• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I would like to start getting into reloading, but don't want to go in full speed. I would like some advice on middle of the road equipment. Don't want the cheapest, but don't want the most expensive either. What would be a good starting setup for reloading 9mm and 40S&M?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Moved to the reloading section. Please create new threads in the appropriate section.

What kind of round counts are you looking to produce every month/year? Do you plan on sticking with just 9mm and 45, or do you eventually want to load other cartridges, including rifle?

For most handgun reloading, you really have to weigh cost vs time. The cheaper equipment (presses) works fine, but it typically takes longer to use. The higher end progressive presses can produce a lot of ammo quickly, but that efficiency comes at a much higher cost.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Moved to the reloading section. Please create new threads in the appropriate section.

What kind of round counts are you looking to produce every month/year? Do you plan on sticking with just 9mm and 45, or do you eventually want to load other cartridges, including rifle?

For most handgun reloading, you really have to weigh cost vs time. The cheaper equipment (presses) works fine, but it typically takes longer to use. The higher end progressive presses can produce a lot of ammo quickly, but that efficiency comes at a much higher cost.
    Sorry for the wrong location, and thanks for the move.

I would like to move up to other calibers in the future including rifle. Not sure on how many rounds.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sorry for the wrong location, and thanks for the move.

I would like to move up to other calibers in the future including rifle. Not sure on how many rounds.

It's hard for me to make a good recommendation if you don't know how many rounds per month you want to load.

Given that, it's hard to beat a Lee Classic Turret press to start with. You can use it like a single stage when you're first learning, then you can use the auto-rotation function for quicker loading once you get used to it. But if you get above a certain threshold of quantity, the LCT will just become frustrating trying to keep up.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am just not sure how many rounds I would be reloading. Lets just say 300 rounds a month. I understand that makes it difficult to give me a suggestion.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    300 rounds a month is pretty easy with a LCT, Auto Drum, and Safety Prime. If you ever decide that it's not keeping up, you can go with a progressive press (maybe a Dillon 550C). I load 2-3K at a time on a Dillon 1050, but I still keep my LCT around for smaller batches of ammo, test loads, etc. It's a very versatile press that will take you pretty far, unless you start shooting a lot and don't have much time to reload.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I use a 550 for smaller batches...2-500 at a sitting. If I need more I run up to my shooting partners and use one of his 1050s...1K rounds per hr roughly...and that is slow :D

I found the LCT I had a bit on the frustrating side for me. I picked up a Dillon 450 and have since converted it to a 550...never looked back. I see them every now and then (the 450) and not real expensive and Dillon's support is nothing short of phenomenal as far as I'm concerned.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I use a 550 for smaller batches...2-500 at a sitting. If I need more I run up to my shooting partners and use one of his 1050s...1K rounds per hr roughly...and that is slow :D

I found the LCT I had a bit on the frustrating side for me. I picked up a Dillon 450 and have since converted it to a 550...never looked back. I see them every now and then (the 450) and not real expensive and Dillon's support is nothing short of phenomenal as far as I'm concerned.

I can definitely get on board with a 550 as a first press, if the funds allow it (in addition to all of the other initial necessities). It's a great press that is very versatile and will produce good ammo quickly.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lee turret press fits that description in my opinion...best for straight cased pistol rounds, but I also use it for 300 AAC. Lee has some good packages to get you started, but you will buy extra things like digital scale, calipers, dies and maybe quick change turret bases. The only way i wouldn't start with this set up would be if I were loading necked rifle rounds that I wan't going to be shooting in high volume.

The other consideration, at least for me, is that while I want to be efficient and productive, the time I spend on my press loading is my meditative time so to speak....so it doesn't bother me at all if I only load 150 rounds per hour or less...it is enjoyable so I like to be loading my stuff.

Necked rifle round will require some additional investment too so if you shoot a semi auto AR or AK or Mini...the lee is still a good way to go but a little additional investment will be needed for case prep and such

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Forgive me...the Lee that I had was a progressive thinking back....the LCT might just be OK.

I run .300BLK on my Dillon once in a while but that is the only rifle round. .223 on the 1050 and everything else I do on SS. I don't even size on my Dillon...most of that I do on a SS.

Patrick

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll second the Lee Turret press suggestion. I usually shoot a couple hundred rounds per week, but only reload every few weeks, usually about 500 to 1000 rounds at a go, mostly .45 ACP and .45 Colt. Definitely beats using a single stage press for that quantity, but not as expensive in both money and shop space as the progressive presses.

slopoke308

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll through another two cents at it. I got into hand loading a few years ago with the sole purpose of saving a little bit of money, and to put together some hot round combinations. I bought a RCBS partner press kit that came with everything you need to start, except obviously dies/components. I don't load large quantities, and I dont get out to the range very often. Im loading 40, and 357 sig. My little single stage and plastic beam scale work just fine for my application. Yes it's slow and tedious, but im okay with that because I enjoy the process. For example I made up some 135gr Nosler JHP in .40 that are moving at 1401fps avg and 589ft/lbs out of a 6in barrel Glock24c, and .357sig(same gun KKM barrel) 124gr GDHPs at 1555fps avg w/667ft/lbs for half the price of factory stuff that doesn't perform as well! If you are looking a bulk operation this probably isn't for you. When I do get behind the bench I might crank out a 100-150rds over a couple of hours, but then again, I enjoy the process!

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started out with a Lee Classic Cast single stage, moved up to a Classic Turret (4-hole) and finally graduated to a pair of Hornady LNL progressives. I started out loading and shooting about 100/week, but since retiring, I am loading and shooting 1000+ rounds of 9mm per week along with a 200-300 45 ACP and 40 S&W. When loading for my rifles, I still use the single stage as these are more precision loads. I am glad I started with the single stage as it taught me a lot of the details and gotchas of reloading early on and has made me a much better loader in the process.

Baldwin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm fairly new to reloading and use a Redding T7 turret press. I load for 9mm and 45 ACP. It may change, but I'm not interested in loading a large volume of rounds quickly. I am really enjoying the T7.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I am grateful for the experiences that a single stage gave me before moving to a turret or progressive

TheMech

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would say you want at least a auto indexing turret press like the Lee turret press. Or the Lee Pro 1000. You could easily crank out 300 rounds in a session. If you need more than that a month then get the XL650.

Remember Dillon 650's are an investment. Most of the lee products work well, but you will loose a lot if you sell.

Like with all tools, decide what the job is (how many rounds per month) then pick a quality tool that will last a lifetime. If you get tired of it, you can get most of your money back.

Opsec

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started on my Lee Turret press, I just bought the RCBS kit this weekend, Next wil be a Dillon 550. then I will have a machine for everything I reload for. A good sinle stage is great to learn on. Look for a Lee kit it shouldn't be more than 150ish and it has a lot of good stuff. I have a Lee scale I can give you if you just get a press. I just upgraded to a Hornaday powder dispenser and a M1 tumbler.

Top Bottom