APOD Firearms

Ruger American 7mm-08 Compact Any Feedback on this Setup?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dr0belcher

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought this Rifle a few years back and only shot it at the range to sight it in. 6 Rounds I believe.
    I have a Barska 3-9x40 scope and strap on it.
    I don't hunt or get to hunt much. If I do I will use my .270 anyways.
    Just wanted some user feedback on this rife before I sell it or put it back in the safe.
    I almost posted it today, but said well you never know if I may use it.

Thanks for your input,

Josh

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The Ruger American is a great rifle. For the money . . it is a great value and IMO you get what you pay for . . possibly a little more.
    The Compact series come in the traditional blued or stainless. It would be the stainless version for me. The bbls are short which is good for OAL but somewhat "bad" for the bullet vels produced. The LOP of the Compacts is 12.5" which I absolutely love. Makes them super fast to shoulder and swing.
    They come with a two piece base installed. If you use them,at least take them off,clean under them,and reinstall using BLUE LocTite or clear fingernail polish. I would order a 6" one piece base from EGW as I have for my RARR. This gives you more choices where you mount your rings. The Burris Extreme Tactical MEDIUM height work perfect on my gun to hold my 1" Zeiss 2-7X33 scope.
    The triggers on these guns are . . . Ummmmmmm . . . OK. But not good enough for me. Good news is,they are extremely easy to take down to <3lbs with NO creep and almost zero overtravel. My gun breaks at 2lbs 12ozs.
    There are some great choices of chamberings offered my Ruger for these guns. Some of which are 308Win,7mm-08,243,and 22-250 which has the 1:10 twist. This departs from the standard 1:14 that is common to most 22-250's. It will allow you to shoot the heavier bullets that have been offered lately in the .224" caliber.
    I feel that the Ruger American line of rifles gives you a lot for your money. And if you get the itch for some real fun in your life,you can pick up one of these chambered in 450Bushmaster. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      11.4 KB · Views: 134

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you keep in mind they are a budget rifle, it'll justify some of the issues with them (crap trigger, crap mags) but the one thing I can't stand is the bolt does not lock on safe. Several times I have had the rifle on my back during a long walk to the stand, and the bolt opens up and ejects the cartridge in to the dirt. I can't stand that.

Other than that, not many complaints.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom