• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys,

In the spirit of never ending position improvement, just wondering what are some of the things you guys have seen, employ or recommend in a layered home defense system?

Assuming firearms are a part of it of course but additionally taking into account the new tech and types of home security systems out there. Where do you feel your most comfortable?

Without going into detail of course there are some standards that I think every system needs at a minimum. Sensors up the wazoo, glass break sensors, redundancy sensors, motion activated cameras, enough to cover any entry points and those to cover dead space. The in home hub to see every angle simo, panic codes/buttons, etc etc.

What else with all the new tech rolling out lately are you guys seeing? A lot of wireless stuff is popping up lately. There is this Ring doorbell camera thing that could augment I guess. Having foot approach and vehicular angles covered is a must. Redundancy to ensure proper vid if the crook thinks he is slick with a spray can or hammer, and is probably not tracking sensors for that.

I don't think there is an all in one system in the box and you have to tailor make your security system using a variety of services and equipment operating in unison or as redundancy. But I have seen some pretty good all inclusive kits out there.

What have you guys seen that works well. Like I said its all about position improvement all the time, gotta evolve as stuff evolves.

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A dog that will bark. Looking impressively ferocious is a plus. Actually willing and eager to bite an intruder is a bigger plus, but translates into financial liability. Cheap, tested over time, and effective.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep love it. Simple and effective. Crooks gotta be committed to take on a pissed off dog while the owner has plenty of time for good shot placement if needed.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Cameras monitoring all approaches to both home and shop. Big dog outside who will bark at noises in the dark and an ankle biter inside pretty much is what I have. A whole lot more can be done. You can install geophones which sense the vibration of anyone crossing your perimeter and can be tied to an alarm just depends on how much you can afford and what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never heard of the geophones, gonna look those us. Sound pretty cool. Home security and denfense systems fascinate me cause they are always evolving.

Gotta take yourself out of that military mentality and apply initial non lethal solutions to a layered plan. As much as we would all like claymores and pungi pits lol.

High tech mixed with tried and true methods blended together to form a cohesive plan is always a good thing and would make jerks think twice about trying to make off with valuables bought with honest folks hard earned money.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I use to run a seismic survey crew and we used geophones and the cables they plugged into to pick up the vibrations from blowing up 20lbs charges of dynamite. The dynamite was placed 200’ underground in a drilled hole. I don’t know if there is even a system you can buy that use them. I could keep up with what my crew was doing by the read-outs from the geophones and always thought about how they could be used for security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never heard of the geophones, gonna look those us.

The military uses them. In fact they used to drop them on the Ho-Chi-Min trail, disguised as natural vegetation. I think if you stop by the Armament Museum you'll find some on display.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What else with all the new tech rolling out lately are you guys seeing? A lot of wireless stuff is popping up lately. There is this Ring doorbell camera thing that could augment I guess. Having foot approach and vehicular angles covered is a must. Redundancy to ensure proper vid if the crook thinks he is slick with a spray can or hammer, and is probably not tracking sensors for that.

Wireless is cool and all but not really a good idea because they are easily defeated. I could drive by with my portable spectrum analyzer find out the freq that you cameras are running on and build a jammer pretty easy. But most home based security cameras are running on standard Wifi freq's 2.4 or 5.8. So even easier to jam. Most bad guys don't have a clue.... But you never know

If you want a good system have all your cameras with shielded cables direct wired.

You are correct to have different system and services. I do have separate systems setup and have it setup where they record locally and to a offsite server. Kinda useless if someone breaks in and gets your DVR that your cameras are going to. LOL

I have a high end 16 CH camera system as well as a few wireless ones running.

I'm an electronic computer guy and this stuff is my work and hobby so I play around with it alot.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Make sure you have a good ups if you are relying on electronics.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Make sure you have a good ups if you are relying on electronics.

Oh yea forgot to mention that. All mine are and will run for hours and hours...

And keep your stuff in a very good safe. Fort Knox is my fav... Get the extra liner inside to make it next to impossible to even torch yourself inside of it.

Last edited:

CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Scary thing is he's only eight months old. He has been a great dog thus far! Zero signs of aggression towards family friends or other pets. Whether or not he would be protective to a stranger at least the looks of him is a deterrent. When I take him out in public we don't have a lot of people lined up to givie hugs and kisses.lol

latch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    claymores
    a wolf
    sharks with lasers
    definitely a wolf

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wireless is cool and all but not really a good idea because they are easily defeated. I could drive by with my portable spectrum analyzer find out the freq that you cameras are running on and build a jammer pretty easy. But most home based security cameras are running on standard Wifi freq's 2.4 or 5.8. So even easier to jam. Most bad guys don't have a clue.... But you never know

If you want a good system have all your cameras with shielded cables direct wired.

You are correct to have different system and services. I do have separate systems setup and have it setup where they record locally and to a offsite server. Kinda useless if someone breaks in and gets your DVR that your cameras are going to. LOL

I have a high end 16 CH camera system as well as a few wireless ones running.

I'm an electronic computer guy and this stuff is my work and hobby so I play around with it alot.

Great point on the freq analyzing. Though yeah most don’t have a clue if they really wanted in, the wireless portion is an easy bypass for someone that knows. With everything trending wireless these days it won’t be long till they figure it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom