Target Sports

Are the latest SCCYs worth buying? Please-no LMAO replies...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've researched SCCY as a 9mm carry gun (fits in my pocket) but it seems they're either loved or hated with no middle ground really. I figured once I ran a hundred rounds through it, I'd find any FTF/FTE's. Seems like they're becoming less complained about lately, and they DO have a lifetime warranty-original owner or not.
    Despite SCCY having five-star customer service, I realize that we carry for the gravest extreme, and I'd like the community's thoughts first. It's a CPX 2 and I'd be getting it NIB for $210.00 out-the-door. :help:

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I've never shot one to have an opinion on them specifically but I'd imagine the following is similar to any other low cost maker like hipoint. If what you can afford is $210 OTD that's better than the alternative. I'd be interested in shooting one to feel the trigger, recoil, and ease of control/manipulation. There's always a market for something like this and cost doesn't always line up with quality.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never shot one to have an opinion on them specifically but I'd imagine the following is similar to any other low cost maker like hipoint. If what you can afford is $210 OTD that's better than the alternative. I'd be interested in shooting one to feel the trigger, recoil, and ease of control/manipulation. There's always a market for something like this and cost doesn't always line up with quality.

What he said, plus have realistic expectations.

pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many owners on forums report that the magazines are to blame for feed issues, but the company's reputation for sudden, no-hassle service usually results in new/replacement parts or return shipping labels within only days. Interestingly, they manufacture their own magazines. Nonetheless, great service is of no use if you ever have to use it for it's intended purpose. At that price point, think I'll just get it, and learn to trust it through shooting (or repairing) before I carry it. I know that sounds sorry, but I've had to send far more expensive guns back for service for minor issues, and their service was less than stellar.

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My Brother-in-Law swore by his.

arowzee727

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    If you like a super long reset on a carry pistol then go for it. Not a big fan but it is a great deal.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I had one for years, never any malfunctions at the range but I didn't shoot it much as it wasn't a range toy for me. Long trigger pull but with no safety thats a good thing. Mine did not feel like the claimed 9lb pull but I never measured it. I got it for carrying when I didn't want to have anything expensive on my hip for things like fishing, hiking, rainy days, etc..... only traded it for an even smaller plastic carry to serve the same purpose.

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use to own one. Bought it for a inexpensive truck gun. I had problems feeding as well and I experienced the long trigger reset as mentioned above. The recoil was hard and could not stand to shoot more than a box of ammo at a time. If you buy one I would shoot several hundred rounds through it before I would carry it. If you want something that fits in the front pocket and goes boom every time check out the S&W 642 revolver. I saw them on wikiarms for $260 plus there is a $50 mail in rebate that would get you in the same price point. I traded mine SCCY for a torque wrench.

pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gas Port, I'm sure I could master the recoil. A composite pistol weighing 15 oz with a three inch barrel is something to be prepared for, fer sure. And yes, the 642 does look like a viable alternative, but- now I have indecision...(sigh) On the other hand, a S&W is of known quality; I didn't know there were deals like those on S&Ws. Thanks.

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Gas Port, I'm sure I could master the recoil. A composite pistol weighing 15 oz with a three inch barrel is something to be prepared for, fer sure. And yes, the 642 does look like a viable alternative, but- now I have indecision...(sigh) On the other hand, a S&W is of known quality; I didn't know there were deals like those on S&Ws. Thanks.
    With the price of shields right now, I'd go that route.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    With the price of shields right now, I'd go that route.

I own a Shield and it is just a bit too big for pocket carry. I like mine for what it is but that is not pocket carry. No experience with SCCY.

I love a quote from one of our members. "If a cheap gun malfunctions, it is a P.O.S. If an expensive gun malfunctions, it is just breaking in."

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you want something that fits in the front pocket and goes boom every time check out the S&W 642 revolver. I saw them on wikiarms for $260 plus there is a $50 mail in rebate that would get you in the same price point. I traded mine SCCY for a torque wrench.

Check the fine print, im pretty sure that's 260 after the rebate. Also, and I'm not saying the sccy is any better, but the finish on my 642 started scratching/chipping/flaking within 90 days, which it spent in a holster in my pocket. Google search shows I'm not the only one.
    If I had too do it over again, I'd have gotten the 442 no lock for the same price. In fact if they're 260(after rebate) I may just buy one anyways. Other than the cheap clear coat I love the 642.

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My finish pitted due to carrying a speed loader in the same pocket. Guns are a tool to use and with use they depreciate in value. Some of my favorite pistols and shotguns will give you lock jaw if you had a open wound. Now that I think about it the torque wrench I traded my SCCY for was rusted.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It seems that the second gen is better than the first gen SCCY. Also they now have a .380 version which might be a bit smaller and easier to pocket carry. Please let us know if you decide to pick one up.

pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I DID get the CPX-2. I've only gotten to shoot two 10-rd. mags thru it, owing to the fact that I had to bust them off quickly and leave the area quickly. C'mon-we've all done it.. "Let he who is without sin..." It swallowed the Speer 124gr. JHP+P carry loads without a hiccup. Not a real test,of course, but I'm lining up a new plinking location as I write this, lol. I will say that the fit, finish, and dry action on it are on a par with more expensive 9's, and better than several. I'm cautiously impressed. Film at 11:00....

ewgannaway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I rented one for gits and shiggles and found it to be a passable piece of equipment, especially at their price point. If I were in the market for a smaller pistol and had the resources to get a CZ compact, Glock 43, or Sig P938 I would go that route. However, if the SCCY's price point is where I needed or wanted to be, I would have absolutely no problem owning one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom