• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I picked up my WASR and spent several hours on Sat cleaning it. I Frog Lubed everything metal except the hammer and trigger groups. I did not want to remove them and deal with the "Bendy Paper Clip Thingy" (someone else nomenclature). In my readings it is suggested that the "clip" be replaced with a retainer plate. Where do you AK gurus suggest that I get one? Also, is there any one specific web site that has better parts coupled with better prices?

OK, now a re-assembly story from the newbie you guys can laugh at. Everything went pretty well on re-assembly until I was trying to bet the bolt assembly re-inserted into to receiver. The piston would go into the gas tube OK, I had the bolt positioned forward but I could not get the bolt carrier to slide onto the rails. Pull it out, take the bolt out, put the bolt carrier onto the rails and the carrier aligns onto the rails and slides forward. Take the carrier out, put the bolt back in the carrier and try and get the carrier onto the rails and no go. I can't remember how many times I tried getting it to go with no success. I finally went to YouTube and eventually found out the I had to depress the carrier down to get it onto the rails. Lesson learned the hard way. There for awhile I was afraid that I was going to have to swallow my pride and ask Loki if I could come to his house and have him re-assemble my AK for me!

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Lol, don't feel bad. I thought I broke my bolt carrier when I got my first AK, because I did the same thing.

Retainer plate is definitely the way to go. Here is one. They're also available at MidwayUSA and a few other places; cheap parts and definitely worth the money. Don't be afraid of the trigger group, it all goes together very easily. The worst part of the whole thing is the hammer spring - it WILL bite you if you're not careful. You can use a small thin tool to pull the springs up and behind the hammer, then cap the whole thing with something (I've seen empty 12 gauge hulls, the cap from the AK cleaning kit, etc) to hold the springs captive. Also, pay attention to the disconnector spring when you're taking out the trigger pin - very easily lost. I think the G2 triggers in the WASRs have a sleeve that holds everything together so it shouldn't be a problem, but just be aware. Easy peasy.

Other than the plate, what kind of parts are you looking for?

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not sure about any specific additional parts right now. I figured that if I buy some inexpensive part (like the plate) and have to pay some large shipping rate I might get something else at the same time/order. I might consider a scope/holo/red dot mount.

Thanks for the reco.

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'll echo what Fear said, don't feel bad, we all have those - "It was that simple? How did I not see that" moments.

If you ever have questions or need help I'm happy to do what I can.

I'll shoot you a PM with some of the sources I use / have used for parts.

Top Bottom