• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Got the new baby to the range for the first time yesterday. Ok, my impressions.

First, how it felt in the shoulder. I could not seem to get the butt stock properly seated in my shoulder and have a good sight picture between the rear and front sights. In order to get a good sight picture, I had to position the lower end of the butt into the upper part of my shoulder notch. As you can imagine, my shoulder is quite sore today because I was firing without the full butt plate being in contact with my shoulder. Is it just me or is the stock different to American stocks that I am most familiar with? Is the AK stock not as tall as the traditional American stock?

Second, accuracy. I really didn't expect the accuracy to be very good as it needs to be sighted in, however, I was very disappointed with where it hit ( or more like it didn't hit). My first target was placed at 25 yds and the ramp was positioned at 100M. As I expected, it placed high and right of center point aim. Then, I tried shooting at a target at 100yds. Actually, I attempted to hit a target as Rob Ski described on the YouTube video in his "sighting in an AK the way the Russians do it". At 100yds, I could not place a bullet in 26"x36" piece of cardboard which had the 25cmx35cm black rectangle. I know that I was shooting at a target at 100yds (not meters) and I had the ramp positioned at 300M. After all, 100yds is only off from 100M by 9(+) yds. I'm not really sure, however, I believe that the bullet was hitting the berm high left of the cardboard. Any thoughts on whether to sights are that far off or is it me on how I am positioning the rifle into my shoulder and sighting the rifle on the target? I suppose I'm going to need to buy the front sight adjustment tool before I get to the range the next time. Any of you gurus have a recommendation on the process I should use to sight the rifle in?

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    300m = 300 yards + or - at 25 yards you should have had the ramp set below the 100m mark, at 100 yards set it to 100m, you were likly hitting over the target by several inches at 100 yards with it set to 300m

1 meter = 3.28 feet
    1 yard = 3 feet

or was the 300m a typo?

Last edited:

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have heard of it but never known anyone personally who had success doing that. I know on the Russian rifles I have shot at 100 yards I was basketball sized groups using (un-adjusted) iron sights with the ramp set to 100m

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    AK factory stocks "generally" are shorter and have a shorter LOP than "American" stocks. I would suggest putting a MagPul stock on it. I have the MagPul triangle stock on mine and it makes a world of difference. Mount a red dot on it too and it's a whole different animal.

Top Bottom