for me, is that while I want to be efficient and productive, the time I spend on my press loading is my meditative time so to speak....so it doesn't bother me at all if I only load 150 rounds per hour or less...it is enjoyable so I like to be loading my stuff.

Necked rifle round will require some additional investment too so if you shoot a semi auto AR or AK or Mini...the lee is still a good way to go but a little additional investment will be needed for case prep and such
    Lifetime NRA member

14. 2 Like Mouser's Post:

Forgive me...the Lee that I had was a progressive thinking back....the LCT might just be OK.

I run .300BLK on my Dillon once in a while but that is the only rifle round. .223 on the 1050 and everything else I do on SS. I don't even size on my Dillon...most of that I do on a SS.

16. Likes Jester896's Post: