• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Got to finally spend some hunting time with my son... he leaves for the Air Force December 12th. When he was younger we used to make the trip up to Aucilla, FL to hunt property I own with my brothers. As he got older, other things attracted his interest, such as cars and girls... for a while there, I lost my hunting buddy.

This weekend we got a chance to go reconnect with deer hunting... I tried to put him in the best possible spots but the deer did not cooperate for him but they did for me.

He got to see lots of doe and some other bucks, just not something he wanted to shoot. Sunday evening he hunted his favorite spot and had several does come to the feeder... he could hear steps running up and down the fence line between the food plot and pines... he could hear grunts... but when it got too dark to see good enough for a clean shot, the buck came out and walked within 10 or so feet of my sons stand, all he could do was see the outline of big antlers.

I saw a 5-pt sticking to a doe but she didn't seem to interested really, based on that and what my son observed, along with TONS of fresh scrapes and rubs, I think the rut is about to happen... so we are headed back this weekend and I sure hope he gets to take a nice one.

As for me, my brother is on a limited income and expressed a STRONG desire to have some meat so I took these two bucks, one Friday am and one the next am on Saturday. Both shot with a .243 at about 30 or so yards... DRT.

Once he leaves, it's back to smashing hogs and coyote for fun. I'm sure going to miss him.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    What a great story having a great time with your son. Its so good to see that connection and you may not believe it, even though he didn't get his deer, he was the winner because he got to spend quality time with you. Way to go!

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did the same w/ my baby last year (no military off to college) but couldn't get him on any bucks. I didn't hunt much at all and ZERO deer fer me. This year it's all about ME!!! hahaha Now my oldest in the Naval Academy is coming back in December and wanting me to put him on some deer and I have a bunch of bucks on camera so hopefully one will cooperate with him...

Glad ya'll had a great sending off!!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    No family here but mostly hunt with my wife. She went out with me two times during the early season. We have only one plot/area now,with one shooting house on it. It is plenty big for two people (8'X8' inside),and comfortable sitting.
    We saw several smaller bucks that were not club legal and does on Friday,too small to put my doe tag on. Will hunt with my thermal gun when the season reopens and sit until 10:30PM looking to get a shot at a hog or coyote.
    Will be "guiding" a Wounded Warrior on at least one hunt when season reopens. ---- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks for the comments... we will head out this Friday for another great weekend... this time I hope he gets the action!

Top Bottom